Live Long and Prosper

IFB X-Files

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
A post I made on another thread made me think how we as HACkers eat.  A real HACker will eat only the finest foods to maintain good health, thus extending both life and service.  What do you eat to keep your best?

I'll start.

I've found that an occassional Fatburger (  http://www.fatburger.com/Home/?ref=1  ) with onion rings is what really gets me going (Diet Coke of course).  Nothing is too good to keep me in the shape I'm in!

How much do you weight?

You can't be healthy eating burgers and onion rings...........

You have a good sense of humor  :)

IFB X-Files said:
A post I made on another thread made me think how we as HACkers eat.  A real HACker will eat only the finest foods to maintain good health, thus extending both life and service.  What do you eat to keep your best?

I'll start.

I've found that an occassional Fatburger (  http://www.fatburger.com/Home/?ref=1  ) with onion rings is what really gets me going (Diet Coke of course).  Nothing is too good to keep me in the shape I'm in!

I have lost nearly 70 pounds eating nothing but healthy "real" food that has been surprisingly delicious!! If I can recognize it as food that God created, I eat it. If it was made in a factory or modified in a factory, I won't touch it. I also have been eating all sorts of plants, leaves, herbs, roots, spices etc.  that most people would not recognize as food. I add it to my meat dishes and it makes them so much more tasty.

IFB X-Files said:

I'll start.

You must be speaking with sarcasm - for surely you know the motto of a REAL HACker:

Buffet your body, every day.
If you want to be like Bro. Hyles in every way....

Binaca Chugger said:
You must be speaking with sarcasm - for surely you know the motto of a REAL HACker:

If you want to be like Bro. Hyles in every way....

We tried to buffet ( http://www.hometownbuffet.com/ ) every day but it went out of business.

When my wife and I first got married, I was 6'4" and I weighed 170 pounds (a skeleton). I decided to put on 30 lbs the next summer, and I succeeded. I had to eat 5,000 to 6,000 calories per day, and up to 100 grams of protein. By the end of that summer, I flat out hated food.

Now, nine years later, I'm starting to wish I could have that metabolism back.  :D

Jehanne La Pucelle said:
Jehanne La Pucelle said:
Jehanne La Pucelle said:
groupie said:
I have lost nearly 70 pounds eating nothing but healthy "real" food that has been surprisingly delicious!! If I can recognize it as food that God created, I eat it. If it was made in a factory or modified in a factory, I won't touch it. I also have been eating all sorts of plants, leaves, herbs, roots, spices etc.  that most people would not recognize as food. I add it to my meat dishes and it makes them so much more tasty.

Congratulations!

I joined Weight Watchers On-Line, three weeks ago, and lost 9 pounds in that time.  I hope to get down to at least 120-125 pounds.  I am really enjoying this healthy way to eat!

I'm rejoicing today because I have lost 18 lbs. to date since January 9th.

I lost another 4 lbs. since my last post March 5th which now makes for a total of 22 lbs; I feel great. I incorporated running into this plan; I am running a mile each day for a total of six miles a week.  :)

I enjoy working out but I would rather get an enema than go running. ;)

Jehanne La Pucelle said:
LOL @ Baalam!  :D

Running has helped increase my stamina; I do a little weight lifting, too.  ;)

I will do the treadmill and I like elypticals and stair steppers but I have always had an aversion to jogging. Now watch, I will probably end up running a marathon in my 60's. :-\

aleshanee said:
BALAAM said:
Jehanne La Pucelle said:

I will do the treadmill and I like elypticals and stair steppers but I have always had an aversion to jogging. Now watch, I will probably end up running a marathon in my 60's. :-\

running on beach sand is good...  but jogging on hard surfaces is bad for the knees...  :-\... my aerobics all comes from the long bike rides i go on trying to keep up my triathlete friends.. .. .  i don;t attempt to go swimming with them or run with them... .. . .but we eat pretty much the same.. ..  oatmeal, cottage cheese and grapefruit for breakfast...  :) .... then small balanced low glycemic meals the rest of the day...  :).. . of course pigging out on pizza also happens.. ..  more for me than it does for them..  ::).. ...  but i;m not a triathlete....  :p

