Is FBC KJV Only?

Bruh said:
JS was crazy, but not crazy enough to replace the KJV at FBCH.

He spent money like a mad man, cursed ppl out said perverted things about the Lords table and other perverted things behind the pulpit BUT you bes believe he KNEW BETTER than to replace the KJV bible at FBCH.

From what I understand they were willing to cover up when he was molesting that teenage girl but if he would have attempted to replace the KJV bible they would have voted him out.

Unfortunately for FBC, the Bible and God Himself was replaced with JS himself. I think that our Lord has now graciously given him ample time to think about and reconcile his error,

TidesofTruth said:
After hearing Bro. Wilkerson for some time now it seems that this is an issue that he doesn't want to fight over.  He uses the KJV.  He believes he holds in the kjv God's perfect preserved word.  It does not limit him from checking Greek and Hebrew whatsoever.  He doesn't seem to be one who believes the KJV corrects the originals. 

If a man wants to use the KJV as the Bible he preaches and studies out of then let the man do so.  It has proven to be trustworthy in both practice and influence for many hundreds of years now.

What I have a problem with is those who were once KJV who then decided to change their Bible of Choice to be just as much Judaizers being antagonistic of the KJV and any and all who use it. 

Baptist are Baptist for good reasons.  1 of them is soul liberty. 

Such pride and arrogance of the now more learned freebirders.  Its palpable.

Excellent post.

TidesofTruth said:
Norefund said:
Is it antagonistic of the KJV to use an NIV or ASV and believe them to be better translations?

TidesofTruth said:
After hearing Bro. Wilkerson for some time now it seems that this is an issue that he doesn't want to fight over.  He uses the KJV.  He believes he holds in the kjv God's perfect preserved word.  It does not limit him from checking Greek and Hebrew whatsoever.  He doesn't seem to be one who believes the KJV corrects the originals. 

If a man wants to use the KJV as the Bible he preaches and studies out of then let the man do so.  It has proven to be trustworthy in both practice and influence for many hundreds of years now.

What I have a problem with is those who were once KJV who then decided to change their Bible of Choice to be just as much Judaizers being antagonistic of the KJV and any and all who use it. 

No, use what you want.  Just leave those that use kjv alone and don't think you have any superiority over them.

Yes, this works in both directions.

RAIDER said:
bgwilkinson said:
JW agreed to our by-laws, they do not exclude those who are not KJVO.

I am certainly not KJVO.

As an honest deacon I think you should go to JW and tell him that you are not KJV only.  I'm sure he won't care.

I met with him shortly after he became pastor. We discussed the writing of the by-laws and why they say what they say. They were written at a time when the church was very fragile. All of the writers of the by-laws are in opposition to the KJVO position that says only the KJV is the word of God. More specifically, against the theory of double inspiration that gives rise to the "KJV can correct the Hebrew and the Greek", false doctrine.

We know that we have many people in our congregation that are died in the wool KJVOxers while at the same time there are many who are much less vocal but who are just as opposed to the KJVO position.

This one issue has been used to divide and destroy many good New Testament congregations and we did not want that happening at FBCH. We had the fixings for a good fight.

We realized that good people can disagree and that we had to come up something that both sides could affirm.

So this two sentence footnote is the result. Lawyers helped craft the by-laws.

The by-laws state in the footnote and explanation of the main Scripture point;

"God has divinely preserved His words for English-speaking people in the King James Version."

KJVOs can affirm and all of us who are not KJVO can also affirm this without any reservation.
We can also affirm that God has used other valid versions to preserve His words for English-speaking people too.
This is implied because the word only is not used.

"The King James Version is the translation used in any and all ministries of First Baptist Church for English-speaking people."

This wording was found to be satisfactory to both factions.

Please be aware that the by-laws do not say the KJV shall be the only Bible version used in any and all ministries of First Baptist Church for English-speaking people, rather it states a general fact that indicates the current practice of the congregation is to use the KJV translation in all the ministries.

This is a soul liberty issue. We listened to him give several sessions on Baptist Distinctives while he was still at the old church. He is big on soul liberty and priesthood of the believer as am I.

He prefers to use the KJV for all public use, which is just fine with me, I like it too as it's keyed to the Hebrew and Greek in most phone apps. It's a win win all around.

So the result is that those who want to use the kJV will still hear it in public and those that want to use other versions can do so as well, both are acceptable.

Soul liberty.

We don't have to run the lives of others. They can make their own choices.

bgwilkinson said:
RAIDER said:
bgwilkinson said:

I am certainly not KJVO.

As an honest deacon I think you should go to JW and tell him that you are not KJV only.  I'm sure he won't care.

I met with him shortly after he became pastor. We discussed the writing of the by-laws and why they say what they say. They were written at a time when the church was very fragile. All of the writers of the by-laws are in opposition to the KJVO position that says only the KJV is the word of God. More specifically, against the theory of double inspiration that gives rise to the "KJV can correct the Hebrew and the Greek", false doctrine.

We know that we have many people in our congregation that are died in the wool KJVOxers while at the same time there are many who are much less vocal but who are just as opposed to the KJVO position.

This one issue has been used to divide and destroy many good New Testament congregations and we did not want that happening at FBCH. We had the fixings for a good fight.

We realized that good people can disagree and that we had to come up something that both sides could affirm.

"God has divinely preserved His words for English-speaking people in the King James Version."

