Modifications to Forums

A

admin

I would like input from forum users concern modifications to the forums. I'm considering installing a "mod" that would change the "Karma" feature to more of a "reputation" system. The mod would be very similar to what vbulletin would offer. The "mod" would add a small "heart" that you use to "agree" or "disagree" with a post. As you receive reputation (based on # of posts, user input, and etc. ) you would see "bars" associated with your user post that indicate your level of "reputation". I'm testing the "mod" in another forum and it seems to work fine.

I'm also considering upgrading the forum from "Simple Machines" to "vbulletin" if there is enough interest in the forum. I generally like "Simple Machines".

What do you think?

Thanks
Admin

admin said:
As you relieve reputation (based on # of posts, user input, and etc. ) you would see "bars" associated with your user post that indicate your level of "reputation"...

Okay...I know I have a dog as an avatar, but I do NOT plan to be "relieving" myself anywhere on this forum!!  :eek:

;D

But, seriously....yes, sounds like a good idea. :)

I promise I wasn't making fun!  It was just one of those things that was too good to pass up.  ;D

I'm not a tech person although I can download and fax LOL! I'm still finding my way around. If it is an improvement go for it if not leave it ...it's not broken...

Here's a good modification: I just noticed that this forum is titled "Annoucements."  I realize that with 3 N's already, it's probably over-quota, but nonetheless . . . ;)

admin said:
I would like input from forum users concern modifications to the forums. I'm considering installing a "mod" that would change the "Karma" feature to more of a "reputation" system. The mod would be very similar to what vbulletin would offer. The "mod" would add a small "heart" that you use to "agree" or "disagree" with a post. As you receive reputation (based on # of posts, user input, and etc. ) you would see "bars" associated with your user post that indicate your level of "reputation". I'm testing the "mod" in another forum and it seems to work fine.

I'm also considering upgrading the forum from "Simple Machines" to "vbulletin" if there is enough interest in the forum. I generally like "Simple Machines".

What do you?

Thanks
Admin

vBulletin is way better, in my estimation.  Go with it.

I dunno.  I've played with Simple Machines a few times on my own, but this is the first real-world application I've seen.  So far, I'm fairly impressed!

The editor seems a bit more full-featured than vBulletin's.

Mind you, you don't want everything it has to offer.

:)

I'd be willing to give SM a shot. It has one other advantage over the other: it's free.

I'm just happy you have a dark theme I can use. I really don't like light ones on any board. Get the WYSIWYG editor fixed, and that's my whole wish list for now.

But I don't mind if you want to switch software. Whatever you think works best and are comfortable working with. But from my perspective, this works fine.

Your karma mod idea sounds fine too, especially if you've tested it elsewhere and it works.

in vBulletin, they have "Subscriptions"

When you turn it on, and you post in a thread, you can then go to usercp and any thread that you have subscribed to (You can subscribe to all that you post in) shows up in a list on your usercp page.

This makes it very easy to tell what threads you have been in have been replied to.

Yeah, subscriptions are a nice feature.

I never used the thread subscription feature, but I did/do subscribe to whole forums on any vBulletin site I use (flea-ridden FFF, BaptistBoard, CARM, etc.).  When there are dozens of sub-forums, and you really only care about half a dozen of them, it's nice to be able to use your usercp page as a pared-down portal to the site.

admin said:

Please do. I like vBulletin so much better than this format.

Ransom said:
I dunno.  I've played with Simple Machines a few times on my own, but this is the first real-world application I've seen.  So far, I'm fairly impressed!

The editor seems a bit more full-featured than vBulletin's.

Mind you, you don't want everything it has to offer.

:)

I'd be willing to give SM a shot. It has one other advantage over the other: it's free.

Same here. I really enjoy this format.