Is WHBC cold as ice these days?

Just me

Elect
Reaction score
I remember a visit to a church many years ago.  This church was in a big city in Colorado.  It was once a huge IFB church running in the thousands.  As has since become so typical, the pastor was caught in sin and fought long and hard to cover it up/deny it and do the IFB duck and cover.  Called up all his chips in the community and worked the IFB magic as best he could.  Well the people could no longer support him and they left in droves just like has happened to WHBC.

Walked in the front door that Sunday morning and into the auditorium.  It was huge and so empty.  It was dead and cold throughout the entire service and I felt like I could ice skate down the center isle.  Needless to say I never returned.

I wonder how it is walking into WHBC for a Sunday morning service these days?  I know the "sermons"
are dead and the attendance is sparse.  I would be willing to bet you could ice skate down the center isle too.

Just me said:
I remember a visit to a church many years ago.  This church was in a big city in Colorado.  It was once a huge IFB church running in the thousands.  As has since become so typical, the pastor was caught in sin and fought long and hard to cover it up/deny it and do the IFB duck and cover.  Called up all his chips in the community and worked the IFB magic as best he could.  Well the people could no longer support him and they left in droves just like has happened to WHBC.

What church was this?

I wonder how it is walking into WHBC for a Sunday morning service these days?  I know the "sermons"
are dead and the attendance is sparse.  I would be willing to bet you could ice skate down the center isle too.

I would have guessed that they are still preaching "hot" at the remaining few to not leave and to "git out there and work" to get the numbers back up.

It was an Independent Baptist Church in Denver Colorado in the 80's.

As for the preaching at WHBC....really?  Testimony of several on here tells otherwise.

I don't know that hot is the right word but for sure pushing soul winning like there is no tomorrow

JustABigKid said:
I don't know that hot is the right word but for sure pushing soul winning like there is no tomorrow

So true as their tomorrow was sacrificed on the altar of ill advised texts showing the darkness of inner heart not inline with God in anyway.

Just me said:
JustABigKid said:

So true as their tomorrow was sacrificed on the altar of ill advised texts showing the darkness of inner heart not inline with God in anyway.

And no man broke his jaw.............smh, cowards!!

Ok Bruh. You might be the hulk that smashed people in the mouth but sometimes the manly thing to do is simply walk away which is what families are continuing to do.

JustABigKid said:
Ok Bruh. You might be the hulk that smashed people in the mouth but sometimes the manly thing to do is simply walk away which is what families are continuing to do.

No Chivalry at OBC. I get it, it's a rare quality found in men these days.

Bruh said:
JustABigKid said:

Yep no Chivalry there.  When women are treated as cattle or as secondary or as servants to all men there will be no Chivalry.  All I ever saw were false moments of it all in the name of the over all deception and manipulation going on in the place.  Ya gotta have some warm fuzzies a long the way to promote the deception.

Just me said:
Bruh said:
JustABigKid said:

Yep no Chivalry there.  When women are treated as cattle or as secondary or as servants to all men there will be no Chivalry.  All I ever saw were false moments of it all in the name of the over all deception and manipulation going on in the place.  Ya gotta have some warm fuzzies a long the way to promote the deception.

Something I will never understand I guess. Cowards plain and simple..................Cowards! Another sad part are the people on here and others are so delusional they can't even see that the lay men and staff are cowards.

How many of us have friends and family that still support tom vinyard. Sad, sad!!!

ExFundy said:
How many of us have friends and family that still support tom vinyard. Sad, sad!!!

True but that number is decreasing constantly as the few that are left at WHBC are wising up and heading for the door.  Lately some of the few remaining long term member families have walked.

Just me said:
ExFundy said:

True but that number is decreasing constantly as the few that are left at WHBC are wising up and heading for the door.  Lately some of the few remaining long term member families have walked.

I have been following this for quite a while now. My question is, "How far can he go before he resigns and calls it quits?" How far can you go before you realize you are not good for the church or its people?

He is trying to figure out how to cash out of the family business.

After all they have been working it for decades.

Be a shame to end up with nothing.

BALAAM said:
I have been following this for quite a while now. My question is, "How far can he go before he resigns and calls it quits?" How far can you go before you realize you are not good for the church or its people?

Well, in my opinion, there is a problem here.  He would first have to have a heart.  And then have one that cares at all for the things of God.  Since neither of those two things have ever been evident in his life while I have known him I doubt very seriously he will ever make a decision that is good for the church or the people let alone God.

He is the CEO of the family business just like bgwilkerson posted and therein lies the real problem.

Just me said:

I was hoping you'd name it, in case it is one of the ones I know.

As for the preaching at WHBC....really?  Testimony of several on here tells otherwise.

I don't know -- I just made a guess based on what I've read that the leadership would be pushing very hard for new coverts/members, and so would be hitting soul-winning very hard.

Which later posts seem to have confirmed...

Just me said:
BALAAM said:

Well, in my opinion, there is a problem here.  He would first have to have a heart.  And then have one that cares at all for the things of God.  Since neither of those two things have ever been evident in his life while I have known him I doubt very seriously he will ever make a decision that is good for the church or the people let alone God.

He is the CEO of the family business just like bgwilkerson posted and therein lies the real problem.

Most CEO's would be canned if they kept losing ground in their business.

BALAAM said:
Most CEO's would be canned if they kept losing ground in their business.

You are right...... MOST

Walt said:
Just me said:

I was hoping you'd name it, in case it is one of the ones I know.

I don't know -- I just made a guess based on what I've read that the leadership would be pushing very hard for new coverts/members, and so would be hitting soul-winning very hard.

Which later posts seem to have confirmed...

If you knew of the IFB churches in the 80's in Denver then you would know the church.

As for the preaching, you used the word 'hot" which would be incorrect depending on your definition  since words are relative in the IFB world.

BALAAM said:
Just me said:
ExFundy said:

He will go as far as he can. I heard recently they got the bank to agree to 5 years of interest only payments. It is a continual attempt to continue the facade as everything is falling away.

I understand that at least 3 of the teachers from the school this last year are not returning and another one is heading out on deputation.

Unfortunately sometimes a person pride will not let them see what the right thing to do is.