Make Your Own Subway Sandwich

Vince Massi

Elect
Reaction score
I made my first expensive-tasting Subway Sandwich today for less than 1/3 what Subway charges. It's so easy, that even a man can do it.

You can't just make one--you have to buy enough expensive ingredients to make several. You need to buy expensive hoagie rolls, expensive dressing (mayonnaise, etc.), expensive lunch meat, expensive cheese, expensive salad dressing, expensive tomatoes, expensive lettuce, and whatever expensive vegetables you like.

1) Slice the expensive hoagie rolls COMPLETELY apart and spread them open.
2) On the top roll ONLY, add your dressing. Place one cold cut on it, then half cover it with another cold cut, then half-cover that one, etc., until you have covered the entire top roll. If you are adding pieces of cheese on top of that, make sure that they do not overlap.
3) On the bottom roll ONLY, cover complete with expensive lettuce so nothing can drip through. Cover end-to-end with slices of expensive tomato, but don't let the pieces overlap.
4) Arrange whatever expensive vegetables you want on top of the tomatoes.
5) Put salad dressing, spices, salt, pepper, whatever, on top of the vegetables.
6) Carefully put the top half on it.
7) You probably ought to cut it in half.
8) Gloat about how much money you're saving by making your own Subway Sandwich.

1)

Pretty sure this could apply to any commercially available product.

Subway isn't terrible like some places, but it makes all the difference if you can do it yourself with good quality meats and vegetables.  And it's not a sub sandwich unless you include provolone, capicola, ham, salami and pepperoni.  Add prosciutto, too, if you can. 

Also, I only use good quality cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil and wine vinegar with salt, pepper and oregano, not salad dressing. 

Or, you can just go to Jersey Mike's.  Unless you're in NJ and have access to the many great hoagie places there, these are the only subs worth buying. 

https://www.jerseymikes.com/ 

And if you're in New Jersey, then you MUST go to both these places:

Papa's Tomato Pies (pizza)
http://www.papastomatopies.com/

DeLorenzo's Tomato Pies (pizza)
http://www.delorenzospizza.com/

A recent review of Papa's in the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/28/nyregion/a-review-of-papas-tomato-pies-in-robbinsville.html

The review is right - the best tomato pie is a tomato pie -- no toppings other than cheese and tomato sauce. 

Take my word for it.  Both Papa's and DeLorenzos will take your mouth on an all expenses paid vacation to deliciousville, with a two hour layover in yumtown.  (Quoted from "Squirrel Boy")

Folks, we've got to get our acts together. I posted this on two soccer forums. One of them had 18 replies, and the other one started a new thread on the subject. Meanwhile, I've finished off two super subs and we're on our way to buy more rolls.

Vince Massi said:
Folks, we've got to get our acts together. I posted this on two soccer forums. One of them had 18 replies, and the other one started a new thread on the subject. Meanwhile, I've finished off two super subs and we're on our way to buy more rolls.

It isnt that big of a deal! Its a sandwich. Sandwiches are made every day. :)

kaba said:
Vince Massi said:

No, Kaba. It's a SUBWAY sandwich.

Vince Massi said:
kaba said:
Vince Massi said:

No, Kaba. It's a SUBWAY sandwich.

Actually, it's a submarine sandwich.  SUBWAY refers to a particular fast food vendor. 

By the way, sub sandwich is a.k.a. hoagie a.k.a. hero sandwich (Which I presume is American for the Greek Gyro sandwich, since Gyro is pronounced "hero".  However, a real Gyro is actually very different than a sub). 

Meanwhile, even as we speak, I am simmering a blend of ground beef and pork in a thick mixture of tomato puree. The delicious multi-grain bread and the pinella and mozzarella cheeses are standing by. I have frozen the grated goat cheese (Hey, I live in Mexico, all right?) for another time, in order to allow some variety.

I will probably reject the cheese-flavored mayonnaise in favor of a dab of A1 steak sauce.
After the first few sandwiches, the missus and I might experiment with some of the Mexican sauces, as well as a new seafood sauce that I bought on sale.

You are all cordially invited to my house for lunch.

Vince Massi said:
Meanwhile, even as we speak, I am simmering a blend of ground beef and pork in a thick mixture of tomato puree. The delicious multi-grain bread and the pinella and mozzarella cheeses are standing by. I have frozen the grated goat cheese (Hey, I live in Mexico, all right?) for another time, in order to allow some variety.

I will probably reject the cheese-flavored mayonnaise in favor of a dab of A1 steak sauce.
After the first few sandwiches, the missus and I might experiment with some of the Mexican sauces, as well as a new seafood sauce that I bought on sale.

You are all cordially invited to my house for lunch.

Sounds delicious! 

I'm not in Mexico, so can you just overnight the sandwich to me?  ;)

I love goat cheese, by the way.  It's great in grilled cheese sandwiches made with sourdough slices brushed with olive oil.

"I love goat cheese, by the way.  It's great in grilled cheese sandwiches made with sourdough slices brushed with olive oil."

By George, I've got to try that!

Vince, you are way too excited about making these sandwiches! Do you get out much? :)  My dad use to get goat cheese, but I remember it was brown and it had a sharp bite to it. And smelled! It was a specialty cheese, not sure where he got it. So goat cheese would not be on my list of cheeses to buy.

kaba said:
Vince, you are way too excited about making these sandwiches! Do you get out much? :)  My dad use to get goat cheese, but I remember it was brown and it had a sharp bite to it. And smelled! It was a specialty cheese, not sure where he got it. So goat cheese would not be on my list of cheeses to buy.

I've never seen brown goat cheese.  Only white. 

Even Feta (Greek goat cheese in brine) is white. 

But it is smelly!

rsc2a said:
But it is smelly!

It is fragrant, not smelly.  ;) 

Actually, I never understood why people are repulsed by the fragrance of goat cheese.  I like it.  I also think goat milk is infinitely better than cow's milk.  If it wasn't so expensive, it's all I would buy.

What about cat milk?

rsc2a said:
What about cat milk?

GROSS!!!!!

I think the brown cheese was a special cheese from Norway.

kaba said:
rsc2a said:
What about cat milk?

GROSS!!!!!

I think you're talking about Gjetost, which is a brown goat cheese from Norway.  It tastes sort of like a cross between caramel and peanut butter, with a fermented spin.  It's definitely an acquired taste.  But it doesn't taste anything like white creamy goat cheese.  Not even close. 

Speaking of Subway...

tumblr_nd3ilb0s311s59098o1_500.jpg

"Do you get out much?"

I sure do. How do you think I find the fragrant white goat cheese that I use?

But today...sob, sniff....I failed. The multi-grain bread didn't taste good with my tangy, meaty, meatball Subway Sandwich. The panela's sharp taste was diluted too much to make an appearance. I improved on my second try by adding salad dressing and more A1 steak sauce, but it just wasn't the same.

Tomorrow, the missus and I will hunt for more specialty breads, cheese mayonnaise, and goat cheese.

The Rogue Tomato said:
kaba said:
rsc2a said:
What about cat milk?

GROSS!!!!!

I think you're talking about Gjetost, which is a brown goat cheese from Norway.  It tastes sort of like a cross between caramel and peanut butter, with a fermented spin.  It's definitely an acquired taste.  But it doesn't taste anything like white creamy goat cheese.  Not even close.

I think you are right!! But I dont know if I would say a mix between caramel and peanut butter, because I like both of those. It has been a long time since I had a taste of it, but I remember it was not touched by anyone else but my dad! And it wasnt because he forbid us, it was because we all hated it. :)