Keeping the business in the family-

Man without a country

Elect
Reaction score
Is it strange to anybody but me that so many of the IFB churches are family run for generations? I have seen many IFB pastors that had their sons called to preach and called to be the associate pastor at their dad's church. Hyles, Neals and Fugates come to mind. So many also have "academies" and "colleges" that are staffed by family. Greg Neal's wife is a faculty member at NFBC in the education department and she has no degree of any kind. These things contribute to the lack of credibility among IFB churches and schools.

The Mafia does the same thing.

Is it strange to anybody but me that so many of the IFB churches are family run for generations? I have seen many IFB pastors that had their sons called to preach and called to be the associate pastor at their dad's church. Hyles, Neals and Fugates come to mind. So many also have "academies" and "colleges" that are staffed by family. Greg Neal's wife is a faculty member at NFBC in the education department and she has no degree of any kind. These things contribute to the lack of credibility among IFB churches and schools.
Yes, some IFB churches are like that.
Nepotism stinks.

Some SBC churches are also like that.
I‘d wager a few Pentecostal/Charismatic churches are as well.

I think many pastors do this because they are afraid that if they bring in an outsider, he will raise himself up by trashing the previous pastor. This, too, has been known to happen in churches; a good pastor retires, and the new one comes in and runs him down to the members.

Pastors need to be careful that they don't turn the church into a family-run business -- it's so easy to start down that path.