MMA/UFC

T

Torrent v.3

Is MMA something you like? My favorite fighter is JOn Jones.

More central to this site, is it something a Christian should be able to enjoy?

Dunno if it is right or wrong but I can't enjoy it. Neither do I enjoy boxing. Love football though. :)

My favorite is Urijah Faber aka The California Kid. He's so resourceful and fun to watch!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urijah_Faber

My main reason for interest in the sport is that I practice JKD, the concept MMA is based on.

I can't think of any reason a Christian should have a problem with it. It's just a sport, no different than boxing or wrestling, and not fake like pro wrestling.

Abe Lincoln, and Saul of Tarsus would prob. be mma fighters, if they were around.

Anishinabe

prophet said:
Abe Lincoln, and Saul of Tarsus would prob. be mma fighters, if they were around.

Anishinabe

So was this how Abe Lincoln slayed vampires?

Smellin Coffee said:
prophet said:

Anishinabe

He was the Illinois State Heavyweight wrestling champ, have you heard that?

Anishinabe

prophet said:
Smellin Coffee said:
prophet said:

Anishinabe

Anishinabe

Yeah, but he never wrestled K.C. :)

FYI, my reference was to a movie that came out last year (which I have not seen) based on the book:

vampirehunter_custom-s6-c30.jpg

Smellin Coffee said:
prophet said:
Smellin Coffee said:
prophet said:

Anishinabe

Anishinabe

FYI, my reference was to a movie that came out last year (which I have not seen) based on the book:

You mean Kcow, or kcarp?
Kchicken is KFC, so I know you don't mean Col. Sanders.

Anishinabe

prophet said:
Smellin Coffee said:
prophet said:
Smellin Coffee said:
prophet said:

Anishinabe

Anishinabe

You mean Kcow, or kcarp?

Anishinabe
KCarp. He strung together like 75 wins in a row or something like that.

Smellin Coffee said:
prophet said:
Smellin Coffee said:
prophet said:
Smellin Coffee said:
prophet said:

Anishinabe

Anishinabe

You mean Kcow, or kcarp?

Anishinabe
KCarp. He strung together like 75 wins in a row or something like that.
K

Anishinabe

Izdaari said:
My favorite is Urijah Faber aka The California Kid. He's so resourceful and fun to watch!

My main reason for interest in the sport is that I practice JKD, the concept MMA is based on.

I can't think of any reason a Christian should have a problem with it. It's just a sport, no different than boxing or wrestling, and not fake like pro wrestling.

Faber is a great fighter and very resourceful as a little guy. I do disagree that MMA is based on JKD. Much of MMA has disproved many myths surrounding Martial Arts including some with JKD. We have learned the value of grappling and ground work, which Bruce Lee paid less attention to. MMA was a contest between the disciplines that evolved into a blend of the best of each art(which Bruce Lee did somewhat on his own though favoring Southern Chinese KungFu which was his foundation) Even MMA has rapidly evolved to the point where some of the early masters e.g. Royce Gracie had a hard time keeping up with the evolution and got whooped by Matt Hughes( though MH refused to finish as normal..when Gracie would not tap.) 

Izdaari said:

Nice. I have had some training in:
1. "Global Martial Arts" (mostly Tang Soo Do and Gracie Jujitsu grappling),
2. Kyuki-Do (a mix of Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido, and Judo)
3. Wing Chun

I am now taking Shaolin gongfu, which is a mix of Hung Gar, Lau Gar, Shaolin Five Animals, Long Fist, Sanda, Praying Mantis, and Wing Chun.

Holy Mole said:
Izdaari said:

Faber is a great fighter and very resourceful as a little guy. I do disagree that MMA is based on JKD. Much of MMA has disproved many myths surrounding Martial Arts including some with JKD. We have learned the value of grappling and ground work, which Bruce Lee paid less attention to. MMA was a contest between the disciplines that evolved into a blend of the best of each art(which Bruce Lee did somewhat on his own though favoring Southern Chinese KungFu which was his foundation) Even MMA has rapidly evolved to the point where some of the early masters e.g. Royce Gracie had a hard time keeping up with the evolution and got whooped by Matt Hughes( though MH refused to finish as normal..when Gracie would not tap.)

No disagreement here, though JKD has evolved beyond Bruce Lee. He was the founder but didn't know everything. My school does put a lot of emphasis on grappling and ground fighting, and to that end we include BJJ, wrestling and Pentjak Silat.