Nate Oats, Maranatha Alumni (Larry Oat's son) now Crimson Side Coach

Yeah, and he got a 3.2 Million $$$ contract. I wonder if he'll tithe to Maranatha. He used to coach there.
Why should he tithe to Maranatha? Maranatha isn't a church. Also, his father, Larry Oats was raised in my home church in Pekin, IL. I was good friends with Larry's stepfather and his mother. I also went to MBBC back in the 80s. Good school and Larry is a good man. I'm sure he raised his son right, and the Lord is honoring his son.

I was kidding about the tithe. I went to Maranatha in the 90's, and knew Larry well. he is a good man. I had him come preach in the church I pastored one weekend. Always a godly, humble man. The church I am in now, the pastor and a couple of guys went to school with Nate, and they say he is the real deal, a solid Christian. That is good to hear.
I've always had a lot of respect for Larry and his family. They have always been good to me.

I do not know any of them. I was there 92-95 in graduate school.
I was there in 1982-83, a decade before you. Wish I could have gone back. My wife and I are thinking about taking a trip to Watertown to visit the campus and possibly see some old friends there.

I do not know any of them. I was there 92-95 in graduate school.
Did you know Jerry and Karen Bond? They worked for the university at that time, I believe. They're also from my home church in Illinois. I'm not sure if Jon Kincaid went to MBBC/MBU or not. But, I believe he did...you might know him.

We are pretty close in age. I left the Maranatha orbit in about 2002. I had to. Became a Calvinist, use contemporary music, and my wife wears pants.
Well, I have longer hair than was acceptable at MBBC/MBU, listen to some CCM, and also use other Bible versions as references. My wife wears pants...and we're now SBC members, not IFB any longer. We're considering becoming non-denominational.

Yeah, I'm a continuationist, drink beer, use the Greek and Hebrew and the ESV, and occasionally the NIV. But all of my kids are walking with Christ, one was a pastor, two are misssionaries, so the grace of God has been with me for many years, despite departing from the faith. I don't know the people you do. I was a grad student, so I did not know many undergrads. And I went to the other church, Fellowship, where the youth pastor used the CCM songbook in youth group. HERETICS, I tell ya'.
I am in a Pillar church, which is a network of SBC churches. Lots of MBBC related people, but even though we all have left fundamentalism, we all agree that we did get good educations and there are still good people there. I cannot bad-mouth them.
I can't bad-mouth them at all. Though we had some differences, and though the college confiscated several things during my 12 months there, including books and study materials on end times/the rapture, and though I was threatened with expulsion, and also had them interfering in my engagement to a Sr. who graduated the year I was there, I loved it! Great education and I loved Dr. C to death. Of course, I knew him, and Dr. Richard Weeks, as they were long-time friends of my pastor. I still believe they are one of the better schools around. I still recommend them to people who are seeking a good, strong, Christian education!
I don't drink...stopped years ago, and don't smoke...quit back in March of 2000 when I was ready to go disabled. Most of the IFB friends I've had have put anathema on me! LOL Good for them...the pharisees! They live by the letter of the law, have little joy in their Christian walks, and don't understand the freedom I have in livng in the GRACE of our Lord!

Did you know Jerry and Karen Bond? They worked for the university at that time, I believe. They're also from my home church in Illinois. I'm not sure if Jon Kincaid went to MBBC/MBU or not. But, I believe he did...you might know him.
I know Jon Kincaid. I went to MBBC from 1984-1988z. He was in my class. Mr. Hershberger showed me the Calvinist way :) Though he never used the term. Even Weniger fought against the seniPelagianism sentiment.

I used the NIV and didn’t know there was an issue. Then I ran into the TROnlies/Thomas Strouse lackies. Weniger introduced the N/A Greek :)
We probably know each other. I am Barry Pendley (‘88 grad)

Last edited:
I know Jon Kincaid. I went to MBBC from 1984-1988z. He was in my class. Mr. Hershberger showed me the Calvinist way :) Though he never used the term. Even Weniger fought against the seniPelagianism sentiment.

I used the NIV and didn’t know there was an issue. Then I ran into the TROnlies/Thomas Strouse lackies. Weniger introduced the N/A Greek :)
We probably know each other. I am Barry Pendley (‘88 grad)
I went to MBBC from 82-83. I was "engaged" to Jannette Reava who graduated from MBBC in 1983. Dr. Weniger was from a church that my home church fellowshipped with (he was the former pastor of a church (Calvary Baptist) in Bloomington/Normal Illinois). We knew him pretty well. Jon Kincaid was from my home church and attended the Christian school there along with my brothers and sisters. He's now the administrator of that school. ;) Dr. Strouse and I never saw eye to eye on several things, but, we never had any problems....except that he consistently put me to sleep in my first class every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday! LOL Other people I knew at MBBC were Ernie LaSalle, Debbie Finup, Hector Crespo, Nathan McKlay, Dean McGarry (sp), my best friend Larry Simon, and his wife who was Cristine Cobb at that time. I also knew Judy McVey and many others. We probably know many of the same people.