Mrs. Hyles and the kids

RAIDER

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
There has been quite a stir in recent days about the video as well as the open letter to FBCH from Linda Hyles.  Some have viewed this with an "I knew it and I believe every word" point of view.  Others think she has gone off the deep end, while some feel she may have some truth to what she is saying but she is exaggerating/lying about several items.  Everyone has an opinion.

My wife read the open letter to FBCH.  After reading the letter she commented on the different paths of Mrs. Hyles and the kids and what their family gatherings must be like (At this point I wonder if they still get together as a group).

Mrs. Hyles left FBCH shortly after Schaap became pastor (I believe my timing is correct).  Many thought she would stay around to add some stability to the transition.  I thought she left to make it easier for Cindy to take the role as the pastor's wife.  Others feel she just wanted to get away from the limelight.  When she did leave no one was surprised that she chose to go to Texas to be with her daughter.  Everyone was surprised when she chose to go to a Southern Baptist Church (yea, I believe the Doc rolled over).  Mrs. Hyles definitely disappeared from the picture.  I believe she still does a few ladies' meetings.  From what I have heard she still speaks very highly of Dr. Hyles and sheds no negative light.  I have to wonder what Mrs. Hyles thinks about what Linda is doing.  Does she know it is the truth and realizes this is what Linda needs to do for closure?  Does she know it is the truth but for embarrassment sake wishes Linda had not opened a can of worms?  Does she feel Linda is spreading a bunch of lies and Mrs. Hyles is very upset about it?  One has to wonder.

Cindy has all of the firsthand information that Linda does.  It is obvious from Cindy's biography of her dad that she views him totally different than Linda.  In fact, their views could not be any more different.  Cindy has nothing but good to say about her dad and their home life.  You would think Cindy and Linda grew up in different homes.  The fact is, they grew up in the exact same home at the same time.  Does Cindy know the truth but chooses to act as if it never happened?  Is Cindy speaking the truth in her book?  Who is lying- Cindy or Linda?  Who is standing for the truth - Cindy or Linda?  One has to wonder.

We all know Dave's history.  If anyone has had an opportunity to bring up dirt on his dad, it is Dave.  Through Dave's numerous troubles it would have been easy for him to say, "Let me tell you why I am this way.  Let me tell you about my home life."  It probably would have gained him some sympathy.  Hey, Dave Hyles is all about selling.  Imagine the sales numbers on a tell all book about his home/church life while he was growing up!  Instead he wrote a book about his dad's last days called "The Other Shore".  Dave has nothing but good to say about his dad.  Dave grew up in the same home as Cindy and Linda.  Why doesn't he "spill the beans"?  Would he not have had the most to gain by doing this?  One has to wonder.

I have to admit, I know very little about Becky.  If I am correct, she has some serious physical problems.  I believe Mrs. Hyles lives with her.  As far as I know, Becky has made no comments, good or bad, about her dad or her life as a child. 

We have all heard stories from good to bad.  Some that were close to the situation swear by what Linda says.  Others that were close to the situation say it is all a lie and nothing inappropriate ever took place.  One has to wonder.

Just some thoughts! 

Baptist City Holdout said:
Very similar to thoughts I have had, very similar!

BCH, as you have driven me around the FFF you have always been faithful to have a 3 x 5 card, Cross pen, and questions ready.  I'm not surprised we are thinking alike.  :)

IFB X-Files said:
My "guess" as to why Cindy and David are silent on being negative is:

1.  In their opinion there is nothing to be negative about.

2.  You don't burn bridges.  There is nothing to be gained by "coming out" with something negative.  Dad is dead.  Move on.

Think about this:  Do you know anyone who "spills the dirt" on a loved one after they're dead?  Oh, Linda you say.  Well, what do you think of HER for doing that? 

No one has a right to judge anyone on this matter.  Just pray for'em all and move forward.  You've got your own problems to deal with.

I agree with you.  BTW, I am not judging.  I am commenting on the different perspective that each of them seem to have.

