Interesting Sunday.

abcaines

Staff member
Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Several weeks ago, the transportation supervisor where I work resigned and the search was on for his replacement. I served on the interview committee that ultimately selected the replacement whose first day on the job is tomorrow.

This morning, as church was starting, who should walk through the door but the new supervisor!

When I served on the interview committee, I did so because I wanted to have some input in the selection process. My goal wasn't to pick a "cool" supervisor who would get along with the staff; I genuinely wanted to see someone come in and succeed. This guy impressed the committee with his attitude and organizational skills. It was a no brainer for the whole committee to recommend him to proceed through the hiring process. When word came back that his references spoke highly of him, and he was offered the position, I, with the rest of the department were very pleased.

Of course, I had opportunity to speak with him at length after the service and I was able to offer him encouragement... he's basically stepping into a mess but I want to see him succeed. He seems to be a strong believer and he's up for the challenge. He mentioned to me that before he walked into the church this morning, he had a funny feeling that he'd bump into someone who works at the bus yard.

Another plus is that he's a fellow rider and is interested in riding with our CMA chapter.

So, yeah. I'm totally stoked right now.

Mind. Blown. 🤯

Last edited:
Well... Interesting Thursday...

Our new supervisor, Dan, has jumped in feet first and is learning the ropes. He's made favorable impressions on many. Because he's a fellow believer and not ashamed to let it be known, I have had great liberty to affirm him and let him know I am praying for him.

This morning, his presence was particularly comforting. As many of you know I drive a special education bus. As such, there is an aide on the bus with me. This aide, Johnny, and I have become friends over the course of the year. After dropping off kids and preparing to return to the yard, Johnny had a grand mal seizure. Having dealt with kids in similar situations, my training kicked in and I provided the necessary care for him as well as calling in medical assistance. Of course, the supervisor was called and he arrived about the same time as the ambulance. After things were taken care of, I began to decompress and my emotions started to well up. Dan, offered to ride with me back to the bus yard, an offer I readily accepted. Once we got back, he sat with me and debriefed. I've done this before with other supervisors but this time, I was able to do so with a fellow believer. Oh how refreshing it was to be able to share with him as we prayed for Johnny. (Tears are streaming down my face as I write this.)

I have been able to speak with Johnny since and he's doing as well as can be expected. As you can imagine, he has some things to consider and to pray about concerning his future with the district.

For my part, I have elected to take the rest of the day off because I don't want to be driving kids around and not have my head in the game. I've been through other situations and I know that even if I feel better, I'm still not in any shape to drive. Speaking with Johnny has been a HUGE help and I am confident that tomorrow, after a good night sleep, I will be back at full strength.

Words cannot describe how grateful I am for God's grace and providence in bringing all the players together as He has in this situation.

Please lift my friend Johnny up in prayer as he considers his future with the bus yard. Also, pray for Dan; this new position is not starting off gently, to say the least.

Last edited:
I drive school bus too, and have driven many a special education bus. Management at the yard is one job I do not envy and I honestly don't know how they all don't have hypertension and strokes.

I drive school bus too, and have driven many a special education bus. Management at the yard is one job I do not envy and I honestly don't know how they all don't have hypertension and strokes.
It takes special kind of crazy to do this job.