Is tako poke and kimchee low glycemic? ;)

aleshanee said:
BALAAM said:
aleshanee said:
BALAAM said:
Jehanne La Pucelle said:

running on beach sand is good...  but jogging on hard surfaces is bad for the knees...  :-\... my aerobics all comes from the long bike rides i go on trying to keep up my triathlete friends.. .. .  i don;t attempt to go swimming with them or run with them... .. . .but we eat pretty much the same.. ..  oatmeal, cottage cheese and grapefruit for breakfast...  :) .... then small balanced low glycemic meals the rest of the day...  :).. . of course pigging out on pizza also happens.. ..  more for me than it does for them..  ::).. ...  but i;m not a triathlete....  :p

absolutely...:)..  tako is almost all protein...with a little fat...  when made into poke' it has some carbs in it by way of the herbs and spices... small veggies that go into it.. . . kimchee is made mostly of cabbage ... fermented.. . it depends on who makes it whether or not it qualifies as high glycemic or not..  some is more salty that others and others more sweet... ...  some of it will spike your blood sugar fast so you have to be careful.... . .. :-\...

i;m actually having tako poke' for lunch later today.. :) . . not the kimchee kind though... ;)

I actually like tako more than anything else for sushi. But I think it has more to do with texture than flavor. Here in the midwest when you eat sushi, it is rolled up very small with a lot of rice and seaweed. When you go to Hawaii and everyone eats sushi you find it in every deli but it is cut into large chunks with a lot of different ways of preparation. When you aren't used to that the texture of raw fish is hard to get used to.

By the way: What is the difference between sushi and sushimi? Never understood that one.

aleshanee said:
BALAAM said:
aleshanee said:
BALAAM said:
aleshanee said:
BALAAM said:
Jehanne La Pucelle said:

absolutely...:)..  tako is almost all protein...with a little fat...  when made into poke' it has some carbs in it by way of the herbs and spices... small veggies that go into it.. . . kimchee is made mostly of cabbage ... fermented.. . it depends on who makes it whether or not it qualifies as high glycemic or not..  some is more salty that others and others more sweet... ...  some of it will spike your blood sugar fast so you have to be careful.... . .. :-\...

i;m actually having tako poke' for lunch later today.. :) . . not the kimchee kind though... ;)

I actually like tako more than anything else for sushi. But I think it has more to do with texture than flavor. Here in the midwest when you eat sushi, it is rolled up very small with a lot of rice and seaweed. When you go to Hawaii and everyone eats sushi you find it in every deli but it is cut into large chunks with a lot of different ways of preparation. When you aren't used to that the texture of raw fish is hard to get used to.

By the way: What is the difference between sushi and sushimi? Never understood that one.

sushi can be any seafood or other meat on a block of rice.. ... . sashimi is simply fish prepared raw.. ..  some of the ahi i used to prepare on the boat was considered sashimi...  but once i seared it in a pan then it was just seared ahi.. .. even though the inside was still raw... ..  . . but if i put that same ahi on a block of rice... whether seared or not..  it would have become sushi... . :) ... ..  ... 

Okay, well, thanks for clearing that up for me! :-\

groupie said:
IFB X-Files said:

I'll start.

You are blessed to have recieved this wisdom from our Creator. 

Anishinabe

Over the last four and a half years I have lost at least 45 pounds. For the first two years, it was just changing the eating habits. My standard breakfast is two eggs, two pieces of toast w/ PB, jam, or tomato when in season, two bowls of unsweetened cereal with a banana; lunch at least five days out of seven is a salad. I use Italian maybe a third of the time and splurge on ranch, poppy seed or other also; Supper is ALWAYS before 6:00. NEVER go out to eat after church; (that's not for spiritual reasons or to keep me from gossiping.) Try to stay w/ chicken and fish, but still enjoy a steak or pork chop along the way.

Maybe two lunches a week include a moderate bowl of ice cream, but even my taste for that has been on the decline lately.

That took off 20 pounds, then.............. I started running. Not a lot - anywhere from 10-15 miles a week.

Feel a lot better!!!!!  :)