More sorry Christians or more homers defending the "faith "

Saved by Grace

Elect
Reaction score
So  I heard that Pastor Rick Dawson ( who had preached at OBC and WHBC Youth related activities ) passed way on Sunday. So today i thought Id see what sermon audio i could find and take a trip down memory lane so to speak,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kik1mcmUTv4&t=373s

this is the only one i could find.

Couldnt help but notice the comments underneath the video.......

Tell me what you think

Goodman Brown
14 hours ago
RIP Rick Dawson. 8-19-2018. Just simply listen to this man's message. Fear tactics on children. I know his material well. He was a deplorable man whose reason ultimately budded into a brain hemorrhage.?

Nathan Neathery
Nathan Neathery
5 hours ago (edited)
You clearly didn't know the man. Many lives were better because of his testimony. You must feel pretty big posting anonymously the day after passed. Conviction too much ??

Goodman Brown
Goodman Brown
1 hour ago
Nathan Neathery misguided much??

what do you make out of these comments when you read them ?

Are they justified ?

Was the defense of this preacher justified ?

Was the brother accusing in the right or was the brother defending the preacher in the wrong?

Saved by Grace said:
So  I heard that Pastor Rick Dawson ( who had preached at OBC and WHBC Youth related activities ) passed way on Sunday. So today i thought Id see what sermon audio i could find and take a trip down memory lane so to speak,

Couldnt help but notice the comments underneath the video.......

Tell me what you think

Goodman Brown
14 hours ago
RIP Rick Dawson. 8-19-2018. Just simply listen to this man's message. Fear tactics on children. I know his material well. He was a deplorable man whose reason ultimately budded into a brain hemorrhage.?

Nathan Neathery
Nathan Neathery
5 hours ago (edited)
You clearly didn't know the man. Many lives were better because of his testimony. You must feel pretty big posting anonymously the day after passed. Conviction too much ??

Goodman Brown
Goodman Brown
1 hour ago

what do you make out of these comments when you read them ?

Are they justified ?

Was the defense of this preacher justified ?

Was the brother accusing in the right or was the brother defending the preacher in the wrong?

I have not listened to the video... without having that context, it's hard to tell - it really could go either way as far as "fear tactics on children"... the accuser should have been silent about the "deplorable man" comment, and double that for the tactless comment about the brain hemorrhage.

The defense was pretty much in kind to the accusation, but not as out of line as the accuser.

that was my thoughts......

i did listen to it and turn out there was another church where this man preached and he preached same message and gave his testimony except it was quite a bit longer....... so i think this video only got part of the sermon.

The punch line of his testimony is being a church member, a pastor, a good person, a hard worker.....doesnt make you saved .
he got saved after becoming a pastor and came under conviction several times but various things led him from making the decision.

A compelling testimony and reminded me of what Dr Criswell sd " id be happy if half my church was saved " ( something along those lines )

BUT EVEN if this man used fear tactics ( which im not seeing based on videos ) it wasnt right to "celebrate" with a post like that the day after he passed away. Those kind of comments will draw out the worse in people.

im a nerd like that in that i like to know the story behind some people ( the preachers ) ill try look up the posters another day and see what their story is ....lol 

He was indeed a good Godly man. God Bless Pastor Dawson.

TommyBoy said:
He was indeed a good Godly man. God Bless Pastor Dawson.

that might be the most sensible thing you have ever said :)

Turn out the 2 posters that had that "spat" have a lil more to their stories. i had to ask a few OBC grads about theses names and see what i could find

Goodman Brown did not ring bell
Goodman Brown is a fictional character from a Nathaniel Hawthorne character. No telling who this was or what the real issue is.  But he harbors something deep inside. Could have been a disgruntled member in Illinois or Arkansas that pastor Dawson preached too. Pastor Dawson was a strong but gentle preacher when i have heard him so there were no doubt detractors.

Nathan Nethey is not a fictional character but a very real person. from what i heard he is an OBC grad who grew up under Pastor Dawson's preaching  he probably took exception to the comment. He was described a good guy who has kind of went off "the rails" and then quietly disappeared but got back up. one alum said he took a beating from a few  in the IFB OBC crowd but yet stayed IFB .

Also former OBC student Tim Taylor credited Pastor Dawson as a mentor as did Caleb Garraway.

TommyBoy said:
Also former OBC student Tim Taylor credited Pastor Dawson as a mentor as did Caleb Garraway.

sounds like he was royalty in IFB camp.  many of the preachers formerly of the WHBC circle were there ......Ross, Hanks, Anglea, Vineyard ( tom), Kelly, Legere, Finn was not there but he has been recovering from heart attack.

There were also alot of OBC grads there that were not part of inner circle .....

