I'm really mad right now.

Smellin Coffee

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
DeVos is planning on cutting funding for Special Olympics in her new school budget. As a certified coach for Special Olympics, nothing pisses me off (I don't care if you consider that cussing) that these deserving folks will lose a program that is essential to their physical, emotional and social well-being.

Special Olympics is an international nonprofit that provided and environment for folks with disabilities to be able to participate in both team and individual sports. 5 million people with special needs participate world-wide. $18 million dollars of the national budget has been set aside for Special Olympics, set up in the public education system's budget. Even with such a budget, local chapters still have to do a majority of their own fundraising and state chapters provide training for coaches, limited equipment resources and help out with field/court rentals. Many (not all) SO offices are located in a local public high school. Funding for SO at the national level provides grants to assist in travel, transportation as well as space rental.

Very few employees are hired by Special Olympics (our entire county has just one employee with almost 2000 participating athletes) so the majority of "employees" are volunteers.

Many of the athletes live in group homes and this is their only opportunity outside their facility each week. Some, the only "vacation travel" they get is to go to Raleigh to spend two nights at the state games.  THIS IS THEIR EVERYTHING that they look forward too every year.

Special Olympics provides emotional support not only to the athlete, but caregivers who can "take a break" for 1-2 hours a week away from their special needs loved one. For the athletes, it creates important community while providing sportsmanship, cooperation, strategy and even teaches athletes how to "lose" with grace. Participation makes the athletes feel human and accepted. To see their faces light up when I talk to them shows that they don't get the "average" human interaction they need to feel as important as they are. This program is vital to so many people with these disabilities and yet DeVos wants to cut all that out. Once again, the Trump administration deals a blow to the "down and out" in this country, telling them how unloved and undeserving they are.

The longer this administration keeps going, the further away from the heart of God the Predator-in-Chief is pulling folks, particularly "Christian" folks, away from the heart of God.

So you preachers, go on with your religious cosplay and defy the God who loves the marginalized. Go ahead and criticize me, I don't care.

I've had enough of your so-called Christianity and support for the evil that keeps growing in the Oval Office, that does everything in its power to take from the marginalized to further financially strengthen the wealthy.

As a follower of Jesus and as a coach in 3 sports for Special Olympic athletes, I take this personally and give a huge middle-finger salute to the Predator-in-Chief along with his political allies who support his destructive behaviors to the poor and marginalized.

There is no constitutional authority given to the Federal government to have a "Dept. of Education", hence they should defund and delete the entire department.

You should be "mad" that such a department evens exists.

Smellin Coffee said:
DeVos is planning on cutting funding for Special Olympics in her new school budget. As a certified coach for Special Olympics, nothing pisses me off (I don't care if you consider that cussing) that these deserving folks will lose a program that is essential to their physical, emotional and social well-being.

Special Olympics is an international nonprofit that provided and environment for folks with disabilities to be able to participate in both team and individual sports. 5 million people with special needs participate world-wide. $18 million dollars of the national budget has been set aside for Special Olympics, set up in the public education system's budget. Even with such a budget, local chapters still have to do a majority of their own fundraising and state chapters provide training for coaches, limited equipment resources and help out with field/court rentals. Many (not all) SO offices are located in a local public high school. Funding for SO at the national level provides grants to assist in travel, transportation as well as space rental.

Very few employees are hired by Special Olympics (our entire county has just one employee with almost 2000 participating athletes) so the majority of "employees" are volunteers.

Many of the athletes live in group homes and this is their only opportunity outside their facility each week. Some, the only "vacation travel" they get is to go to Raleigh to spend two nights at the state games.  THIS IS THEIR EVERYTHING that they look forward too every year.

Special Olympics provides emotional support not only to the athlete, but caregivers who can "take a break" for 1-2 hours a week away from their special needs loved one. For the athletes, it creates important community while providing sportsmanship, cooperation, strategy and even teaches athletes how to "lose" with grace. Participation makes the athletes feel human and accepted. To see their faces light up when I talk to them shows that they don't get the "average" human interaction they need to feel as important as they are. This program is vital to so many people with these disabilities and yet DeVos wants to cut all that out. Once again, the Trump administration deals a blow to the "down and out" in this country, telling them how unloved and undeserving they are.

The longer this administration keeps going, the further away from the heart of God the Predator-in-Chief is pulling folks, particularly "Christian" folks, away from the heart of God.

So you preachers, go on with your religious cosplay and defy the God who loves the marginalized. Go ahead and criticize me, I don't care.

I've had enough of your so-called Christianity and support for the evil that keeps growing in the Oval Office, that does everything in its power to take from the marginalized to further financially strengthen the wealthy.

As a follower of Jesus and as a coach in 3 sports for Special Olympic athletes, I take this personally and give a huge middle-finger salute to the Predator-in-Chief along with his political allies who support his destructive behaviors to the poor and marginalized.

Muller is also looking into this...so rest easy Elmer.  ;)

Mr. Welch mentions the problem of having what Smellin' is mad about.

Of course, Mr. Welch was right, but we have gone the wrong directions.

http://www.facebook.com/derekmke/videos/2007209506239998/

Smellin Coffee said:

Well said!! Special Olympics is something truly wonderful. Seeing the joy on those athlete's faces, watching them compete and then celebrate, whether or not they came in first place, well, it's awesome.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Smellin Coffee said:

Muller is also looking into this...so rest easy Elmer.  ;)

I'm not surprised how you as an Evangelical Christian, demonstrate about the same amount of compassion as your idol:

2016-09-29-1475164737-9931318-Trumpmockingdisabled.jpg

Smellin a Crock:
As a follower of A Jesus and as a coach in 3 sports for Special Olympic athletes, I take this personally and give a huge middle-finger salute to the Predator-in-Chief along with his political allies who support his destructive behaviors to the poor and marginalized.

