Make Your Own Subway Sandwich

The Underground Church

The Rogue Tomato

New member
Doctor
Registered
Joined
Sep 12, 2013
Messages
5,279
Reaction score
0
Points
0
kaba said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
kaba said:
rsc2a said:
What about cat milk?
GROSS!!!!!


I think the brown cheese was a special cheese from Norway.
I think you're talking about Gjetost, which is a brown goat cheese from Norway.  It tastes sort of like a cross between caramel and peanut butter, with a fermented spin.  It's definitely an acquired taste.  But it doesn't taste anything like white creamy goat cheese.  Not even close.
I think you are right!! But I dont know if I would say a mix between caramel and peanut butter, because I like both of those. It has been a long time since I had a taste of it, but I remember it was not touched by anyone else but my dad! And it wasnt because he forbid us, it was because we all hated it. :)
I kind of like it in very small doses.  But it does cause one to produce a lot of methane, if you catch my meaning. 

 

Vince Massi

Active member
Registered
Joined
Jun 15, 2013
Messages
1,625
Reaction score
3
Points
38
Success! Despite my previous failure, I am a graduate of a college that taught me not to quit. I bought some good French bread and returned to my gourmet Subway Sandwiches.

The skillfully-arranged ham tasted just right.The three different kinds of cheese blended well. My aromatic blend of seasonings brought out the zestiness of my home-grown tomatoes. And the pickles were so good that I wanted to bite the ends off.

It is difficult to be humble in the face of such exquisite cuisine, so I'll simply say that I am ready for tomorrow's challenge.
 

kaba

New member
Registered
Joined
Jan 9, 2013
Messages
1,159
Reaction score
0
Points
0
The Rogue Tomato said:
kaba said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
kaba said:
rsc2a said:
What about cat milk?
GROSS!!!!!


I think the brown cheese was a special cheese from Norway.
I think you're talking about Gjetost, which is a brown goat cheese from Norway.  It tastes sort of like a cross between caramel and peanut butter, with a fermented spin.  It's definitely an acquired taste.  But it doesn't taste anything like white creamy goat cheese.  Not even close.
I think you are right!! But I dont know if I would say a mix between caramel and peanut butter, because I like both of those. It has been a long time since I had a taste of it, but I remember it was not touched by anyone else but my dad! And it wasnt because he forbid us, it was because we all hated it. :)
I kind of like it in very small doses.  But it does cause one to produce a lot of methane, if you catch my meaning.
GOT IT!
 

Vince Massi

Active member
Registered
Joined
Jun 15, 2013
Messages
1,625
Reaction score
3
Points
38
The way that Subway Sandwiches are designed, their veggie subs are not that good. But after studying the design, I made one.

It's no better than Subway makes them.
 

lnf

New member
Registered
Joined
Jan 18, 2013
Messages
669
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Try this for a change of pace:  minute steak (real steak, cut thin), cheese of choice (I like cheddar), crusty bread: German brotchen/Chicago hard roll/French baguette...or whatever suits your fancy.  A baguette will make more than one sandwich, of course. 

Preheat the bread.  Fry the minute steak on one side.  Flip and immediately place the cheese on top to melt.  When the cheese is melted, place on the warm bread.  Serve with your favorite sides.  I've done cheesy noodles with a vegetable, a salad with fried potatoes, and chips and cottage cheese.  Again, whatever suits your fancy...

Simple, but tasty and satisfying.
 

The Rogue Tomato

New member
Doctor
Registered
Joined
Sep 12, 2013
Messages
5,279
Reaction score
0
Points
0
lnf said:
Try this for a change of pace:  minute steak (real steak, cut thin), cheese of choice (I like cheddar), crusty bread: German brotchen/Chicago hard roll/French baguette...or whatever suits your fancy.  A baguette will make more than one sandwich, of course. 

Preheat the bread.  Fry the minute steak on one side.  Flip and immediately place the cheese on top to melt.  When the cheese is melted, place on the warm bread.  Serve with your favorite sides.  I've done cheesy noodles with a vegetable, a salad with fried potatoes, and chips and cottage cheese.  Again, whatever suits your fancy...

Simple, but tasty and satisfying.
I love those.  I used to eat them all the time back in Joisey.  Unfortunately, I can't find anywhere around here that sells minute steak, or anything that would be a good substitute for it. 

 

lnf

New member
Registered
Joined
Jan 18, 2013
Messages
669
Reaction score
0
Points
0
The Rogue Tomato said:
lnf said:
Try this for a change of pace:  minute steak (real steak, cut thin), cheese of choice (I like cheddar), crusty bread: German brotchen/Chicago hard roll/French baguette...or whatever suits your fancy.  A baguette will make more than one sandwich, of course. 

Preheat the bread.  Fry the minute steak on one side.  Flip and immediately place the cheese on top to melt.  When the cheese is melted, place on the warm bread.  Serve with your favorite sides.  I've done cheesy noodles with a vegetable, a salad with fried potatoes, and chips and cottage cheese.  Again, whatever suits your fancy...

Simple, but tasty and satisfying.
I love those.  I used to eat them all the time back in Joisey.  Unfortunately, I can't find anywhere around here that sells minute steak, or anything that would be a good substitute for it.
How sad!  In my neck of the woods, minute steak is common.  Might you ask your butcher to cut some for you?
 