RAIDER said:
There has been quite a stir in recent days about the video as well as the open letter to FBCH from Linda Hyles.  Some have viewed this with an "I knew it and I believe every word" point of view.  Others think she has gone off the deep end, while some feel she may have some truth to what she is saying but she is exaggerating/lying about several items.  Everyone has an opinion.

My wife read the open letter to FBCH.  After reading the letter she commented on the different paths of Mrs. Hyles and the kids and what their family gatherings must be like (At this point I wonder if they still get together as a group).

Mrs. Hyles left FBCH shortly after Schaap became pastor (I believe my timing is correct).  Many thought she would stay around to add some stability to the transition.  I thought she left to make it easier for Cindy to take the role as the pastor's wife.  Others feel she just wanted to get away from the limelight.  When she did leave no one was surprised that she chose to go to Texas to be with her daughter.  Everyone was surprised when she chose to go to a Southern Baptist Church (yea, I believe the Doc rolled over).  Mrs. Hyles definitely disappeared from the picture.  I believe she still does a few ladies' meetings.  From what I have heard she still speaks very highly of Dr. Hyles and sheds no negative light.  I have to wonder what Mrs. Hyles thinks about what Linda is doing.  Does she know it is the truth and realizes this is what Linda needs to do for closure?  Does she know it is the truth but for embarrassment sake wishes Linda had not opened a can of worms?  Does she feel Linda is spreading a bunch of lies and Mrs. Hyles is very upset about it?  One has to wonder.

Cindy has all of the firsthand information that Linda does.  It is obvious from Cindy's biography of her dad that she views him totally different than Linda.  In fact, their views could not be any more different.  Cindy has nothing but good to say about her dad and their home life.  You would think Cindy and Linda grew up in different homes.  The fact is, they grew up in the exact same home at the same time.  Does Cindy know the truth but chooses to act as if it never happened?  Is Cindy speaking the truth in her book?  Who is lying- Cindy or Linda?  Who is standing for the truth - Cindy or Linda?  One has to wonder.

We all know Dave's history.  If anyone has had an opportunity to bring up dirt on his dad, it is Dave.  Through Dave's numerous troubles it would have been easy for him to say, "Let me tell you why I am this way.  Let me tell you about my home life."  It probably would have gained him some sympathy.  Hey, Dave Hyles is all about selling.  Imagine the sales numbers on a tell all book about his home/church life while he was growing up!  Instead he wrote a book about his dad's last days called "The Other Shore".  Dave has nothing but good to say about his dad.  Dave grew up in the same home as Cindy and Linda.  Why doesn't he "spill the beans"?  Would he not have had the most to gain by doing this?  One has to wonder.

I have to admit, I know very little about Becky.  If I am correct, she has some serious physical problems.  I believe Mrs. Hyles lives with her.  As far as I know, Becky has made no comments, good or bad, about her dad or her life as a child. 

We have all heard stories from good to bad.  Some that were close to the situation swear by what Linda says.  Others that were close to the situation say it is all a lie and nothing inappropriate ever took place.  One has to wonder.

Just some thoughts!

Pretty good synopsis IMO.  The disparity in veiwpoints between the 4 Hyles kids seems to be, in many ways, a reflection of the disparity in view points between everyone else who "knew" him.  The fact that the truth can be so badly distorted (by whichever side is doing it since, as you point out, there is no reconciling the polarized views) is a little discouraging ... almost enough to make you lose faith in our ability to seek and discover the truth.  Why isn't there SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE with the willingness, knowledge, credibility, and communication skills to give an objective rundown?  The fact that such a person/people don't exist or haven't the courage to come forward is downright shameful.

Bull City Justice said:
Pretty good synopsis IMO.  The disparity in veiwpoints between the 4 Hyles kids seems to be, in many ways, a reflection of the disparity in view points between everyone else who "knew" him.  The fact that the truth can be so badly distorted (by whichever side is doing it since, as you point out, there is no reconciling the polarized views) is a little discouraging ... almost enough to make you lose faith in our ability to seek and discover the truth.  Why isn't there SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE with the willingness, knowledge, credibility, and communication skills to give an objective rundown?  The fact that such a person/people don't exist or haven't the courage to come forward is downright shameful.