I also volunteer in the SO and support it with $...as do many, many others.
We don?t need the gubmit to support everything we do...besides the only money gubmit has is ours.

I didn't know it was the government's responsibility to fund Special Olympics, or for that matter Planned Parenthood, or a myriad of the other things it funds!

T-Bone said:
I didn't know it was the government's responsibility to fund Special Olympics, or for that matter Planned Parenthood, or a myriad of the other things it funds!
It's all part of 'compassion'.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Smellin a Crock:
As a follower of A Jesus and as a coach in 3 sports for Special Olympic athletes, I take this personally and give a huge middle-finger salute to the Predator-in-Chief along with his political allies who support his destructive behaviors to the poor and marginalized.

We don?t need the gubmit to support everything we do...besides the only money gubmit has is ours.

Yes. Giving shouldn't be forced.

Many things can be true at one:

1. The Special Olympics are awesome and they should continue.
2. They should not be federally funded.  The money should come from donors and sponsors which I am sure there would be plenty of for such a good cause.
3. Many things that we like are also federally funded and we never complain about them because we support them or they benefit us.
4. Not funding the Special Olympics while still funding other programs does show a lack of support and appreciation for the disabled.
5. Trump is an idiot, a liar, an adulterer, and a very effective and productive president....all at the same time :)

16KJV11 said:
T-Bone said:

Actually, it's a description of the "unalienable rights" which the Declaration says have been given to all humans by their Creator, and which indicates the government is created to protect. Key word: "life". Special Olympics, Medicare, Medicaid, ACA, etc. are examples of organizations/programs that extend "life". Which is why it just baffles me why Americans who claim to follow Christ and claim to be "pro-life" deny these kinds of things when these ideals support the teachings laid out by Jesus as well as fit the purpose of government according to the Declaration of Independence.

If being against abortion is an example of the unalienable "right to life", so is providing healthcare and services to those who cannot afford it, enabling them to extend their life (as well as be in opposition to capital punishment and war). Special Olympics is one of those services which help extend "life" via opportunities that would not normally be accessible without funding.

Not to mention the ethics of compassion... ;)

Tarheel Baptist said:
Smellin a Crock:

Nothing like narcissistic deflection. :)

Smellin Coffee said:
16KJV11 said:
T-Bone said:

Actually, it's a description of the "unalienable rights" which the Declaration says have been given to all humans by their Creator, and which indicates the government is created to protect. Key word: "life". Special Olympics, Medicare, Medicaid, ACA, etc. are examples of organizations/programs that extend "life". Which is why it just baffles me why Americans who claim to follow Christ and claim to be "pro-life" deny these kinds of things when these ideals support the teachings laid out by Jesus as well as fit the purpose of government according to the Declaration of Independence.

If being against abortion is an example of the unalienable "right to life", so is providing healthcare and services to those who cannot afford it, enabling them to extend their life (as well as be in opposition to capital punishment and war). Special Olympics is one of those services which help extend "life" via opportunities that would not normally be accessible without funding.

Not to mention the ethics of compassion... ;)

This is where we have a fundamental disagreement.  I believe the government is there to protect my "natural rights" not to provide them.  You may not agree with my position, but you need to understand it to fully appreciate where I am coming from.

I have the right to personal property.  The government was created to make sure nobody could take away my property without due process.  Thus, we fund a military so foreign invaders can't take my stuff along with a police force to protect my property from my fellow citizens.  Government was not created to provide me with property.

I have the right to buy and sell my labor or property to earn a living.  The government was created to make sure nobody stood in my way from lawful and safe transactions.  Government was not created to provide me with money even if it benefited me and made my life better.

I have the right to purchase the expertise, labor, and products of medical professionals and drug companies.  The goverment was created to ensure that everyone has the same opportunity to purchase and recieve medical care.  The goverment was not created to provide medical care or guarantee everyone the same level of care despite their ability to pay.

These are a few examples of where we differ on the role of government.  I prefer charity and compassion over forced confiscation and redistribution.  I get no blessing when I pay my taxes but I get fully blessed when I give freely to my neighbor.  In fact, I give to Jesus when I give to others.  Taxes are paid "grudgingly and out of necessity" but rarely because I am a cheerful giver.

Forced "christinanity" is no "christianity" at all.

Smellin Coffee said:
Actually, it's a description of the "unalienable rights" which the Declaration says have been given to all humans by their Creator, and which indicates the government is created to protect. Key word: "life". Special Olympics, Medicare, Medicaid, ACA, etc. are examples of organizations/programs that extend "life".

Who is being deprived of life by not funding the Special Olympics with tax money?

Which is why it just baffles me why Americans who claim to follow Christ and claim to be "pro-life" deny these kinds of things when these ideals support the teachings laid out by Jesus as well as fit the purpose of government according to the Declaration of Independence.

Yes, you are easily baffled, aren't you?

Smellin Coffee said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Smellin a Crock:

Nothing like narcissistic deflection. :)

I forgot Smellin...YOU and you ALONE are loving, compassionate and caring!
And you are, of course, my (and your) hero.