KJVOs can affirm and all of us who are not KJVO can also affirm this without any reservation.
We can also affirm that God has used other valid versions to preserve His words for English-speaking people too.

"The King James Version is the translation used in any and all ministries of First Baptist Church for English-speaking people."

Please be aware that the by-laws do not say the KJV shall be the only Bible version used in any and all ministries of First Baptist Church for English-speaking people, rather it states a general fact that indicates the current practice of the congregation is to use the KJV translation in all the ministries.

This is a soul liberty issue. We listened to him give several sessions on Baptist Distinctives while he was still at the old church. He is big on soul liberty and priesthood of the believer as am I.

He prefers to use the KJV for all public use, which is just fine with me, I like it too as it's keyed to the Hebrew and Greek in most phone apps. It's a win win all around.

So the result is that those who want to use the kJV will still hear it in public and those that want to use other versions can do so as well, both are acceptable.

Soul liberty.

Well, I guess this was addressed in a clear and well thought out manner. Even in this instance, the extremes will probably not be satisfied unless they conquer completely in this great controversy and receive an unconditional surrender.

rsc2a said:
What is FBC's teaching when differences are found in the KJV and other translations?

That should be easy enough. I've never heard of an NIV only movement.

TidesofTruth said:
Norefund said:
Is it antagonistic of the KJV to use an NIV or ASV and believe them to be better translations?

TidesofTruth said:

No, use what you want.  Just leave those that use kjv alone and don't think you have any superiority over them.

Norefund said:
That should be easy enough. I've never heard of an NIV only movement.

TidesofTruth said:
Norefund said:

TidesofTruth said:

No but there is an "everything BUT the KJV movement". 

I've never heard of that either. I really don't think those who prefer dynamic translations are opposed to the KJV - at least not in the same way that KJVonly people ae opposed to dynamic translations. Do you have any examples? Have you ever heard the KJV referred to as a Devil's Bible?

Norefund said:
I've never heard of that either. I really don't think those who prefer dynamic translations are opposed to the KJV - at least not in the same way that KJVonly people ae opposed to dynamic translations. Do you have any examples? Have you ever heard the KJV referred to as a Devil's Bible?

Strawman - how gauche.

Countless times I have heard the vitriol against the KJV.  Online, in person numerous amounts of former KJV people who think they have arrived as the end all be all theologians with the evangelism of an AA 30 day coin award winner.

Your experience is quite different than mine. I have been on the receiving end of scorn, ridicule and hostility for using the NIV and attending a church that primarily uses it - sometimes by family members. Our pastor will also make reference to other versions including the KJV when trying to use the best way to illustrate his point. Those that use the KJV don't normally ever make reference to a modern version even if it adds clarity. From my perspective, the vitriol is pretty much one way.

Straw man ? OK. Here's another (I guess). Have you ever heard anyone state that salvation can't be achieved if the soul winner was using a KJV?

There is a whole section of this forum dedicated to debating the merits and flaws of Bible versions. I have never partaken in that discussion and haven't read a single post in that section.

Tides,
I'm not (intentionally) trying to poke, prod or in any way anger you for fun. I just want to point out that this is a discussion forum about subjects that can cause one's internal temperature to rise a bit. If I crossed the line and hit a nerve, let me apologize in advance. Given your lengthy history at FBC, I want to be respectful when I debate. It's possible that I may actually know you. I'll try very hard to argue my point without making it personal. If I cross that line, call me on it. Deal?

TidesofTruth said:
Norefund said:

Strawman - how gauche.

Countless times I have heard the vitriol against the KJV.  Online, in person numerous amounts of former KJV people who think they have arrived as the end all be all theologians with the evangelism of an AA 30 day coin award winner.

Thank you for this explanation. It clarifies quite a bit. If I may ask one more question - in your discussion with JW, did you come away thinking that he is or isn't KJV-only? If you prefer not to answer, I understand.

bgwilkinson said:
RAIDER said:
bgwilkinson said:

I am certainly not KJVO.

Soul liberty.

I've never met anyone who is anti-KJV.

rsc2a said:
I've never met anyone who is anti-KJV.

I have.  I have friends who don't believe the Bible is God's Word.  :)

Matthew1323 said:
Bruh said:
JS was crazy, but not crazy enough to replace the KJV at FBCH.

He spent money like a mad man, cursed ppl out said perverted things about the Lords table and other perverted things behind the pulpit BUT you bes believe he KNEW BETTER than to replace the KJV bible at FBCH.

From what I understand they were willing to cover up when he was molesting that teenage girl but if he would have attempted to replace the KJV bible they would have voted him out.

Unfortunately for FBC, the Bible and God Himself was replaced with JS himself. I think that our Lord has now graciously given him ample time to think about and reconcile his error,

I'm sure you are correct.

But that wasn't the point. My point is, he could get away with a lot, but theKJV no FBCH would have RAN HIM OUT OF HAMMOND if he would have tried to replace the KJV.

BG is full of crap. JW is KJVO and If he wasn't he would not be pastor.

If 99% of FBCH wanted to include other versions he would go and pastor somewhere else. Believe that!!!!

Bruh said:

If 99% of FBCH wanted to include other versions he would go and pastor somewhere else. Believe that!!!!

Let one Sunday School teacher make a reference to "this word is better translated in the NIV" and see what happens.

RAIDER said:
Bruh said:

Let one Sunday School teacher make a reference to "this word is better translated in the NIV" and see what happens.

Exactly!!

BG doesnt understand that we've known FBCH/HAC before today.