Lancaster Baptist Church - Largest?

Jrock

Elect
Reaction score
Is LBC the largest IFB church in America? Is Paul Chappell the top IFB leader today?

Jrock said:
Is LBC the largest IFB church in America? Is Paul Chappell the top IFB leader today?

The IFB has no leaders, only servants.

Jrock said:

What about Trieber's church (North Valley Baptist Church)?

Why does largest automatically give the head pastor the position of "top IFB leader"?

IFB is just a label for churches; it isn't a denomination with leaders... or it shouldn't be.

Jrock said:
It is large and he is the leader/shepherd of that church.

You knew that, so what is it you'd really like to discuss?

JrChurch said:
Jrock said:
he is the leader/shepherd of that church.
As opposed to Christ.

earnestly contend

prophet said:
JrChurch said:
Jrock said:
As opposed to Christ.
earnestly contend

I would hope that Christ is the Shepherd.  I have never been to LBC,  although I have friends and a family member who attend.

JrChurch said:
prophet said:
JrChurch said:
Jrock said:
As opposed to Christ.
earnestly contend

I would hope that Christ is the Shepherd.  I have never been to LBC,  although I have friends and a family member who attend.
It can only be one or the other.

earnestly contend

Jrock said:

Yes it is most likely the largest IFB church in the United States (not the world), minus the Bible college students and the bus kids.  North Valley Baptist has declined drastically within the past 5 years.

I wouldn't say he is the "top IFB" leader though. There are still large "camps" within the movement. Don't forget about the guy that had a church sign that read "To the person who stole the AC, keep it because it is hot where you're going".

TheRealJonStewart said:
Jrock said:

Yes it is most likely the largest IFB church in the United States (not the world), minus the Bible college students and the bus kids.  North Valley Baptist has declined drastically within the past 5 years.

I wouldn't say he is the "top IFB" leader though. There are still large "camps" within the movement. Don't forget about the guy that had a church sign that read "To the person who stole the AC, keep it because it is hot where you're going".

So since you're the "cannabis" pastor, are you on staff at Chappell's church?

Twisted said:
TheRealJonStewart said:
Jrock said:

So since you're the "cannabis" pastor, are you on staff at Chappell's church?

I am Chappell. 8)

Jrock said:

Does anyone know how many Lancaster averages on a Sunday morning?

TheRealJonStewart said:
Jrock said:

I have always said the Chappell was the best of the so called nationally known IFB bunch. I would not be at all surprised if his church were the largest IFB congregation. And, I would argue that his influence is greater than any other current IFB leader, by a wide margin.

Tarheel Baptist said:
TheRealJonStewart said:
Jrock said:

I have always said the Chappell was the best of the so called nationally known IFB bunch. I would not be at all surprised if his church were the largest IFB congregation. And, I would argue that his influence is greater than any other current IFB leader, by a wide margin.

In m opinion, he is the new Jerry Falwell. Chappell is more well known then any other IFB in history IMHO. More people know/influenced by him than they were with Jack Hyles. One good indication is social media such as Facebook and Twitter. His influence is larger than the IFB movement itself, he has influence on politicians as well. Chappell has more followers than several of the Republican Presidential Candidates such as Jim Gilmore.

Does anyone know how many LBC averages on Sunday morning?

WESLEY said:

In recent times they haven't published their numbers but the auditorium is extremely packed out that chairs have to be set out. The overflow room has a couple people in it as well (the overflow gets packed during the college season)

TheRealJonStewart said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
TheRealJonStewart said:
Jrock said:

In m opinion, he is the new Jerry Falwell. Chappell is more well known then any other IFB in history IMHO. More people know/influenced by him than they were with Jack Hyles. One good indication is social media such as Facebook and Twitter. His influence is larger than the IFB movement itself, he has influence on politicians as well.

Oh brother.

Not even close.

I guess he's using his influence to keep California a hotbed of righteousness, not.

WESLEY said:

If you want an idea of their attendance you need to find out how many seats they have in their various auditoriums.
I assume they have a new auditorium an old auditorium and I saw their Spanish dept had a new multipurpose building and they may have an old Spanish auditorium also.

That would be the place to start, you can then make reasonable estimates, not Baptist preacher estimates.

TheRealJonStewart said:
... but the auditorium is extremely packed out that chairs have to be set out.

All the seating is chairs.

When I was last there back in 2009, they were averaging around 2500 or so in the main auditorium on a Sunday morning (two services).  Throw in the other ministries (children, Spanish, etc.) and they probably had a total of 3500 - 4000 on Sunday mornings.  Possibly more if you add in college kids working in certain areas as well.  For special events like Easter and Christmas musicals which were two-day productions, they probably had about 1,500 - 2,000 each night, with many guests present.  Today, I'm sure they run even more.