Joe Combs and "sheveral vershies"

Norefund

Elect
Reaction score
Ok, he's a pretty easy target now. But were any of you there when he taught or preached in chapel? I remember hearing him badly mispronounce "several verses" and his general effeminate speech pattern and wondering if he was gay. I also approached him once with a question about an answer on a Bible test that everyone around me got wrong. He chewed me out royally for not waiting and scheduling an appointment with his aide. I thought he was a really self worshiping man back then.

My question: he was thought of at the time as the greatest Bible teacher in history. Did you learn anything from him that stuck or is it all tainted now?

I never did care for Bro Combs............I never believed anything he taught he used WA Tozer material if I remember correctly.

I always thought but never said anything about things he said.............now looking back ..........I'm glad he's in prison never to hurt another person.

There are things I heard him teach that have stuck with me through the years.  Now, whether they were "his" or someone else's, I don't care.  I learned them from him. 

Most are little one-liners: 

"What you do with the Bible determines what God will do with you." 
"God's promises are the believer's resources."  (spoken "God's promiseeeees are the believer's resourceeeeees." )  This is one of my favorites and always an encouraging reminder. 
"We have the power the created the universe at our disposal." 

There are many things I've learned from King Solomon too that he said or taught BEFORE his heart was turned away from God toward idols. 

I remember the time some guy blew up a balloon, drew a face on it, and wrote "Brother Combs" on the top of it. The guy put the balloon on the podium.  Combs walked in, picked up the balloon, and said, "Who did this?"  The guy raised his hand and Combs made him stand up.  He looked at the guy and said, "You're an idiot" and popped the balloon.  It was a funny moment.

redeemed said:
RAIDER said:
I remember the time some guy blew up a balloon, drew a face on it, and wrote "Brother Combs" on the top of it. The guy put the balloon on the podium.  Combs walked in, picked up the balloon, and said, "Who did this?"  The guy raised his hand and Combs made him stand up.  He looked at the guy and said, "You're an idiot" and popped the balloon.  It was a funny moment.

I wasn't there for that, but I'm laughing now!

The funny part is that the balloon did look like Combs!

He was famous for saying, "Versees and phrasees".  One day he told the class to pick up their tests on the table in the back.  Only problem is that he didn't say, "tests".  :)

He was actually my favorite teacher.  His classes were interesting.  His notes were a lot like Warren Wiersbes.  It's still hard to comprehend what a monster he was.

Dr. Hyles said Combs was the top Bible teacher in the nation.  Unfortunately, I think Combs believed it too.  Even though I thought he was a good teacher he always had a "No body has more Bible knowledge than me" attitude.

Joe was never a believer.  He explicitly insisted that only the 'autographs' were inspired, and that The RV was an improvement.

Anishinabe

Combs must have left before I arrived in 1990.

I refuse to admire anything about this child abuser!  Once in class we were taking a quiz or test, can he came walking up the aisle, someone made the mistake of whispering, combs tore his face off!!! He was abuser!

Just to clarify, I did not admire him at all.

I guess the nature of my question is, can you learn something Biblical from even a person as reprehensible as Joe Combs? Hard to swallow, isn't it?

BTW, that "test" pronunciation is floating through my brain now. Thanks for that. :eek:

Right now I am having to struggle with admiring anything that came from Hyles, Schaap, or Combs. I just question their integrity. I guess right now I can not overlook what they did or caused! And I want to give them no glory.  I guess I would rather admire "leaders" that have proven themselves to be men of integrity throughout their ministry, Billy Graham being one, my father (he wasn't in the ministry but he loved the Lord!) and my current Pastor, Pastor Blalock.

I am sure I am carrying some bitterness I am re-evaluating anything in my life that had to do with HAC.

Norefund said:
Just to clarify, I did not admire him at all.

I guess the nature of my question is, can you learn something Biblical from even a person as reprehensible as Joe Combs? Hard to swallow, isn't it?

