Is the name the Holy Bible only for the KJV?

logos1560

Elect
Reaction score
Does the name "the Holy Bible" always refer to only or solely the KJV?
Does the KJV have sole and exclusive rights to this general name "the Holy Bible"?
Was the name "the Holy Bible" used for any other English translation before 1611?

The 1611 KJV was both a revision of earlier English translations (Tyndale's to Bishops') and a translation of the printed original-language text editions of Scripture.

While now know as or called the 1560 Geneva Bible, it had the following title on its title page in 1560:

The Bible and Holy Scriptures contained in the Old and New Testament, translated according to the Hebrew and Greek.

While accurately identified as the 1568 Bishops' Bible, it had the following on its title page:

The Holy Bible, containing the Old Testament and the New
Authorised and appointed to be read in churches.

The 1602 edition of the Bishops' Bible, which is the edition prepared by the printers of the 1611 KJV and given to the KJV translators as the starting point in English for their work, had the following on its title page:

The Holy Bible, containing the Old Testament and the New
Authorised and appointed to be read in churches

Thus, the 1611 KJV was not the first to have this title or name the Holy Bible. The 1611 KJV merely kept this name from the title page of the Bishops' Bible, even though the Church of England makers of the KJV made hundreds and thousands of changes to the text of the Bishops' Bible.

The Holy Bible [English translation] in the Bishops' Bible is not the same as the Holy Bible [English translation] in the 1611 KJV even though both had the same name on their title page.  One important difference between the title page of the Bishops' Bible and that of the KJV was that the KJV's title page did not have the word "authorized" on it.  To distinguish between an earlier English Bible translation and the KJV, it would soon be referred to as King James' version or translation or the translation made during the time of King James.

Some editions of the KJV were printed with the title The Holy Bible containing the Old Testament and New while other editions were printed with the title The Holy Bible containing the Old and New Testaments.

The 1833 Webster's Bible had the following on its title page:

The Holy Bible containing the Old and New Testaments in the common version with amendments to the language by Noah Webster.

In 1842, an English Bible had the following on its title page:

The Holy Bible, being the English Version of the Old and New Testament, made by order of King James I,
carefully revised and amended by several Biblical scholars.
Philadelphia: J. B. Lippincott, 1842.

In 1901, the American Standard Version was published with this title:

The Holy Bible containing the Old and New Testaments translated out of the original tongues.

A. D. 1901
Standard Edition
New York: Thomas Nelson & Sons, 1901.

The non-specific general name "the Holy Bible" does not identify to which Bible text or to which Bible translation someone is referring.

logos1560 said:

Well DUH!!!

Anyone who says otherwise is a no-count, panty-waisted, pink-tea-lemonade-sippin, lilly-livered, good-for-nothing, stinkin, liberal deadbeat.

Binaca Chugger said:
logos1560 said:

Well DUH!!!

Anyone who says otherwise is a no-count, panty-waisted, pink-tea-lemonade-sippin, lilly-livered, good-for-nothing, stinkin, liberal deadbeat.

Ditto that!

KJV-onlyists: The Bible can have no copyright!

Also KJV-onlyists: Only the KJV may be called the Holy Bible.

Leaving aside the fact that you can't copyright a title, do these clowns ever realize when they're caught in a contradiction?

Ransom said:
KJV-onlyists: The Bible can have no copyright!

Also KJV-onlyists: Only the KJV may be called the Holy Bible.

Leaving aside the fact that you can't copyright a title, do these clowns ever realize when they're caught in a contradiction?

I prefer "nut" to "clown".

Binaca Chugger said:
logos1560 said:

Well DUH!!!

You can't enjoy the KJV until you've read it in the original Zarus.  It just flows off your tongues.

IFB X-Files said:
Binaca Chugger said:
logos1560 said:

Well DUH!!!

You can't enjoy the KJV until you've read it in the original Zarus.  It just flows off your tongues.
I wrestled against a Zarris...

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk

Isn't Holy Bible just the cover some publishers put on Bibles they printed?

I can't even imagine a need for this thread.

prophet said:

STOP!!! If a "need" is the standard for posting... bye bye FFF!!! :D

The honorable Rev. FSSL said:
prophet said:

True, lol

Job security.

prophet said:
The honorable Rev. FSSL said:
prophet said:

True, lol

Job security.

His pay is based on the number of posts.

It's all about the numbers.