Okay, how about this verse?

Vince Massi

Elect
Reaction score
Okay, were you ever taught THIS verse?

Are you so foolish? Having begun in the Spirit, are you now being made perfect by the flesh? Gal. 3:3

I don't think that there was a hypocrisy problem here. I think they really did believe that man--made rules are both the cause and result of holiness. However, they are not.

Vince Massi said:

Are you so foolish? Having begun in the Spirit, are you now being made perfect by the flesh? Gal. 3:3

I don't think that there was a hypocrisy problem here. I think they really did believe that man--made rules are both the cause and result of holiness. However, they are not.

There is a fine line here -- holiness is a rule that God has made for His own, as is abstaining from worldliness.  The problem is when  preachers start trying to make a list of what is worldly, or what makes one holy.  One no longer relies on the Holy Spirit's guidance and leadership; it is transferred to the list that some man made up.

Vince Massi said:

Were you ever taught THIS verse?

If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.

Man-made rules for holiness are OK on the individual level but the error occurs when we insist those same rules apply to others.

Vince Massi said:

The entire theme of Galatians focuses upon the fact that Judaizers infiltrated the church that Paul planted and were trying to convince the saints that salvation by grace through faith alone was not enough.  They preached that you had to add circumcision and other Jewish customs and OT laws to salvation by grace through faith alone.  In Gal. 3:3, Paul was emphasizing that you can't add works to perfect what was already done by grace when a person gets saved.
This has nothing to do with what you are trying to prove Mr. Massi.

Smellin Coffee said:

If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.

Yes.

In Catholic school.

By a nun.

She said that Jesus didn't really mean it.

Vince Massi said:
Smellin Coffee said:

Yes.

In Catholic school.

By a nun.

She said that Jesus didn't really mean it.

:)