The Rogue Tomato

New member
Doctor
Registered
Joined
Sep 12, 2013
Messages
5,279
Reaction score
0
Points
0
lnf said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
lnf said:
Try this for a change of pace:  minute steak (real steak, cut thin), cheese of choice (I like cheddar), crusty bread: German brotchen/Chicago hard roll/French baguette...or whatever suits your fancy.  A baguette will make more than one sandwich, of course. 

Preheat the bread.  Fry the minute steak on one side.  Flip and immediately place the cheese on top to melt.  When the cheese is melted, place on the warm bread.  Serve with your favorite sides.  I've done cheesy noodles with a vegetable, a salad with fried potatoes, and chips and cottage cheese.  Again, whatever suits your fancy...

Simple, but tasty and satisfying.
I love those.  I used to eat them all the time back in Joisey.  Unfortunately, I can't find anywhere around here that sells minute steak, or anything that would be a good substitute for it.
How sad!  In my neck of the woods, minute steak is common.  Might you ask your butcher to cut some for you?
I could try.  What I usually do if I'm desperate for a cheese steak is buy some roast beef and cook that up.  It's a pretty expensive way to do it, and it's not quite the same, but it's worth it when you get that craving.  I actually prefer the lower quality frozen minute steaks. 

EDIT:  According to the Steak-Umm website, the local grocery chain here carries them.  But I've looked and never seen them.  I'll have to ask the closest stores to stock them.  They're pretty good about responding to requests like that. 
 

Vince Massi

Active member
Registered
Joined
Jun 15, 2013
Messages
1,625
Reaction score
3
Points
38
The Rogue Tomato said:
I had a taste of New Jersey, today (Jersey Mike's). 

That's it! I'm going to start making Subway Sandwiches again!
 

lnf

New member
Registered
Joined
Jan 18, 2013
Messages
669
Reaction score
0
Points
0
All this talk about sandwiches has made me quite nostalgic!  I lived in Germany for a few years in my youth.  We used to take a brotchen, bite off the end, scoop out the chewy inside (eat it) then stuff the crusty outside with deli meat.  My favorites were ham or roast beef.

I haven't had an authentic brotchen in over 40 years.  My local deli sells Chicago hard rolls.  Although the outside comes close, the inside just doesn't have the same chewy texture.  Plus it doesn't scoop right, leaving only the crust to be filled with deli meat.

Chicago hard rolls suffice for a bratwurst, but not for that beloved sandwich of my youth...

<sigh>
 

The Rogue Tomato

New member
Doctor
Registered
Joined
Sep 12, 2013
Messages
5,279
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Yeah, it's difficult to find good hard rolls.  In the USA, all the best stuff like that seems to be in the tri-state area (NY, NJ, PA) or the San Francisco/Oakland area.  Yes, Oakland -- that's where I got the best Pugliese bread I've ever had. 

 

Vince Massi

Active member
Registered
Joined
Jun 15, 2013
Messages
1,625
Reaction score
3
Points
38
After church this morning, I bought two large French breads, five different kinds of lunch meat, three different kinds of spread, stored them with my other goodies, and tomorrow, it's---

SUBWAY SANDWICH TIME!
 

The Rogue Tomato

New member
Doctor
Registered
Joined
Sep 12, 2013
Messages
5,279
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Woohoo!!!  After hunting for them for a couple years and failing to find them, I just discovered that the supermarket right across the street is stocked with Steak-Umms!!  They were right under my nose and I didn't know it until today. 

Cheese-steaks here I come! 
 

Vince Massi

Active member
Registered
Joined
Jun 15, 2013
Messages
1,625
Reaction score
3
Points
38
The Rogue Tomato said:
Woohoo!!!  After hunting for them for a couple years and failing to find them, I just discovered that the supermarket right across the street is stocked with Steak-Umms!!  They were right under my nose and I didn't know it until today. 

Cheese-steaks here I come!
Quick! Quick! What's the recipe?
 

The Rogue Tomato

New member
Doctor
Registered
Joined
Sep 12, 2013
Messages
5,279
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Vince Massi said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
Woohoo!!!  After hunting for them for a couple years and failing to find them, I just discovered that the supermarket right across the street is stocked with Steak-Umms!!  They were right under my nose and I didn't know it until today. 

Cheese-steaks here I come!
Quick! Quick! What's the recipe?
Just get some of these and make a sammich out of them any way you want. 

My personal favorite is to saute some onions until they're translucent.  Set them aside.

Toss some slices of Steak-umms in the pan, and when they're almost finished (takes only a minute or two -- and it works best if you kind of break up the slices as they cook), I toss in a couple slices of sharp provolone and melt it into the mixture.  Put that and the onions in a hard roll, and you've got a winner.  I don't always put ketchup on the sammich, but this is one of the few things I like to put ketchup on. 

(By the way, I feel ripped off - my box has only 14 steaks.)



 

Recovering IFB

New member
Doctor
Registered
Joined
Aug 11, 2012
Messages
2,138
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Vince Massi said:
It's so easy, that even a man can do it.
Shame on you if you don't know how to cook or do anything in the kitchen. To quote Pacino in "Donnie Brasco",.....
"all the great chefs in the world, are men" My grandfather, my dad could all cook very well. I'm better than my wife when it comes to cooking, I end up cooking on weekends because my wife got tired of me coming behind her, fixing the meats or adding spice while she was cooking while we were dating. but i have learned to be quite when she cooks. she isnt really that bad, she doesn't use enough spices or just doesn't use them at all.
But to infer that "a man can do it" is just a sad representation of being a guy.
 
Top