Learning Greek and Hebrew

biscuit1953

Elect
Reaction score
When I was in the military in the 1970's I went to a Bible institute and studied Greek for less than a year.  I got to the point where I could easily look up words in a Greek dictionary but no further really.  The endings seemed to be the most difficult aspect of it.  Some people have a knack for learning different languages just as others have a gift for math or music. 

Would the Greek and Hebrew scholars on this board recommend study of these languages knowing that the average Christian will never advance beyond the basic knowledge of it?  Is there any benefit for someone who isn't gifted in languages to dabble in Greek and Hebrew or would they be better off using a couple of different trusted translations in their native tongue?  I tend to believe the latter. 

What would the experts here recommend for a Greek/Hebrew concordance?  Strong's or Young's?

I have books on Biblical Greek and Hebrew.  I use those to decipher the languages.  I find that approach infinitely more useful than referring to multiple translations. 

For example, the Biblical Hebrew book helped me decipher the real interpretation of "The Lord said to my Lord" without the book actually addressing the verse.  I worked on it because a rabbi on a forum argued that the English translation is incorrect, so I pulled out the Biblical Hebrew book and worked out the Hebrew such that I'm satisfied the English translation is, indeed, correct.

I'd tell you what books they are, but right now they're packed in a box somewhere in the garage. 

I may be barking up the wrong tree.  I have a Strong's concordance which is based on the 1886 Oxford edition of the King James Bible.  I'm still in the KJV only mindset I suppose.  Maybe an interlinear would be much better for the average Christian who doesn't know Greek and Hebrew rather than a concordance.  The only problem with what Tomato said is there are rules in Greek and Hebrew that only linguistic experts can decipher.  One can look words up and get definitions but things like the Granville  Sharp Rule which I understand is only recently well understood can throw the average person completely off on interpretation when used in certain contexts. 

I really think for the average Christian a couple of trusted translations are much better than dabbling in Greek and Hebrew when they have no intention of going beyond learning the alphabet and looking up words in a lexicon. 

biscuit1953 said:
I may be barking up the wrong tree.  I have a Strong's concordance which is based on the 1886 Oxford edition of the King James Bible.  I'm still in the KJV only mindset I suppose.  Maybe an interlinear would be much better for the average Christian who doesn't know Greek and Hebrew rather than a concordance.  The only problem with what Tomato said is there are rules in Greek and Hebrew that only linguistic experts can decipher.  One can look words up and get definitions but things like the Granville  Sharp Rule which I understand is only recently well understood can throw the average person completely off on interpretation when used in certain contexts. 

I really think for the average Christian a couple of trusted translations are much better than dabbling in Greek and Hebrew when they have no intention of going beyond learning the alphabet and looking up words in a lexicon.

I hate to keep referring to books I can't identify, but my books discuss the rules.  The Hebrew book shows how even a simple mark modifies the meaning of a Hebrew word.  So I find it very difficult to use nothing but an interlinear or Strongs.  I need more details. 

You're right, though, that for the average Christian a couple of trusted translations should be sufficient. 

When people ask me how they quickly learn Greek without spending a lot of money on a Seminary Education here is what I recommend.

Teacher James Voelz. Total of 301 lessons viewable in iTunes at no charge.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/itunes-u/elementary-greek/id426804037?mt=10

Jim is an engaging and interesting teacher. You can buy the textbook from Amazon. This is not a book you

would use without viewing the class. However if you are viewing the class it is the text Jim uses and makes

the class a snap.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamental-Greek-Grammar-Edition/dp/0758613121

Table of contents preface and sample chapter.

http://www.cph.org/pdf/531152.pdf

Grammar exercises.

http://www.cph.org/pdf/Helps/531152_Greek%20Grammar%20Exercises.zip

You will also need one of these NA 27 Greek NT with English Greek dictionary in the back.

http://www.amazon.com/Nestle-Concise-English-Greek-Dictionary-FL-Edition/dp/343805115X/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1392953103&sr=8-8&keywords=na27+greek+new+testament

biscuit1953 said:

Interlinears, diglots or polyglot Bibles have been used by Christians since the first few centuries.

Origen produce an OT Bible with multiple texts called The Hexapla.

All of the NTs that Erasmus produced where diglots written in Greek on the left leaf and the common

language of Latin on the right hand leaf.

The list of multiversion text works is quit long.

I believe these are all quit useful for text critical and general study purposes.