If what Linda said is true, it would seem like someone, sometime would have had come forth with enough evidence to shut it down.  Obviously, it never happened.

My husband guarded Bro Hyles for over 7 years .......when he read the letter Linda wrote he said she's upset she wasn't left any money.

I've seen them out with their dad shopping and they were having a fun time....

There are some things it's not worth talking about .......answer not a fool.

I don't know the Hyles offspring except for Cindy and that is only to say hello. However, I have been here for over 25 years and have come to know quite a few people at fbch and people who were formerly from fbch. My kids have married into families that grew up there and I have quite a few relatives and I still hear stories that I have never heard before.

Was talking last weekend with some relatives who grew up at fbch but had left even before I got there. There parents still go to fbc and you always kind of wonder why but never want to ask. This past weekend I did ask. I asked my s-i-l's husband why they decided to leave in the early 1980's and he answered me with one word, "Jack Hyles."
He went to hac and was working in Dave Hyles office. He said that everyone there knew exactly what was going on. He said Dave would scre- anything that walked through his door that he could get his hands on and they told papa jack and he absolutely refused to acknowledge or believe it. He said that finally Linda started to be a little vocal about the situation and all of a sudden she was gone. He said she was there one week and one week later had moved. He said everyone just started to say that she was crazy and off her rocker.

They said that Cindy was the distant one. She never really had any close friends and nobody could get close to her. She was not unfriendly or conceited just kind of distant with people. As far as believing what Cindy would have to say about her father or anyone else, all I can tell you is that she had a very good idea what her husband was up to and she continued to talk on her radio program and in her articles about her wonderful marriage, wonderful husband, his wonderful sermons, and how wonderful everything was. She never once said, "We are human and have the same struggles as everyone else " or anything like it. It was always "My wonderful husband just preached a wonderful sermon on whatever and I was so convicted, etc. etc."

My two cents worth.

BALAAM, You are correct .....we never understood why Bro Hyles allowed things that went on .....

Sherryh said:
My husband guarded Bro Hyles for over 7 years .......when he read the letter Linda wrote he said she's upset she wasn't left any money.

I've seen them out with their dad shopping and they were having a fun time....

There are some things it's not worth talking about .......answer not a fool.

:-X

I have seen Jack Hyles retire to the basement in his home with my own eyes. He denied it to the media and the congregation. That family defined the term dysfunctional.

redeemed said:
I'm confused.  Didn't you read Voyle Glover's book?  I believe Linda.  I don't believe Cindy anymore.

Well duh. You can't be a hacker unless confusion is one of your constant companions! ;D ;D ;D

None of us know what went inside the Hyles' home. Cindy and Linda do paint very different pictures. We have all heard stories. Making assumptions is dicey. Just because he retired to the basement does not necessarily mean anything more than he was a night owl and loved to read, prepare sermons, and write his books late into the night in his basement office. Most pastors are too busy and distracted during the day if they have a daily operational ministry with staff and people around during the week.

Maybe Mrs Hyles didn't like to be disturbed once she went to bed so he stayed in the basement on a spare bed. Who knows...

Mrs Hyles said from the pulpit at his funeral that was the "best" Christian she had ever known. Powerful statement. She didn't have to say it. If he was as bad as Linda portrays she could have been respectful of the dead without bestowing unearned praise. The fact she said he was a Christian example and has remained faithful to his memory and "legacy" of his ministry by speaking at mtgs where Hyles is still very much revered says alot. She has spoken with John Wilkerson and offered her support and prayer.

Someone said earlier that Dave could come out and play the blame game and dump on his dad but he hasn't.

