Just a Thought

BALAAM

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
I just read Bob Grays article on his blog. Now you may love him or not and that is your business. One of my problems with ifb in the last few years is that I have come to believe that it is very man centered and not very God centered. Now they teach salvation by grace through faith but it seems like after that you are on your own. You are holy because of what you do. You are accepted or not by God according to what you do. God is incapable of working in the world without us. The world will go to hell unless you........(fill in the blank) And on and on.

Now: I just read his article and on a hunch I counted up the times he said either I, me, we, and us. In a fairly short article it comes up to 179 times! And I probably missed a few. I personally think that bg is trying for one of the four and twenty elders spots! What thinkest thou?

BALAAM said:
I just read Bob Grays article on his blog. Now you may love him or not and that is your business. One of my problems with ifb in the last few years is that I have come to believe that it is very man centered and not very God centered. Now they teach salvation by grace through faith but it seems like after that you are on your own. You are holy because of what you do. You are accepted or not by God according to what you do. God is incapable of working in the world without us. The world will go to hell unless you........(fill in the blank) And on and on.

Now: I just read his article and on a hunch I counted up the times he said either I, me, we, and us. In a fairly short article it comes up to 179 times! And I probably missed a few. I personally think that bg is trying for one of the four and twenty elders spots! What thinkest thou?

Every time Bro. Hyles told us how indispensable to God he was, I could only think of God's answer to Elijah.
There is not one of us that God could not do without.
We are all replaceable. His work will go on just as He wills.

Rom 11:2  God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. Wot ye not what the scripture saith of Elias? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel, saying,
Rom 11:3  Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life.
Rom 11:4  But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to the image of Baal.
Rom 11:5  Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.

God will do his work with us or without us, it's our choice.

Reminds me of when Jesus disciples were arguing which one of them would be the  greatest in the kingdom.
I believe many big preechers will be shocked when they get to heaven. It's not how great we are that matters in the least.
IMHO

I just have got to figure out a way where we can make "patting yourself on the back"into an olympic sport. I believe I can spot some gold medalists!

I admit to checking his blog regularly, basically to ogle the troglodyte. I do not know whose blog HE read about unity that had him so gravely concerned...

Thank heavens he spoke out about it, eh?

Yes Bob Gray is quite impressed with himself and his importance. My husband has called me out on many an occasion. If I inadvertently say, "She came to my house..." He will stop me in mid-sentence and say, "Your house? Isn't it OUR house?" He finds it very telling, even though I declare it to be a mere slip of the tongue. He is, in fact, far less selfish than I.

Would someone be so kind to supply a link?

Thanks!  :)

BALAAM said:
I just have got to figure out a way where we can make "patting yourself on the back"into an olympic sport. I believe I can spot some gold medalists!

Careful! 

Four "I's" have been spotted in but two sentences.  :D

Who wrote the article on unity to which Gray is referring?

I don't read Bob Gray's blog...well, until you all brought it up. I actually almost completely agree with this one, although I'm quite sure I will be in the minority.

...but I'm used to that.  ;)

It is not so much a question of whether one agrees or disagrees with what BG is saying. It is more the pomposity with which he approaches his self-appointed role of Fundamental Pope. Someone out there said so.sthing he finds dangerous to the cause...soul of discretion that he is, he cannot name the source but finds he must speak out to ensure we do not go astray as a result of this danger. Ha! Gotta love the Baptist Pope!

myeyesareopen said:
It is not so much a question of whether one agrees or disagrees with what BG is saying. It is more the pomposity with which he approaches his self-appointed role of Fundamental Pope. Someone out there said so.sthing he finds dangerous to the cause...soul of discretion that he is, he cannot name the source but finds he must speak out to ensure we do not go astray as a result of this danger. Ha! Gotta love the Baptist Pope!

...completely agreed.

patriotic said:
BALAAM said:

Careful! 

Four "I's" have been spotted in but two sentences.  :D

This made me laugh!

Okay, now I hate to bring this up but I will. This has to do with the substance of bg's blog. Now to be sure, I understand the dangers of ecumenicism. I think highly of Billy Graham but I don't think I could ever be wholeheartedly behind all he did etc. etc.

I listened to the testimony of a man by the name of Johnny Lee Clary. He was an imperial wizard in the kkk. He told of his life and how he was raised to hate. He told of his father blowing his brains out right in front of him at 11 years of age. He joined the kkk because they promised to be his family and take care of him.

He also told of later on in life coming under the influence of a black pastor and how he started out hating and threatening the man and how the man just told him "Johnny, Jesus loves you and I love you and there isn't a thing you can do about it." He said, "Johnny, there is not a black heaven and a white heaven. There is not a heaven for pentecostals and a heaven for baptists."

Now, with that being said, I can't help but wonder if a lot of the ifb crowd really thinks (and I think a lot do whether or not they will admit it) that there is a special place in heaven for them because of their separation standards, their refusal to acknowledge the godliness and holiness of others, or their disdain for others who don't see things quite as they do. My personal feeling is that we are a product of 21st century American christianity. When I read bg I just can't help but think if that is how Paul found things in Ephesus. Did people have the same attitudes and separation standards when they had to flee to the catacombs? Is this the way it is right now today in say, Nigeria? Sudan? Saudi Arabia? Iraq? I think that so many of the things we argue and fight about and separate about would be mute if we lived in a different culture and nation.

Has anyone else ever noticed or questioned the fact that a lot of the people who were burned at the stake and persecuted in the middle ages were not ifb? Has anyone ever questioned that some of these people were even catholic? Or even, God forgive me, part of a denomination?
\
Now I am probably all wet about this but it seems that Jack Hyles was more of a philosopher and many of his followers such as bg, Allen Domelle, and others, merely rehash what jh said or wrote about and they measure themselves by what jh thought and preached and throw in a few bible verses in for good measure.

I constantly read articles and writings from a lot of these guys that talk about what a great work God is doing through them, how many they had at the altar, how many were saved, how many rededications, etc. and the next article will be about how fundamentalism is dying and how to preserve it. It just seems to me that if God is going to preserve his Word, preserve his church, and preserve the saints then He is going to need something better than the best I can do.

Forgive me for the ramblings of a deranged mind but it is the only one I have!

Bob Gray is the fundamentalist pope in his own eyes! It is a self appointed position.

BALAAM said:
Forgive me for the ramblings of a deranged mind but it is the only one I have!

Excellent ramblings. Well said.