Yes he was royalty in the WHBC camp and a good Godly man. Although he wasn't an IFB "Name" like Hyles/Schaap/Tony Hutson/Larry Brown/Jack Trieber or even Alvin Martinez (yes is garnering attention through his record sales) Bro. Dawson was still a big part of OBC/WHBC and even did his own comedy but kept it relevant with his messages.

Interesting thread. I haven't posted on here in years, probably since the old site, so I had to get a new password and such to say this. But I will defend my old friend Nathan Neathery as someone who is capable of thinking for himself. I have no idea what he's doing now, but he definitely was not a Kool-Aid drinker back then, he was just the sort of typical independent-minded student, like me, that OBC actually welcomed at one point, before they decided to purge everyone who couldn't be controlled and forced to think exactly like them, at which point I could see the writing on the wall. I heard Dawson preach many times, but I never really knew him personally. I liked his preaching style, even if I was less than impressed with the way he raised the three sons that I knew. But if Neathery defends him, I'm inclined to agree with that. I'm sorry to hear of his passing, and I would like to express my condolences to his family. Just my two cents.

Now they are getting after it :)

they have since added more reply's to each other and others are posting too....

This is probably the most "exciting gossip " OBC has going for them right now.

Nathan N
Nathan N
2 months ago (edited)

Goodman Brown
Goodman Brown
2 months ago

Keegan Beaver
Keegan Beaver
2 months ago
He was an amazing preacher?

Keegan Beaver
Keegan Beaver
2 months ago
That walked with GoD?

Goodman Brown
Goodman Brown
2 months ago
He led his own family into the very sin he preached against, while obsessing about control with no regard to the impact it had on the same ones he would outwardly condemn.?

Nathan N
Nathan N
1 month ago
That is just plain dishonest and spoken like a fool.?

Goodman Brown
Goodman Brown
3 weeks ago (edited)
Nathan Neathery call no man a fool, and dishonest it is not. Rick watched infidelity, drug use, lying, cheating, stealing from the church, and divorce from his own, and yet he portrays (portrayed, oops) himself as a holy man to guide others. Also, a fool believes outlandish stories without verification?

Nathan N
Nathan N
3 weeks ago (edited)
Goodman Brown I didn't say you were a fool just implied you are speaking like one. He never condoned sin and if it had to be taken before the church it was. The church dealt with it internally. I'm sorry you don't think people got punished enough. I'd love to hear what you think should have been done.

I imply you are speaking like a fool because if you had been there ( at VBC) you would understand the whole story. You are just posting what is convenient for you.

As far as the message he preached, this is not the whole story. He was given his testimony as it happened to him. He is giving his account of a message he heard preached by J Harold Smith titled " God 3 dead lines". ( you would have known that if you actually knew him as a person ).

Was Rick Dawson perfect? No
Was /is his family perfect? No

I'll admit I don't keep up with what each person is doing since we have all grown  and went our separate ways. I don't do social ( yet here I am arguing with a nameless troll ).but how you are describing Rick Dawson is not how people remember him.?

Nathan N
Nathan N
3 weeks ago
Goodman Brown and if we are going to quote our favorite Bible verse let's go with Prov 12:22. Lying lips ....?

Goodman Brown
Goodman Brown
3 weeks ago
Nathan Neathery please, specify my lies?

Goodman Brown
Goodman Brown
2 weeks ago
Nathan Neathery I?ve always been partial to Ezekiel 25:17 myself

https://youtu.be/YcOWkFBGJPI?

Daniel Twomey
Daniel Twomey
2 weeks ago (edited)
Goodman Brown has been barred by the Fake News who posted this video, so here is his reply in the sake of all being heard, and I grew up in the place, he?s right, Rick was nuts

