Is Clarence Sexton running for a political office?

Matthew1323

Elect
Reaction score
I was traveling south on I-75 just past the Merchant's Road exit when I caught a glimpse of a large picture of Sexton on a billboard on the left side of the interstate. Since I was merging to the right in heavy traffic to get on the bypass of Knoxville, I was not able to read what was on the billboard.

Does anyone know if he is running for some sort of political office now?

Any update on this?

Twisted said:
Any update on this?

Last Monday, I drove by the interstate billboard again and saw the photo of Sexton covering about 1/3 of the billboard with what I believe is a picture of a Temple Baptist Church building with a slogan that I can not recall.

Matthew1323 said:
Twisted said:
Any update on this?

Last Monday, I drove by the interstate billboard again and saw the photo of Sexton covering about 1/3 of the billboard with what I believe is a picture of a Temple Baptist Church building with a slogan that I can not recall.

So he's running for the title of "Preacher With the Biggest Billboard in TN"?

Twisted said:
Matthew1323 said:
Twisted said:
Any update on this?

Isn't he the one running the (compromised) Baptist Friends International?

Twisted said:
Matthew1323 said:
Twisted said:
Any update on this?

Maybe, biggest in Knoxville?

I have seen other advertising billboards in Knoxville with a giant picture of a pastor and his wife, another with just the pastor, and of course Sexton's. There may be some sort of competition now?

I must say that Sexton has been doing this for a long time. Back when he first took over Temple, I remember, he had church billboards that had the motto: "Come Home!"

Walt said:
Twisted said:
Matthew1323 said:
Twisted said:
Any update on this?

I think that is the name of one of the groups that he heads? 

I understand that he is friends with those that may not agree in all areas and those that may not want to be friends with each other. There will always be divisions and infighting in regards to various perspectives of understanding and one's standards. This seems to be common, even among the various IFB camps.  Is this what you mean by compromised?

Matthew1323 said:
Twisted said:
Matthew1323 said:
Twisted said:
Any update on this?

I have seen other advertising billboards in Knoxville with a giant picture of a pastor and his wife, another with just the pastor, and of course Sexton's. There may be some sort of competition now?

I must say that Sexton has been doing this for a long time. Back when he first took over Temple, I remember, he had church billboards that had the motto: "Come Home!"

In regards to the "Come Home" slogan, I began to gain a perspective concerning it when I attended one of the tent meetings in the front parking lot. This was before their new auditorium was built and Crown College was still at the main campus.

At these special meetings Sexton would sometimes have other preachers pray, or just to be recognized. That evening he introduced the pastor of the another local IFB church with a Knoxville address and the same church name as Temple's. Sexton then made a comment about that preacher cashing a check that was intended for Temple Baptist of Powell??? There was an uneasy laugh by the audience. That incident and others made me think that maybe the slogan on the billboard should have been lengthened to, 'Come Home and Bring your Money too!'

Matthew1323 said:
Walt said:
Twisted said:
Matthew1323 said:
Twisted said:
Any update on this?

I understand that he is friends with those that may not agree in all areas and those that may not want to be friends with each other. There will always be divisions and infighting in regards to various perspectives of understanding and one's standards. This seems to be common, even among the various IFB camps.  Is this what you mean by compromised?

By "compromised", I mean that IFBI doesn't appear to stand for much of anything, except evangelism.  There is much more to the Scriptures that that one doctrine.  Yet, IFBI allows speakers that are Calvinist, that are Southern Baptist, and pretty much anyone who seems to be getting good results.  I'm not talking about who he runs with - that is his business.  But what the IFBI preaches is my business to judge (Romans 16:17, and I Cor 14:29)

Walt said:
Matthew1323 said:
Walt said:
Twisted said:
Matthew1323 said:
Twisted said:
Any update on this?

By "compromised", I mean that IFBI doesn't appear to stand for much of anything, except evangelism.  There is much more to the Scriptures that that one doctrine.  Yet, IFBI allows speakers that are Calvinist, that are Southern Baptist, and pretty much anyone who seems to be getting good results.  I'm not talking about who he runs with - that is his business.  But what the IFBI preaches is my business to judge (Romans 16:17, and I Cor 14:29)

Thanks, for the clarification and your opinion. Though I still live in the area, I am at least 12 years removed from the man and his ministries.

That being said, if I am to err as a Christian and put too much emphasis on one thing over another then evangelism is a good thing to over emphasize, I believe.

Christ's message and life is that of reaching the lost. It is especially illustrated over and over in all four gospels and in Acts. I believe that there is rejoicing in heaven over one's repenting (Luke 15:6-7). I also like James 5:19-20 and many other passages that show the strong emphasis that our Lord Jesus Christ put on this subject.

We can spend our time and emphasis on feeding the poor, fighting injustices, playing in politics, crusading for a just causes, and even preaching and teaching the at church. All of this is good, but it is eternally worthless without the eternal gospel, IMO!

Matthew1323 said:
Matthew1323 said:
Twisted said:
Matthew1323 said:
Twisted said:
Any update on this?

In regards to the "Come Home" slogan, I began to gain a perspective concerning it when I attended one of the tent meetings in the front parking lot. This was before their new auditorium was built and Crown College was still at the main campus.

At these special meetings Sexton would sometimes have other preachers pray, or just to be recognized. That evening he introduced the pastor of the another local IFB church with a Knoxville address and the same church name as Temple's. Sexton then made a comment about that preacher cashing a check that was intended for Temple Baptist of Powell??? There was an uneasy laugh by the audience. That incident and others made me think that maybe the slogan on the billboard should have been lengthened to, 'Come Home and Bring your Money too!'
Ooooo....I think I know that pastor and am friends with him...

Matthew1323 said:
Walt said:
Matthew1323 said:
Walt said:
Twisted said:
Matthew1323 said:
Twisted said:
Any update on this?

Thanks, for the clarification and your opinion. Though I still live in the area, I am at least 12 years removed from the man and his ministries.

That being said, if I am to err as a Christian and put too much emphasis on one thing over another then evangelism is a good thing to over emphasize, I believe.

Christ's message and life is that of reaching the lost. It is especially illustrated over and over in all four gospels and in Acts. I believe that there is rejoicing in heaven over one's repenting (Luke 15:6-7). I also like James 5:19-20 and many other passages that show the strong emphasis that our Lord Jesus Christ put on this subject.

We can spend our time and emphasis on feeding the poor, fighting injustices, playing in politics, crusading for a just causes, and even preaching and teaching the at church. All of this is good, but it is eternally worthless without the eternal gospel, IMO!

Or we can just be Biblical - there is no requirement that one must err and put too much emphasis on anything.  The Scriptures tell us to be FIRST pure before we pursue peace.  In my opinion, Clarence Sexton is compromising the truth for the sake of "bigness".