Judges 11: Did Jepthah Kill His Daughter?

Reformed Guy

Elect
Reaction score
What say ye?

Was she killed as a sacrifice or was she "offered" up for life-long service in the tabernacle?

Would like to see reasons for answers.

I think Japthah was rash and foolish in his vow when he said,    Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the LORD'S, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering.  (Judges 11:31)

What was he expecting to come forth out of the doors of his house, a goat? 

Forgot to add that I think she was killed for a sacrifice.  Actually, she was offered up as a burnt offering.

"Jephthah made a vow to the LORD and said, 'If you will give the Ammonites into my hand,  then whatever comes out from the doors of my house to meet me when I return in peace from the Ammonites shall be the LORD's, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering'" (Judg. 11:30-31).

"And at the end of two months, she returned to her father, who did with her according to his vow that he had made" (v. 39).

I know some people say that he didn't really sacrifice his daughter, and that she basically became a sort of Hebrew nun.  I don't see how you can get that from the text.  It seems to me a way of soft-pedalling what he actually did. Jephthah was stupid to make such a rash vow, and he was even stupider to carry it out.

Ransom said:
I know some people say that he didn't really sacrifice his daughter, and that she basically became a sort of Hebrew nun.  I don't see how you can get that from the text.  It seems to me a way of soft-pedalling what he actually did. Jephthah was stupid to make such a rash vow, and he was even stupider to carry it out.

Scripture sort of leaves it hanging... our last view is of the daughter bewailing her virginity.  But, I agree and think the implication is that Jepthah did sacrifice his daughter.

Scripture sort of leaves it hanging... our last view is of the daughter bewailing her virginity.

That makes perfect sense: she was going to die unmarried and childless, in a culture that considered marriage and offspring to be a great blessing.

Ransom said:
Scripture sort of leaves it hanging... our last view is of the daughter bewailing her virginity.

That makes perfect sense: she was going to die unmarried and childless, in a culture that considered marriage and offspring to be a great blessing.

I tend to agree with Ransom's interpretation, but can see how you could draw another conclusion from the 'virgin' context.

I don't want to draw too much from the Hebrews passage, but I can't help but wonder how Jepthah made into into the Hall of Faith if he committed such an abomination.

BTW, I lean toward seeing it as killing her, but can't be sure...

Reformed Guy said:
I don't want to draw too much from the Hebrews passage, but I can't help but wonder how Jepthah made into into the Hall of Faith if he committed such an abomination.

That is an interesting question about Japthah being used as an example in Hebrews...I too believe the context of the Judges passages leads to the fact he sacraficed his daughter.

Reformed Guy said:

That is what gives me some pause in my interpretation (that he killed her) since God has strictly fordidden human sacrifice!

Reformed Guy asked:

Probably the same way Samson made it in. Samson's philandering was his undoing, but nonetheless he was motivated by his zeal for God to deliver the Israelites decisively from the Philistines. Not only does the author of Hebrews praise his faith, but Matthew treats him as a type of Christ, the "Nazarene/Nazarite" strong man who delivers his people from bondage to their enemies.

Similarly, Jephthah believed that his success in battle was due to the Lord, but he made a rash vow without thinking through the consequences. Notwithstanding his tragic flaw, like Samson he was ultimately a man who had faith in God, as the rest of his story tends to show.

Judges 11:39  And it came to pass at the end of two months, that she returned unto her father, who did with her according to his vow which he had vowed: and she knew no man. And it was a custom in Israel,

David Jeremiah did an excellent series on Judges some time ago, and was very forthright and convincing that Jephthah did not literally sacrifice her.  I cannot remember how he came to that conclusion, and my brief search has failed to come up with the broadcast.  May be worth a listen if someone can find it and is so inclined.

The Netbible notes sums up the discussion well.

Judges 11:31 then whoever is the first to come through "52"  the doors of my house to meet me when I return safely from fighting the Ammonites

I tend to believe that he did sacrifice her.  I have heard some good arguments for him not, but the text always brings me to the position that he did.

Is human sacrifice permitted by God.
I realize that vows should be paid but should something as heinous as killing an innocent human be allowed in the name of paying a vow that was foolishly made?

I did some research on this and this guy gives a good case for his view.
http://bible-christian.org/jephthah.html

I realize that vows should be paid but should something as heinous as killing an innocent human being allowed in the name of paying a vow that was foolishly made?

I don't think anyone's said yet that Jephthah was right to keep his word to do evil.