No organ at FBC on Sunday morning

tobytyler

Elect
Reaction score
This is the first time that I can remember, but there was no organ at FBC this morning.  Mrs. Colsten was sick (told to the congregation by Bro Johnny and Pastor Wilkerson) but there was no substitute.  I know that the Colsten's have been extremely faithful in their attendance these past decades and there isn't much of a need for a sub at the organ, but you'd think that there would've been one!?

While growing up at FBC in the mid 60's through the late 80's, I can only remember 2 substitute organists during all of those years  (Mrs. Lanoue and Mrs. Godfrey).  Both were talented on the organ but rarely were given the opportunity during one of the 3 public services.  Both of these ladies were the organists for the Pastor's Sunday school class though.

Are there no organists left at FBC who could sub?  (Reichen or Jerry Smith) 

Mrs. Colston fell last week and had a massive injury to her face. Black eye and the whole 9 yards.

It looked like someone had beaten her on the head.

She would not go to the Doc to get checked out.

Some suspect she had a concussion and now possibly has a serious brain problem.

She can not walk without falling now, and is perpetually dizzy.

Pray that she will recover.

I was there this morning and distinctly heard them say Mrs. A O'------ (don't want to throw around the names of the innocent) was subbing or was to sub at the organ.

I will say I blithely accepted as truth Pastor W's assertion that this dizziness had nothing to do with the fall last week, but rather was caused by the flu. Because that is what he said.

Flu or concussion, yes pray for her I shall.

Yes she says she has the flu. So that is what Pastor will say.

I do not believe it.

She has not been to the doc.

She is self diagnosed.

Yes there was another lady trying to play the organ this morning.

tobytyler said:
This is the first time that I can remember, but there was no organ at FBC this morning.  Mrs. Colsten was sick (told to the congregation by Bro Johnny and Pastor Wilkerson) but there was no substitute.  I know that the Colsten's have been extremely faithful in their attendance these past decades and there isn't much of a need for a sub at the organ, but you'd think that there would've been one!?

While growing up at FBC in the mid 60's through the late 80's, I can only remember 2 substitute organists during all of those years  (Mrs. Lanoue and Mrs. Godfrey).  Both were talented on the organ but rarely were given the opportunity during one of the 3 public services.  Both of these ladies were the organists for the Pastor's Sunday school class though.

Are there no organists left at FBC who could sub?  (Reichen or Jerry Smith)
Sorry to hear about Mrs. C...prayer outbound.

Our church is 5 year old & has never used an organ.

bgwilkinson said:
Yes she says she has the flu. So that is what Pastor will say.

I do not believe it.

She has not been to the doc.

She is self diagnosed.

Yes there was another lady trying to play the organ this morning.

Here is info from Mayo Clinic on concussions.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/concussion/basics/symptoms/CON-20019272

Headache or a feeling of pressure in the head
    Temporary loss of consciousness
    Confusion or feeling as if in a fog
    Amnesia surrounding the traumatic event
    Dizziness or "seeing stars"
    Ringing in the ears
    Nausea or vomiting
    Slurred speech
    Fatigue

You might think you had the flu after sustaining a concussion.

I'm not a Doc but a Doc made the above list.

Please pray we can get Mrs. Colston to go to a Doc.

Mrs. Colston was at the organ pumping out the tunes tonight.

Thanks for praying for her.

bgwilkinson said:
Mrs. Colston was at the organ pumping out the tunes tonight.

Thanks for praying for her.
She was well ensconced on her circus organ bench when I checked in there at FBCH/HAC in 1977. So.....a few questions:
  • Hasn't anyone gotten tired on the same-old-same-old yet?
  • Is it any wonder that young people in churches that continue to use the same songs decade after decade are losing their young people, when all in the world they have ever heard in church is same OLD stuff they've always known (even if it is doctrinally sound)?

Tom Brennan said:
  • fishinnut said:
    • Is it any wonder that young people in churches that continue to use the same songs decade after decade are losing their young people, when all in the world they have ever heard in church is same OLD stuff they've always known (even if it is doctrinally sound)?

Yea, that's why we had people weeping during the song service last Sunday morning... Just too much of that old music, I guess. What they really need is somebody rocking out up there in order to connect with God.

• I don't think he said anything about rocking out but to incorporate some new songs.

I remember one particular chapel service at HBHS when Mrs. C came and played the organ. She used the Spinal Tap amplifiers that went to 11. The windows shook. Seriously, they did.

I remember JS tried to get rid of her and Johnny.  Well, guess who's still there!!!

On Sunday evening, Bro Johnny gave a short testimony before he read the scripture about the Lord "appearing".
You could hear the emotion in his voice as he spoke and I was blessed more from his brief statements than from the whole service.

There aren't more sincere people serving at FBC than the Colsten's.  They truly have a strong desire to serve their Lord more than a pastor or their employer. 

I'm happy to hear that Mrs C was back at the organ----like her style or not, there is a deep void in the services when she's not there.  The same is true when Bro Johnny isn't there.  Back when Schaap was still there, other staff men would lead in the scripture reading during his illness, but there seemed to be the same void in the service.  I think that having the Colsten's still in their same positions that they've held for nearly 50 years gives some sort of assurance to the longtime members who aren't adjusting to so much change in the church membership and leadership.

Mathew Ward said:
Tom Brennan said:
  • fishinnut said:

Yea, that's why we had people weeping during the song service last Sunday morning... Just too much of that old music, I guess. What they really need is somebody rocking out up there in order to connect with God.

• I don't think he said anything about rocking out but to incorporate some new songs.
I replied to this once but it didn't post.
I recently watched a video of George Beverly Shea singing I'd rather have Jesus that anything and I wept.
George Beverly Shea and Cliff Barrows reminisce at The Cove
But I didn't listen to it sung or played month after month of week after week like the members of most traditional Baptist churches where the young people (ex: 18-25 year olds) are walking away & finding a different place to worship.

The church I attend uses the new songs by new writers in a contemporary style. Thousands of young people cram into our 3 services each week & lift their voices like I've never heard before in praise to The Living Lord Jesus.
Here is our worship leader & our band....
Chris Tomlin - "At The Cross" [Live @ Passion 2014] HD

fishinnut said:
The church I attend uses the new songs by new writers in a contemporary style. Thousands of young people cram into our 3 services each week & lift their voices like I've never heard before in praise to The Living Lord Jesus.

I feel like I'm watching the Johnny Carson show!  :)

RAIDER said:
fishinnut said:

Dude, you're a HACker. It should be the "Johnny Colston Show" and not that evil "Johnny Carson"!

Smellin Coffee said:
RAIDER said:
fishinnut said:

Dude, you're a HACker. It should be the "Johnny Colston Show" and not that evil "Johnny Carson"!

A true HACker doesn't even know who Johnny Whatshisname is...

Mathew Ward said:
Smellin Coffee said:
RAIDER said:
fishinnut said:

Yep. Nor will he ever listen to the musicians from hell: Johnny Trash and Amy Grunt.

Smellin Coffee said:
Mathew Ward said:
Smellin Coffee said:
RAIDER said:
fishinnut said:

Yep. Nor will he ever listen to the musicians from hell: Johnny Trash and Amy Grunt.

Yep. Nor will he watch Hell's Box Office or SintotheMax

But he will start a motorcyle ministry which he calls Hyles Angels:D

SmellingCoffee I have a vision of that now ............... 8)