The bottom line is very simple ... IF what Linda claims is true and all the stories of the real Hyles home are true than that means not only was Dr Hyles not what he appeared to be in public BUT neither was Mrs Hyles. She wrote books. She taught at Hyles/Anderson College. She traveled and lectured to women across the country. IF Hyles was a bad dude and an evil father ... then Mrs Hyles enabled it and covered it up and participated in the perfect family false image. Linda should do a Mommy Dearest tell all and out her mother for covering up the sins of an evil monster (sarcasm intended).

The truth lies more in the middle. No, the Hyles' were not the perfect family like the Cleavers on TV (Leave It To Beaver). No family is. But they were not the Manson's either as Linda would have you believe. Dr Hyles was gone alot. That played a key into David's issues I am sure. I am also sure it added stress between Dr and Mrs Hyles. Her book entitled Life Viewed from the Fishbowl was a peek into her psyche'. She was and remains an extremely private person. I don't think she ever liked living in the North. I don't think she ever adapted to the "fame" of her husband. I am positive she told him more than once NOT to talk about her or the family in sermons. She liked her privacy. Yes, after the Nischik - Biblical Evangelist explosion she removed the muzzle and yes they all went overboard (the portrait on the Walker bldg was stupid).

Years ago when I asked why Linda was not around and nearly never mentioned I was told my a man who shared the platform with Dr Hyles across the country in conferences that Linda's behavior made Dave look like an angel. I was taken back by that. But in her recent expose' .... I am beginning to believe she is the manipulator and whatever she learned in that area maybe it wasn't from dad but mom...

I have always believed Mrs Hyles resented the move from Texas and Dr Hyles absences. I am convinced she blamed Dr H (by being gone so much) for Dave's downfall and muzzled him from dealing with it as he should have. I believe he dolled her up and spoiled her as a means of keeping her happy and satisified. In other words, she manipulated him. Dr Hyles had a mistress ... NO, not Jennie Nischik ... First Baptist-The Ministry-The Work. That's where he got his satisifaction and fulfillment.

At his death Mrs Hyles statement as to his genuine Christianity was an acknowledgement on her part that he had remained faithful, loyal, and loving to her and the family.

Pastor Marty said:
None of us know what went inside the Hyles' home. Cindy and Linda do paint very different pictures. We have all heard stories. Making assumptions is dicey. Just because he retired to the basement does not necessarily mean anything more than he was a night owl and loved to read, prepare sermons, and write his books late into the night in his basement office. Most pastors are too busy and distracted during the day if they have a daily operational ministry with staff and people around during the week.

Maybe Mrs Hyles didn't like to be disturbed once she went to bed so he stayed in the basement on a spare bed. Who knows...

Mrs Hyles said from the pulpit at his funeral that was the "best" Christian she had ever known. Powerful statement. She didn't have to say it. If he was as bad as Linda portrays she could have been respectful of the dead without bestowing unearned praise. The fact she said he was a Christian example and has remained faithful to his memory and "legacy" of his ministry by speaking at mtgs where Hyles is still very much revered says alot. She has spoken with John Wilkerson and offered her support and prayer.

Someone said earlier that Dave could come out and play the blame game and dump on his dad but he hasn't.

The bottom line is very simple ... IF what Linda claims is true and all the stories of the real Hyles home are true than that means not only was Dr Hyles not what he appeared to be in public BUT neither was Mrs Hyles. She wrote books. She taught at Hyles/Anderson College. She traveled and lectured to women across the country. IF Hyles was a bad dude and an evil father ... then Mrs Hyles enabled it and covered it up and participated in the perfect family false image. Linda should do a Mommy Dearest tell all and out her mother for covering up the sins of an evil monster (sarcasm intended).

The truth lies more in the middle. No, the Hyles' were not the perfect family like the Cleavers on TV (Leave It To Beaver). No family is. But they were not the Manson's either as Linda would have you believe. Dr Hyles was gone alot. That played a key into David's issues I am sure. I am also sure it added stress between Dr and Mrs Hyles. Her book entitled Life Viewed from the Fishbowl was a peek into her psyche'. She was and remains an extremely private person. I don't think she ever liked living in the North. I don't think she ever adapted to the "fame" of her husband. I am positive she told him more than once NOT to talk about her or the family in sermons. She liked her privacy. Yes, after the Nischik - Biblical Evangelist explosion she removed the muzzle and yes they all went overboard (the portrait on the Walker bldg was stupid).

