Lancaster Baptist's Newest Creation.... (NOT?)

IFB X-Files

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Today was the first official service of Citypoint Baptist Church in Tempe, AZ.  David Cloud mentioned this startup in his Feb. 1 Friday News.

I thought I'd land my saucer there and visit, so I put on my skinny jeans and tank top and went on in!

The beauty of being green-skinned and dressed like that is that no one really wants to sit next to you.  I love the extra room.  I estimate 80-100 in attendance.

My first question (really...my first question) was what class or classes do they teach at West Coast Baptist College to "equip" students to go in this direction?

One must only assume that they never had any convictions on music while at Lancaster/West Coast and just went with the flow while they were there.

The message was so-so (the ladder analogy was great) and had the same, lame "pray this prayer if you mean it in your heart" invitation.

No doubt building "soldiers for Christ" through a phone app, this church (as of today) has no Sunday school or any other service.  The venue, being a comedy club, was IMO genius.  The bar area was hidden and it was much better than using a school.  Being on the second floor is a minor issue.  They did use only the KJV.

Go to this link to watch a 6-minute video, if you're interested.  https://www.dropbox.com/s/thu45elxy1valdn/Citypoint.mp4?dl=0

They have to use only the KJV.  Otherwise they may has well do what some previous West Coast graduates have done and join an emerging SBC church or something like it.  It is actually required for graduates going into the ministry to use the KJV.  The music is not that important. 

An update to my first post.

They had a combined nursery/class that I did not originally see, so I'm raising my attendance estimate to 120.

They also claimed "12 decisions for Christ".  That can mean anything, of course.  Looks good for the supporting church.

The people were extremely nice.  Very friendly.  Made you feel welcome.

One last thought:  Looking at the entirety of the service, I felt like they were ministering to children/teens.  Not to adults.  Not to MEN.

IFB X-Files said:

They had a combined nursery/class that I did not originally see, so I'm raising my attendance estimate to 120.

They also claimed "12 decisions for Christ".  That can mean anything, of course.  Looks good for the supporting church.

One last thought:  Looking at the entirety of the service, I felt like they were ministering to children/teens.  Not to adults.  Not to MEN.
Why do you say this? 

Maybe they are in Tempe because they feel Spammy needs help...or at least needs an alternative IFB approach.  LOL

T-Bone said:
Maybe they are in Tempe because they feel Spammy needs help...or at least needs an alternative IFB approach.  LOL

Mr. Anderson mentioned this new church several weeks ago and mocked the "skinny jeans" pastor.

I would not be surprised if he had a spy there yesterday as well.

16KJV11 said:
IFB X-Files said:

Why do you say this?

As I can usually read the minds of most earthlings, I confess to not being able to read yours!

To which are you referring?

The "12 decisions"?

The "they were nice"?

The  "not to MEN"?

If it is the "not to MEN", I get the same feeling watching most of these modern-style "services".

I long for the days when a MAN comes out that dresses like a man (Did I say that the "skinny jeans" pastor didn't even wear socks?) and talks like a man.  Ah, for the glory days of Q&A time at the old FBCH, where Dr. Hyles would insult and embarrass questioners.

I'm just an unapologetic, old-school alien.

IFB X-Files said:
16KJV11 said:
IFB X-Files said:

Why do you say this?

As I can usually read the minds of most earthlings, I confess to not being able to read yours!

To which are you referring?

The "12 decisions"?

The "they were nice"?

The  "not to MEN"?

If it is the "not to MEN", I get the same feeling watching most of these modern-style "services".

I long for the days when a MAN comes out that dresses like a man (Did I say that the "skinny jeans" pastor didn't even wear socks?) and talks like a man.  Ah, for the glory days of Q&A time at the old FBCH, where Dr. Hyles would insult and embarrass questioners.

I'm just an unapologetic, old-school alien.
Yow...You just answered 'the not to men' comment that I was wondering about.

Saved by Grace said:
Spammy is gonna end up in another dispensation when hears of this

Now that is an instant classic!  Well done!

Back when John Edwards of NC Senate and VP candidate fame got in trouble, a non fundy at all co worker and I were talking about Joel Osteen and I asked, "What kind of real man would want that guy as his pastor?" I then saw a newspaper with a pic of Edward s on it, I pointed and said, "Him."

If you have to have it explained just read on. I'm sure there will be examples. Or watch the pastor mentioned.

Baptist City Holdout said:
Anderson is his usual self, but he has this one right:

http://sanderson1611.blogspot.com/2018/09/paul-chappell-sending-effeminate-pastor.html
Not sure what you think Anderson got right in that blog post.  He made a lot of judgmental statements based on his preferences of dress, he called names, he was vulgar without any basis except for his own personal view.  His language is as indecent as anything I have ever heard.  He is a dangerous and ungodly as Westboro Baptist Church.

http://sanderson1611.blogspot.com/2018/09/paul-chappell-sending-effeminate-pastor.html
How can any person with an IQ above 50 listen to this windbag?

But think I answered my own question.

T-Bone said:

Not sure what you think Anderson got right in that blog post.  He made a lot of judgmental statements based on his preferences of dress, he called names, he was vulgar without any basis except for his own personal view.  His language is as indecent as anything I have ever heard.  He is a dangerous and ungodly as Westboro Baptist Church.

1Ba2J1r.jpg

HeDied4U said:
T-Bone said:

1Ba2J1r.jpg
OK, I can assuredly say that I could not stand for either of these guys to be my pastor. That is what I should have said. Guess I was just thinking the evil of two lessers.

qwerty said:

I think Anderson needs to add IQ points in order to be an idiot....but after watching the service in question, he did have a point or two.  :)

Tarheel Baptist said:
qwerty said:

I think Anderson needs to add IQ points in order to be an idiot....but after watching the service in question, he did have a point or two.  :)
I read it twice to make sure.....he had no point. He called the Pastor a homosexual, insulted his wife, demeaned his staff. Truly a man of god.

Anderson is deserving of being tased.

qwerty said:
Anderson is deserving of being tased.

Your wish is my command. (Skip to approx. 1:15 if the player doesn't do it automatically.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJF5cUWXA_A&start=75