Large churches are indispensable to church planting

Honestly, I like the idea of a church reaching its 85% capacity and sending out a new church plant.  It just makes sense.  By that time, surely you have developed enough people who can go out and do likewise.  Of course the financial assistance is of great benefit to the starting group.  If only more churches would think like this instead of having the multiple services or building programs.

Binaca Chugger said:
Honestly, I like the idea of a church reaching its 85% capacity and sending out a new church plant.  It just makes sense.  By that time, surely you have developed enough people who can go out and do likewise.  Of course the financial assistance is of great benefit to the starting group.  If only more churches would think like this instead of having the multiple services or building programs.
I agree completely, there would be 3 time as many gospel preaching baptist churches in america if we had practiced this over the past 100 years.

It would also force pastors to train & utilize new Christians at every level of ministry, as more experienced members move on to help the new church plants. The process would repeat itself ever 5 years or so at the Mother church and at each new churches. 

sword said:
Binaca Chugger said:
I agree completely, there would be 3 time as many gospel preaching baptist churches in america if we had practiced this over the past 100 years.

It would also force pastors to train & utilize new Christians at every level of ministry, as more experienced members move on to help the new church plants. The process would repeat itself ever 5 years or so at the Mother church and at each new churches.

Exactly.  Instead, we have become obsessed with big numbers and big bank accounts and big facilities being able to offer big programs.  This is not what the church was established to be for the Christian.

Irony.

But you are not to be called ?Rabbi,? for you have one Teacher, and you are all brothers. And do not call anyone on earth ?father,? for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. Nor are you to be called instructors, for you have one Instructor, the Messiah. The greatest among you will be your servant. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.

But the church structure with a lead pastor is the current, accepted model.

The general consensus is, "But Jesus never mandated a particular model!" or "Things are different in this culture!"

Point taken and even conceded.

The irony is in how when it comes to Jesus' teaching about church leadership, we have excuses to become more progressive yet when it comes to Jesus' teaching on marriage divorce, the law is laid down and those brothers and sisters who believe gay marriage is morally acceptable get bashed, though they are using the same hermeneutic.

"Haven?t you read,? he replied, ?that at the beginning the Creator ?made them male and female,? and said, ?For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh? So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate."

Sorry for the sidetrack but had to point out the irony. Back to the topic at hand.

:)

FSSL said:
Walt said:
My only point was that you don't HAVE to be a large church to plant a church.

We agree. Perhaps the title gives that impression.

Yes, "indispensable" does give that impression.  :)

Smellin Coffee said:
Sorry for the sidetrack but had to point out the irony. Back to the topic at hand.

What kind of hermeneutic dismisses the rest of the NT?

FSSL said:
Smellin Coffee said:

The forgotten text 'Crock of Hermeneutic' by I.B. Ignorant

sword said:
Binaca Chugger said:

In theory, that sounds excellent....and I have no problem with your premis.
But, in practice, it's not that simple, as I'm sure you know.

I have been on both sides of the CP process. I have been a part of a church plant and have participated in trying to help others plant churches.
While, I totally agree that existing churches should seek to plant new churches...but it's just not as simple as it sounds on paper.

The best friend of a church plant, planter is a solid, thriving, mother church...which often/always have programs, buildings and budgets!

FSSL said:
Smellin Coffee said:

Dunno. I don't 'dismiss' it but rather run it through the red letter grid. :)

Oh, and I guess it would be the hermeneutic Jesus told His disciples to use, you know, the one where He commanded them to teach the world "everything I have taught you" and gave us the Holy Spirit "to bring to remembrance all that I have taught you."

;)

Tarheel Baptist said:
FSSL said:
Smellin Coffee said:

The forgotten text 'Crock of Hermeneutic' by I.B. Ignorant

All of us pick and choose. I am bold enough to admit it publicly. :)

Tarheel Baptist said:
The best friend of a church plant, planter is a solid, thriving, mother church...which often/always have programs, buildings and budgets!

Booyah!

FWIW the model I outlined is based upon the pastor NOT wanting to lead a mega church.

He also walked us through a reorganization that did away with the old Pastor/Deacon model and surrounded himself with lay elders. We still have deacons but their role is completely different than it had been.