BTW, that "test" pronunciation is floating through my brain now. Thanks for that. :eek:

I assume you have learned from Abraham's life, the lying man who pawned his wife off twice to protect himself.
I assume you have learned from Moses the murderer?
I assume you have learned from David the adulterer and murderer?
I assume you have learned from Solomon the playboy, idolater, etc. etc. etc...

While not in the least justifying Comb's sin (he deserves the key to his cell to be thrown in the midst of the Atlantic), it's amazing how quickly we forget the sins of those we admire most.

kaba said:
Right now I am having to struggle with admiring anything that came from Hyles, Schaap, or Combs. I just question their integrity. I guess right now I can not overlook what they did or caused! And I want to give them no glory.  I guess I would rather admire "leaders" that have proven themselves to be men of integrity throughout their ministry, Billy Graham being one, my father (he wasn't in the ministry but he loved the Lord!) and my current Pastor, Pastor Blalock.

I am sure I am carrying some bitterness I am re-evaluating anything in my life that had to do with HAC.

I guess it depends on how you define "integrity".

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Wolves/billy_graham-unbiblical.htm

Billy Graham as well as Franklin Graham was not afraid to give the plan of salvation to anyone! You have never heard any scandal about abuse or affairs from Billy Graham. Maybe I am wrong in my definition of integrity, but I feel someone that makes decisions based on Godly morals and standards is someone with integrity. Or a man of character-doing right even if nobody is watching or they are not concerned about getting glory or patting themselves on the back. I don't believe a "Pastor" or man for that matter that has cheated on his wife whether it is a physical affair or a emotional affair is someone of integrity. There are too many unanswered questions about Hyles and his life, Schaap's life speaks for itself! Combs is just plain scum!

What is a New Testament example of someone who lived a 'double life', like the OT men mentioned...you know, the "Do As I Say Not As I Do" types. Don't do the things I've done wrong in my life...but do listen to me when I am speaking the words of the Lord.

Is there anyone like that in the New Testament? Or is Jesus supposed to make a difference in our lives?

When you get right down to it, what do we really learn from some of those OT guys, except "What not to do." They are good examples of flawed persons. Which is of course what each of us is. But once we hit the NT, when the payment is made and grace is unleashed...it's different. In the New Testament you don't have a philanderer with 1000's of wives being held up as someone to listen to but not emulate...it is different, isn't it?

Some people are so hung up on the OT -- using it almost as an excuse to be a rotten Christian (yes, I torture and rape my daughter but hey -- I'm one heckuva Bible teacher so it 'evens out' -- I mean, David murdered someone so I didn't go THAT far!) that they think it is an ok model to follow...

To me, in a rather simplistic overview, the OT is God saying: "Without the Perfect Sacrifice and without the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, this is the best you are going to do..." And then in the NT, once the Sacrifice is made and the Spirit indwells, we have access to something they did not have in the OT. So it SHOULD make a difference, and we shouldn't excuse ourselves our sins on an OT standard when the NT standard is what is now in place.

Don't know what I'm trying to say, rambling and musing.

I enjoyed his classes as some of his teaching made you think.  Remember, I said "some".  As we all know, "thinking" at HAC was a no-no.

The two items that stand out in my memory are:

1.  He did not believe in "Paradise" or the split-compartment.

2.  He would threaten that if you ever got kicked out of his classes, you could never graduate as you had to have his classes.

He also had a reputation for not paying his bills.

In his honor, here is a link to his message:    http://www.fileden.com/files/2012/6/20/3318327/How_to_Feel_Close_to_People.mp3    Truly prophetic realizing his current location.

IFB X-Files said:
In his honor, here is a link to his message:    http://www.fileden.com/files/2012/6/20/3318327/How_to_Feel_Close_to_People.mp3    Truly prophetic realizing his current location.

Wow, that brought back some memories.  It's amazing how we can remember illustrations from sermons.  At the 12:22 mark he tells a story that I can remember like it was yesterday.  It's hard to believe what a wicked man he was at the same time he was preaching this message.  Sad!