More questions about "causing your brother to stumble"

Darkwing Duck

Elect
Reaction score
Alayman's "freebird verses that get ignored" thread got really derailed so I decided to start a new thread for my questions.

To everyone:
I Cor 8:13 Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.

How do you interpret this verse? Is there anyone on this forum that would be a vegetarian for the rest of their life if they found out I (or any brother in Christ) was offended by meat?

If you want to avoid "offending" the "weaker" brother then where do you draw the line? Are you consistent?

To everyone:
How do you interpret this verse?
Romans 14:21
It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.

For example, if you are a woman and you find out that a coworker has lustful thoughts every time he sees you in anything other than a burlap sack, should you then wear a burlap sack to work every day to avoid causing him to sin?
I think this is ridiculous but that seems to be Paul's point of view.

Darkwing Duck said:
Alayman's "freebird verses that get ignored" thread got really derailed so I decided to start a new thread for my questions.

To everyone:
I Cor 8:13 Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.

How do you interpret this verse? Is there anyone on this forum that would be a vegetarian for the rest of their life if they found out I (or any brother in Christ) was offended by meat?

If you want to avoid "offending" the "weaker" brother then where do you draw the line? Are you consistent?

To everyone:
It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.

For example, if you are a woman and you find out that a coworker has lustful thoughts every time he sees you in anything other than a burlap sack, should you then wear a burlap sack to work every day to avoid causing him to sin?

The word "offend" doesn't mean that we avoid upsetting other people or hurting their feelings regarding their scruples.  It means "cause to stumble" (or sin).  So keeping things brief, yes, the "weaker" brother (whatever that weakness of conscience might entail) means Paul said he would forego his liberty in their presence.

Darkwing Duck said:

To everyone:

To everyone:

Paul resolves he will not eat flesh offered to idols, but no other flesh, if this was an offence to a weak brother; and he not only concludes to abstain a few days, or months, or years, but as long as he should live in the world: he chose rather to live on herbs, or any other food rather than meat.

This elaborates on the point. 

23 All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful for me, but not all things edify. 24 Let no one seek his own, but each one the other?s well-being.

25 Eat whatever is sold in the meat market, asking no questions for conscience? sake; 26 for ?the earth is the Lord?s, and all its fullness.?

27 If any of those who do not believe invites you to dinner, and you desire to go, eat whatever is set before you, asking no question for conscience? sake. 28 But if anyone says to you, ?This was offered to idols,? do not eat it for the sake of the one who told you, and for conscience? sake; for ?the earth is the Lord?s, and all its fullness.? 29 ?Conscience,? I say, not your own, but that of the other. For why is my liberty judged by another man?s conscience? 30 But if I partake with thanks, why am I evil spoken of for the food over which I give thanks?

31 Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.