Jesus did not perform miracles

FundNoMore

Elect
Reaction score
Not too long ago, I heard a preacher say that Jesus did not perform any miracles when he walked the earth. His point was that Jesus emptied Himself of all deity and allowed God, the Father, to perform all the miracles thru him. He offered no scripture to support this, but followed up with, "I bet you didn't know that". Before I comment on this, in my next post, I would like to know if anyone else has heard this position and/or your thoughts. Thank you.

Someone cut a lot of stuff out of their Bible and doesn’t understand Kenosis as presented in Philippians.

He must be a YouTuber ;)

Not too long ago, I heard a preacher say that Jesus did not perform any miracles when he walked the earth. His point was that Jesus emptied Himself of all deity and allowed God, the Father, to perform all the miracles thru him.
One, this preacher doesn't understand what Paul meant when he said Jesus "emptied himself." He didn't shed his divinity. He gave up the use of some of his divine attributes, experienced the limitations of humanity, and set aside glory that was rightfully his as the Creator of all things to humble himself as a human being.

Two, he ignores all the times in John's gospel that John says Jesus "performed" signs. Per the ESV: John 4:54; 6:14; 12:18; 12:37; 20:30.

Not too long ago, I heard a preacher say that Jesus did not perform any miracles when he walked the earth. His point was that Jesus emptied Himself of all deity and allowed God, the Father, to perform all the miracles thru him. He offered no scripture to support this, but followed up with, "I bet you didn't know that". Before I comment on this, in my next post, I would like to know if anyone else has heard this position and/or your thoughts. Thank you.

Never heard it. Don't need to.
One can not be a fundamentalist and still believe the Bible.

Two, he ignores all the times in John's gospel that John says Jesus "performed" signs.
To qualify this:

First, Peter says of Jesus that he was "a man attested to you by God with miracles and wonders and signs which God performed through Him in your midst" (Acts 2:22). So there is arguably a sense in which divine power was exercised through Jesus, not necessarily by Jesus.

Second, Rev. 19:20 talks about the false prophet who "performed the signs" in the presence of the beast. So, conversely, there is a sense in which a person can be identified as the performing agent of a miracle, though clearly they are not the source of power by which it is performed.

Neither qualification, however, would rise to the level of denying that Jesus performed his own miracles.

"But I have greater witness than that of John: for the works which the Father hath given me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of me, that the Father hath sent me." - John 5:36.

"Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness of me." - John 10:25

So it appears that Jesus did perform miracles after all.

I have nothing against the ESV, but I have quoted from the KJV for the benefit of our friends out there who won't believe it unless it is in the KJV. :)