Nathan Neathery Nathan Neathery Speaking as a fool or being one is a linguistic semantics dodge sir, a wise person has no cause to speak as a fool, but I?ll just overlook that. I never said Rick Dawson condoned sin. Rather, he dodged taking responsibility for his family?s actions while demanding others follow the same righteous path to holiness that led to instances like Jeff Stone and the church office desk; now he did make his wife confess in front of the church, like out of a Hawthorne novel, if that?s what you mean by handling things internally. Yeah, compassionate guy. He preached against obesity, absolute separation including family, contact lenses being vanity, advocated asking Christ to suffer (guess he got that jewel in the crown), taught abjectly backward lessons regarding women, and demanded the same from his followers, or face ostracization from the only sub group a person is allowed to communicate with. And as he promised holiness and sanctuary from the world, his methods only served to backfire on his own family, but yet he continued to advocate and sell righteousness. For example, he often preached at, toted large groups of kids to, and sat on the advisory board of Oklahoma Baptist College; a College which made national news by planning to give away an ar-15 as a grand prize at their Annual Youth Conference for ages under 18-by the way, their assistant pastor and ranking school official had his son shoot himself after being expelled from college for making out with a girl. He then proceeded to crash around the country with a framed picture of his son he would place by the offering trays after warning how sin could drive one to such extremes. He preached this message at VBC to much fanfare. It was the itinerate independent fundamental baptist sermon of the year according to WXAN?s top 100. Rick one time went on a forty-day hunger strike against the flesh. But unlike Jesus in the desert, Rick was popping milkshakes like a church crowd at DQ, so unlike getting the real sensation of the body eating itself and the upper lip curling towards the brain which is seeing the precipice of life and death and the devil himself standing on the ledge, Rick just kinda ran around on random sugar boosts and vitamin tablets suffering from mild hallucinations brought on by improper nourishment and the ensuing insomnia from an unnatural and needless rise in the brain?s chemical levels that closely mirror that of a speed freak in the throes of a third day tweek; which ultimately left his elucidations on how to best lead the Christian life a bit wanting, if not downright mad; somehow even moreso than the time he said Proctor and Gamble was led by Satanist and demanded his congregation remove all P&G products from their homes lest they subject to satanic influences. Of course, he also said Halloween was first created by pagans who would abduct virgin daughters and gang rape them all night before slitting their throats (his story, not mine) and then leave a jack-o-lantern as a grim sign to monument the abduction. My point: Rick was looney.

You see, I understand the teachings of VBC, the mauve colored alter, oak cross over the pulpit and ridiculously blue carpeted gymnasium. I know the Roman?s Road in the yellow soul winning pamphlets with the smiley face. I know the place.

As to the drop-dead story, I did properly note that it was a third person story; actually that makes it all the more absurd. And the intent is unchanged. He says the fear of dying drove him to his choice, and then directly challenges children that the same may happen to them, then gives a curt ?maybe not.? Intent expressed, delivered, and sadly forwarded.?

Nathan Neathery
Nathan Neathery
1 second ago
@Daniel Twomey Daniel, its been awhile since we have seen each other. You mom and dad were a blessing to me when I was a young man there. ( and you were too:) )

I'm curious how you know what Goodman brown says/ thinks if he has been barred from posting.

Condoning Sin: I never said Rick Dawson was perfect and his family isnt either. but he claimed Bro Dawson "condoned" sin in his family . NEVER ONCE did Bro Dawson say, imply, or suggest it was OK for his family to violate God's Word.

His Family : While they aren't perfect they deserve to be forgiven like all others Eph 4:32. Part of forgiveness is not bringing it up like a bitter christian. God isnt glorified about your selective memory only remembering the sin but not the confession and repentance. While you were honest about their problems you wernt truthful. Even though Im not there anymore I still pray for each of his kids by name each day. I dont keep up with any of them but it wont change the fact that my life was better bc their dad was my pastor and I'm thankful for his family. If you have such  a problem with one of them ( im guessing you really dont like a certain one of his sons ) then tell them to their face. Im sure your criticism with out hope will offer great cheer and comfort. :)

OBC: well he did send alot of his kids there and its sad you would use Bro Finn's tragedy against him. He didnt want other's to make the same mistake his son did. I remember Bro Finn differently than how he was described in this post.  OBC was definitely pro 2nd amendment and felt the young men should be trained to fight if needed . It was their thing not necessarily Rick Dawson's thing.

Fear mongering : He was giving his testimony during this video, this video doesn't show the "entire " testimony. He was only giving the account as it happened to him. It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living GOD and salvation should not be put off. He was merely letting them know tomorrow is not certain.

Selling Righteousness: Encouraging his people to live a righteous life isn't a bad thing.

Regarding his fasting : you must know something we dont know so i suppose we are to take your word for it. Sounds like your trying to criticize someone and it just sounds petty.

"understand the teachings of VBC" : well then you should be well versed in forgiveness then right? you should be apt to show mercy ? Quick to encourage in stead of tear down?

" the mauve colored alter, oak cross over the pulpit and ridiculously blue carpeted gymnasium. I know the Roman?s Road in the yellow soul winning pamphlets with the smiley face. I know the place":

You know the place but do you know the person. Judas knew alot but ultimately wasted his life in a tragic end.
I notice you left out the services where God spoke to hearts, Comfort was given to those who were hurting ; Souls were saved; Men called to preach; Sinner getting victory over addictions, people becoming burdened for missions .....we seem to remember it differently even though we were both there.

The church is still a good place to worship. Good people and a good pastor.

I'm not speaking as a "favorite son" because i wasnt and am not anybody's favorite so I'm not a homer. I just dont think how Goodman brown has presented this is a truthful representation of how he was.  I'm not saying he was perfect, his family was perfect, or the church was perfect, but i do believe your personal walk with God is what YOU make it and you cant blame people, their problems, or petty annoyances.?