New Generation Hackers

RAIDER

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
The daughter of some very close friends was married on Friday evening.  The bride and groom both attended HAC.  My wife and I were involved with the reception.  Out of the 10 total bridesmaids and groomsmen 8 of them attend HAC.  Of course, it was game time for me!  :)

Everyone was standing outside before the rehearsal.  I said in a loud voice, "How many of you are Hackers?"  I got everything from a dirty look to a lost look to a smile to a chuckle.  One of the guys piped up with a bit of an attitude and said, "Where did you go to college?"  I said, "I'm a '83 HAC graduate".  He calmed down pretty quick.  I did feel a bit old when they all said, "I wasn't even born at that time!"

I was in the foyer as they lined up to go into the auditorium.  I said, "This would be a good time to sing the alma mater song."  I followed up by starting the song.  Again, I received a variety of reactions.  It was great!  No, my wife was not humored.  :)

In my mind I turned back the clock and began to think of HAC students during my day.  Here are some differences I noticed about the new generation Hackers:

* The length of the skirts kind of shocked me.  Several of the gals' skirts barely came to the top of the knee.  Most of these gals had come straight from HAC for the wedding.  I wonder if they are "rebels" or if the HAC dress standards have loosened up?

* Friendliness was always a strong point of HAC students.  I watched these kids keep to themselves and act almost snobbish.

* Two of the gals were late to the rehearsal.  They had been there during the day and decided they needed something from Wal Mart at the last minute.  When they showed up they acted like it was no big deal.  The preacher was not humored.

*When the reception ended people began to help clean and put up tables and chairs.  The HAC students either disappeared or sat and chatted with one another.

Now, there was one young man that reminded me of my generation of Hackers.  He was friendly and went out of his way to be helpful.  Perhaps this has nothing to do with HAC, but is rather the way the younger generation acts.  I was not disappointed, just a bit surprised.

It's not just new generation Hackers. 

It's pretty much - across the board - new generation Christians. 

The heart of a servant is sadly missing in many of them. 

There has always been a decline, I think all things are tended to go that way.  The difference from when I was a student is pretty amazing.  To walk through what was once the "dating lobby" and to see nothing but students on their Laptops, tablets, or phones is pretty shocking.... I think Dr. Hyles had the right philosophy about constructing buildings that would only last a decade or two.

I can only imagine the shock of those before me.....we consider those The Greatest Generation of HACkers.

I agree with Patriotic-new generation Christians

Norefund said:
How many demerits did you pass out?

I had them line up in front of an office and told them to refer to me as Brother Sprunger.  :)

Do these young'uns even know the difference between a HACker and a hacker? 

Binaca Chugger said:

I don't even know that.

BALAAM said:
Binaca Chugger said:

I don't even know that.

So old you your only HACker is in the YMBAH?

These young'uns only know of the criminal hackers that spread virus.

Binaca Chugger said:

I do not think they know the difference.  Somewhere along the way a generation allowed the word "Hacker" to not be passed to the next generation.  They forgot about those of us in the early '80s who kept the word alive even when it was added to the rule book as an offense.  They forgot about the great pioneers who plowed the way in the early days.  Stinkin' (I love that word!) new generation!!

RAIDER said:
Binaca Chugger said:

I do not think they know the difference.  Somewhere along the way a generation allowed the word "Hacker" to not be passed to the next generation.  They forgot about those of us in the early '80s who kept the word alive even when it was added to the rule book as an offense.  They forgot about the great pioneers who plowed the way in the early days.  Stinkin' (I love that word!) new generation!!

I will not allow society to change the definition of good words!

Binaca Chugger said:
I will not allow society to change the definition of good words!

Now that will shuck the corn!!

RAIDER said:
Binaca Chugger said:

The younger HACkers shouted while the older HACkers wept.

Bravo said:
The younger HACkers shouted while the older HACkers wept.

That was down right beautiful.