Northland is now Southern Baptist

FSSL

Staff member
Administrator
Doctor
Reaction score
Yes... many alumni are not happy. Here is my take (non alumnus)

1. What is so bad about SBC? Nothing different than any other fundamentalist group.

2. Now Northland will have a legitimate accreditation instead of the TRACS system. All alumnus of Northland will benefit.

3. Northland would have gone the way of Pillsbury... defunct.

4. The SB didn't need Northland..Northland needed the SB.

A camp that became a college that became a university that is now a satellite campus.

There we have it!  A camp to campus!

FSSL said:
1. What is so bad about SBC? Nothing different than any other fundamentalist group.
Nothing. It is true there is a broad spectrum of SBC churches from liberal to arch conservative, but the same can be said of IFB.
2. Now Northland will have a legitimate accreditation instead of the TRACS system. All alumnus of Northland will benefit.
TRACS is legitimate accreditation and is recognized by the US Department of Education.
3. Northland would have gone the way of Pillsbury... defunct.
Yes, and for the same reasons. Both appealed to a too-narrow group of churches/parents/students. (My wife is a Pillsbury alum.)
4. The SB didn't need Northland..Northland needed the SB.
Yep.

Thomas Cassidy said:
TRACS is legitimate accreditation and is recognized by the US Department of Education.

True. Eventhough TRACS is recognized as legitimate accreditation, TRACS is a joke and has a real credibility problem. Boyce has stellar accreditation.

That is what I tried to communicate, albeit poorly.

Binaca Chugger said:
What is Northland?

A "College" in the upper Wisconsin woods. Beautiful country.

Northland never was known for high academics, but it was mission-oriented and taught students to "serve".  I like that (but wish they had a good education, too).  8)

While Northland may drift toward to bottom of academic institutions we all thank God it was not a HAC type "kawledge" that did more harm than good.

I don't know the details of Northland's decision, but it worked for Falwell. Although he kept his university independent, he took his church into the Convention. This allowed Falwell to get better teachers and better academics.

Looks like another Christian college will be closing