Numbering Question

BALAAM

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
This may sound dumb but I really don't know the answer to this.

I came from fbch in Hammond where numbers was the huge thing and they boasted numbers that were astronomical. When JH died and Schaap took over they determined that fbch only had half the attendance that they had boasted before and had his hide scalded from all across the country from people who thought jh could do no wrong.

Now here is my question:
When you have a large attendance, how do you actually count them? If you sold tickets or had turnstiles then I could see but how do you count a large crowd without these things. The church I attend now has three services and they said that they have had an 11% increase in attendance over the last year. I just wonder how you know this.

BALAAM said:
I came from fbch in Hammond where numbers was the huge thing and they boasted numbers that were astronomical. When JH died and Schaap took over they determined that fbch only had half the attendance that they had boasted before and had his hide scalded from all across the country from people who thought jh could do no wrong.
Now here is my question:
When you have a large attendance, how do you actually count them? If you sold tickets or had turnstiles then I could see but how do you count a large crowd without these things. The church I attend now has three services and they said that they have had an 11% increase in attendance over the last year. I just wonder how you know this.
You have the usher from each section do their own count. They know how many seats are in their section and they subtract the number of empty seats from the total.

The ushers also count any who walk in up until offering time. The head usher collects the attendance worksheet s and fills out the summary worksheet to be submitted to the church secretary.

Its not a big deal.

sword said:
BALAAM said:
Now here is my question:

You have the usher from each section do their own count. They know how many seats are in their section and they subtract the number of empty seats from the total.

The ushers also count any who walk in up until offering time. The head usher collects the attendance worksheet s and fills out the summary worksheet to be submitted to the church secretary.

Its not a big deal.

Same as my church.

:)

Then Satan stood against Israel and incited David to number Israel.

whistling.jpg~c200

sword said:
BALAAM said:
Now here is my question:

Its not a big deal.
I hate to tell you but this is not really correct. Thanks anyway.

BALAAM said:
sword said:
BALAAM said:
Now here is my question:

Its not a big deal.
I hate to tell you but this is not really correct. Thanks anyway.
I should have been clear, this is how some large churches handle it & this is exactly how my church handles it. I have no idea how FBCH handles it or if they even attempt to count their church attenders.

Sorry for the confusion.

Perhaps churches should install one of these at each door leading into the "sanctuary..."

:D :D

So, actually nobody knows any more than I do?

BALAAM said:

Now here is my question:

Perhaps being focussed on numbers is wrong?  American Christianity tends to  be a little too success-oriented.

Walt said:
BALAAM said:

Now here is my question:

Perhaps being focussed on numbers is wrong?  American Christianity tends to  be a little too success-oriented.

You are right about this. The only reason it was even brought up is because they are trying to get more people to come to the 8:00 am service or 11:00 am service because the 9:30 am service is so packed. There are children's ministry issues, parking issues, etc. and that is why they said that this particular church had an 11% increase in attendance. It made me wonder how anyone knows how you number a large crowd.

BALAAM said:
When you have a large attendance, how do you actually count them?

Just before the offering, our ushers do a count of their section. I imagine (as someone has mentioned already) they just count the empty seats, as we have theatre seating and the number of spots is known. They're actually quite discreet; it was a few years before I realized what they were doing.

Walt said:
BALAAM said:

Now here is my question:

Perhaps being focussed on numbers is wrong?  American FUNDAMENTALISM tends to  be a little too success-oriented.

Fixed it for you.

earnestly contend

I found out today that they take pictures of the auditorium and count that way. Not 100% accurate because people come and go all the time but that is what they do. Learn something new every day!

prophet said:
Walt said:
BALAAM said:

Now here is my question:

Perhaps being focussed on numbers is wrong?  American FUNDAMENTALISM tends to  be a little too success-oriented.

Fixed it for you.

earnestly contend

Thank you!  While I agree that many fundamentalists are obsessed in this way, I do not believe it is limited to fundamentalists... I don't consider Joel Osteen and Hybles to be fundamentalists, but they do seem to also be very success-oriented.

BALAAM said:
I found out today that they take pictures of the auditorium and count that way. Not 100% accurate because people come and go all the time but that is what they do. Learn something new every day!

If we only had pictures, like this, of FBCH from the 70's, 80's & 90's we could answer the Hyles attendance numbers questions once and for all.

Even if it was just the major conferences it would shed some light on what the numbers really were.