Methodist and Seventh Day Adventist

*snort*

Of course, that's not the real issue with the SDAs. Saturday worship is just the camel's nose into the tent of full-blown law-keeping.  And some of their doctrines, such as the Investigative Judgment, are right out to lunch.

Also . . . Family Guy. Bad brianab. Bad bad bad.

I usually don't watch the show but the episode was about Christian Science family which I thought was odd since this is an often ignored religion and they could have done the show about a Word faith/Charismatic family.

I would gather that Christian Science is still somewhat of a going concern.  They've got a staid old church building right in the heart of downtown Ottawa, and a reading room mere blocks from Parliament Hill, in what I would assume is probably the most primo retail real estate in the city.  Someone's paying those bills.

But yeah - my overall impression of CS is that it had its heyday about 100 years ago, and is pretty much an obsolete religion now. Guess not.

brianb said:

As a Methodist, I can say that's a fairly accurate portrayal.  Except in the presence of SDAs, we don't
bounce around like Daffy Duck.  We just say "whatever" and stalk away.

While the Pentecostals have their catchphrase of "speaking in tongues", the Baptists have "once saved
always saved", and the Calvinists have the "TULIP"; all we Methodists have is "but then again what do
WE know?"

Ransom said:
I would gather that Christian Science is still somewhat of a going concern.  They've got a staid old church building right in the heart of downtown Ottawa, and a reading room mere blocks from Parliament Hill, in what I would assume is probably the most primo retail real estate in the city.  Someone's paying those bills.

But yeah - my overall impression of CS is that it had its heyday about 100 years ago, and is pretty much an obsolete religion now. Guess not.

My town used to have a Reading Room. I remember looking in the window and seeing an open KJV Bible.

My town has a CS church and a reading room, but there never seems to be anybody in the reading room.

The thing about the Christian Science group is that they are neither!

When I was little and I'd see the sign that said "Church of Jesus Christ, Scientist" I'd get this mental image of Jesus in a white coat, in a lab surrounded by test tubes and stuff...