Years ago when I asked why Linda was not around and nearly never mentioned I was told my a man who shared the platform with Dr Hyles across the country in conferences that Linda's behavior made Dave look like an angel. I was taken back by that. But in her recent expose' .... I am beginning to believe she is the manipulator and whatever she learned in that area maybe it wasn't from dad but mom...

I have always believed Mrs Hyles resented the move from Texas and Dr Hyles absences. I am convinced she blamed Dr H (by being gone so much) for Dave's downfall and muzzled him from dealing with it as he should have. I believe he dolled her up and spoiled her as a means of keeping her happy and satisified. In other words, she manipulated him. Dr Hyles had a mistress ... NO, not Jennie Nischik ... First Baptist-The Ministry-The Work. That's where he got his satisifaction and fulfillment.

At his death Mrs Hyles statement as to his genuine Christianity was an acknowledgement on her part that he had remained faithful, loyal, and loving to her and the family.

Very well written.

Pastor Marty said:

This is a good point that I have not considered before.

This seems a bit obvious to me. I mentioned it in another post but I fail to see why people continually fawn over Beverly and Cindy. Jack wasn't retiring to the basement to study or read only to return to his marital bed later. There was no marital bed. They were people living separate lives in the same house and actually had to have separate living quarters in the same house. I saw it.

Whether Beverly and Cindy continued the myth of Jack "for the good of the ministry" or because it was in their own interests to do so is really the only unknown. ALl of you can speculate all you want. I saw it.

I could say more but I value my anonymity.

redeemed said:
RAIDER said:
Bull City Justice said:

If what Linda said is true, it would seem like someone, sometime would have had come forth with enough evidence to shut it down.  Obviously, it never happened.

When you write "it" never happened, what are you referring to?

No one came forth with enough factual, believable evidence to get rid of the preacher or have enough people leave to shut the church down.

This thread is interesting.  OP states that there are different opinions in the immediate family as to what JH was like, or at least, they each have a different public testimony as to what home life was like. 

Next, people all pile on with which of the kids are correct and which is wrong and why the poster believes.......

Seems as though the same old argument is taking place.  Whatever paradigm one has, he tries to force the story to fit his view.  Typically, until you are willing to see the other viewpoint, you will never see clearly.  Clouded vision produces clouded judgment which cannot be trusted.

Voyle Glover and Vic Nischik's books weren't enough? Linda's account isn't enough? George Godfrey wasn't credible? Face it. There is no "witness' that would have been credible enough to remove Jack Hyles from the pulpit of FBC. The time the deacons were even going to consider based on Vic Nischik's complaint during a deacon meeting, JH threatened to start a church across the street if they even brought removing him up for a vote. Had that happened, which church would have had the greater attendance? The JH worshipers were and are still solidly in the majority. That worship transferred to the JH channeler, Jack Schaap. He could say anything from the pulpit and no one said a word. He could be caught with pictures of his sexual relationship with a minor and be offered a six month sabbatical.

It is unrealistic to think the lack of a "credible witness" was the problem.

Norefund said:
Voyle Glover and Vic Nischik's books weren't enough? Linda's account isn't enough? George Godfrey wasn't credible? Face it. There is no "witness' that would have been credible enough to remove Jack Hyles from the pulpit of FBC. The time the deacons were even going to consider based on Vic Nischik's complaint during a deacon meeting, JH threatened to start a church across the street if they even brought removing him up for a vote. Had that happened, which church would have had the greater attendance? The JH worshipers were and are still solidly in the majority. That worship transferred to the JH channeler, Jack Schaap. He could say anything from the pulpit and no one said a word. He could be caught with pictures of his sexual relationship with a minor and be offered a six month sabbatical.

It is unrealistic to think the lack of a "credible witness" was the problem.

Very good post.