Ok, you’ve decided to go to the movies tonight…

Neither. I'll just plug in my Nativity DVD if I get the urge to watch a movie.

I'm not much for gangster movies anymore, though the anachronistic musical underscoring caught my attention, and may signal an artistic achievement worth viewing. I'm just not into rooting for the bad guy, AND I can't take graphic violence anymore, even though I know it's fake.

It's nice to see a biblical story with bright colors and some lively characters (finally), but what I saw between the characters of Joseph and Mary was too Western and contemporary and signals to me a popularization/profanation of the entire narrative...a disney-fying of a classic story. Artistically, though, it still may be fun to watch, but I cringe at the thought that, inevitably, there will be puerile pastors organizing field trips flocking to see it.

Anyone halt at the black, braided Gabriel? I didn't. Thought it was a nice touch. What? Africans can't act in a nativity? Weren't the tidings to ALL people?

I knew that there’d be subjectivity in judgment regarding their taking some artistic license. I didn’t have much issues with the way that played out. Ironically, me and ALAYWIFE both agreed afterwards last night that the character they presented as Gabriel was the only significant excess in that license taken. That doesn’t have anything to do with the dude’s skin color but rather the fact that he was portrayed in comedic effort as bumbling. They did so by showing him rehearsing his pronouncement to Mary as if he was uncertain of God’s orders. And secondly, just before he was to appear to Mary he floated through an archway in powerful anticipation of the declaration and as he traversed the arch he bumped his head. Producers simply trying too hard to get a laugh.

I also had similar sentiments that you expressed about pop-culture’s dumbing down Biblical themes in order to draw a crowd.

I knew that there’d be subjectivity in judgment regarding their taking some artistic license. I didn’t have much issues with the way that played out. Ironically, me and ALAYWIFE both agreed afterwards last night that the character they presented as Gabriel was the only significant excess in that license taken. That doesn’t have anything to do with the dude’s skin color but rather the fact that he was portrayed in comedic effort as bumbling. They did so by showing him rehearsing his pronouncement to Mary as if he was uncertain of God’s orders. And secondly, just before he was to appear to Mary he floated through an archway in powerful anticipation of the declaration and as he traversed the arch he bumped his head. Producers simply trying too hard to get a laugh.

I also had similar sentiments that you expressed about pop-culture’s dumbing down Biblical themes in order to draw a crowd.
Well, I haven't seen the movie. My judgment was based on the trailers. :)

You bunch of wicked backslidden reprobates! You know the Movie House is the Devil's House!

REPENT and go soulwinning!

You bunch of wicked backslidden reprobates! You know the Movie House is the Devil's House!

REPENT and go soulwinning!
i did.... my outreach group went out friday for a few hours - since most people had the day off... .... and i was already dressed up since i had my days mixed up for the veterans day ceremony..... .... .. but even if we didn;t hit the streets.. i never go see a movie on friday through sundays.. .. worse day of all at the theater for crowds... .... then today was the actual veterans day ceremony at punchbowl....( just got back..)... .... and tonight is the ceremony on the battleship missouri.... (eating lunch first then going to that this evening).... .... but we will definitely go see killers of the flower moon... ... probably during the day next week - the cheaper and less crowded matinee... . but i have no plans to see the other movie..... it might have a good message... i don;t really know... but the music in the trailer reminded me of the same musical format in modern day disney cartoons.... and i despise modern day disney cartoons....

More like the Meh House.

My sister wanted to give me a gift card good for a few movies last Christmas. Earlier this fall she emailed me and apologized for never getting around to it.

I told her that was fine, because I couldn't think of any movies I had wanted to see. Next year, maybe.

More like the Meh House.

My sister wanted to give me a gift card good for a few movies last Christmas. Earlier this fall she emailed me and apologized for never getting around to it.

I told her that was fine, because I couldn't think of any movies I had wanted to see. Next year, maybe.
the theater we go to got renovated a few years ago and now has very comfortable relcyning seats with foot rests and plenty of room all around.... folding swing out tables... and no blocked views..... plus they serve all kinds of hot foot in addition to the usual popcorn and sodas..... it can be a pleasant experience even if the movie doesn;t live up to it;s hype..... ....but it is a little more expensive than the old movie theater was.... and all seats are assigned through reservations.......

but one thing has not changed... .. they still have the same opening trailer they have had since 1985... ..it;s considered vintage and classic now.... .. . we know 2 of the people who performed the hula in this trailer.. .. and they are fairly vintage and classic too now..... but super nice people..... good to know some things do not change....

More like the Meh House.

For the last several decades, we have avoided the movie house, except for when ALAYBOY was little and we would watch a few Disney movies on the big screen. I can count on my hands number of times, and mostly for the reason you stated…. meh. Don’t want to really waste my time and money with most of the mediocre and poorly made junk churned out. In this case, ALAYBOY was home from college, so we decided to do something out of the ordinary for us. The movie was just OK, and if the boy would not have been home, we would’ve just stayed in and watched something on TV and been no less satisfied, lol.