Old Paths Conference

BALAAM

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Okay, I must admit that curiosity has gotten the better of me here.

For the past several years Allen Domelle has put on and hosted an "old Paths conference" at Longview together with BG2. Every year there were glowing reports and pics, articles, etc. about how it went and how great it was. They had it this year over a month ago and there is nothing about it which is not like them. I noticed via social media the BG1 didn't attend even though he spoke last year. SG doesn't attend either and I find that kind of peculiar. If your brother/son was hosting a national conference it just seems they would make an effort to attend.
\
Old BG2 has been on a tear lately about his online college and how much it has cost him. He has been ripping up about young whippersnappers who won't listen to old timers. A lot about how old guys can still be used. Reheboams. Young guys rebuking elders yadda yadda yadda.

Does anyone know?

BALAAM said:

For the past several years Allen Domelle has put on and hosted an "old Paths conference" at Longview together with BG2. Every year there were glowing reports and pics, articles, etc. about how it went and how great it was. They had it this year over a month ago and there is nothing about it which is not like them. I noticed via social media the BG1 didn't attend even though he spoke last year. SG doesn't attend either and I find that kind of peculiar. If your brother/son was hosting a national conference it just seems they would make an effort to attend.
Old BG2 has been on a tear lately about his online college and how much it has cost him. He has been ripping up about young whippersnappers who won't listen to old timers. A lot about how old guys can still be used. Reheboams. Young guys rebuking elders yadda yadda yadda.
Does anyone know?
\
Just to be clear are you saying "Old BG2 has been on a tear lately" or BG1 " about about his online college and how much it has cost him?

Many of last generations "big name preachers" are not happy with the direction their son's have gone. Some have seen the next generation change greatly and other are just frustrated that they are no longer calling "ALL" the shots. It's hard to turn over control when you have been the "King of the Hill" for so long.

I suspect it was the same when J Frank Norris, John Rice, Lee Robinson, John Rawlings and others left the SBC. The SBC leaders were not happy when they could no longer tell these man what to do and what they could preach. In the end I'm sure it was best for both sides that they left. The SBC did just fine without them and these men went on to create a movement of their own with their "New" ideas on how to build and run a church.

sword said:
BALAAM said:

Does anyone know?
\
Just to be clear are you saying "Old BG2 has been on a tear lately" or BG1 " about about his online college and how much it has cost him?

Many of last generations "big name preachers" are not happy with the direction their son's have gone. Some have seen the next generation change greatly and other are just frustrated that they are no longer calling "ALL" the shots. It's hard to turn over control when you have been the "King of the Hill" for so long.

I suspect it was the same when J Frank Norris, John Rice, Lee Robinson, John Rawlings and others left the SBC. The SBC leaders were not happy when they could no longer tell these man what to do and what they could preach. In the end I'm sure it was best for both sides that they left. The SBC did just fine without them and these men went on to create a movement of their own with their "New" ideas on how to build and run a church.

Old Paths, just 1950s style.

The so called "Old Paths" were newfangled and modern in the 50s and those that were older especially in the SBC recognized that calling it wild fire.

We should be following God not men.

Man made movements tend to come and go but God's Word stays the same.

The young guys are following the LORD while trying to correct the grievous mistakes some of their fathers made.

To BonGray Sr. and Jr. Including Allen snd all others that hold to the "old paths" this is what they mean when they refer to "old paths":

No pants on women
Hymns
KJVO

These are the top 3, if you got this and preach on or against the opposite on a regular basis you my friend are old paths.

There not talking about preaching the rapture, once saved always saved, you know major doctrines, this doesn't constitute "old paths" unless you preach the top three on a regular basis.

Bruh said:
To BonGray Sr. and Jr. Including Allen snd all others that hold to the "old paths" this is what they mean when they refer to "old paths":

No pants on women
Hymns
KJVO

These are the top 3, if you got this and preach on or against the opposite on a regular basis you my friend are old paths.

There not talking about preaching the rapture, once saved always saved, you know major doctrines, this doesn't constitute "old paths" unless you preach the top three on a regular basis.

Has little to do with teaching the Bible and everything to do with teaching man made doctrines thinly valed as Bible doctrines.

Bruh said:

No pants on women
Hymns
KJVO

Oh, the important things. Got it. I shouldn't have been so traditional in my approach.

Baptist City Holdout said:
Bruh said:

No pants on women
Hymns
KJVO

Oh, the important things. Got it. I shouldn't have been so traditional in my approach.

It's ok, as long as you conform on the outside your good to go. They would much rather conform on the outside then to ask sincere questions for which they do not have a bible answer for.......

bgwilkinson said:
Bruh said:

No pants on women
Hymns
KJVO

Has little to do with teaching the Bible and everything to do with teaching man made doctrines thinly valed as Bible doctrines.

BG you've been around a long time, you already know what's going on.

Bruh said:
bgwilkinson said:
Bruh said:
No pants on women
Hymns
KJVO

sword said:
Bruh said:
bgwilkinson said:
Bruh said:
No pants on women
Hymns
KJVO

BG

How vocal are you around FBCH about your views on such matters?
I't seems you don't fit in that well. Why do you stay and what do others think about your views?
Have you discussed them with JW, did you every discuss them with JS or RY or EL and their likes?

bgwilkinson said:
sword said:
BALAAM said:

Does anyone know?
\

The so called "Old Paths" were newfangled and modern in the 50s and those that were older especially in the SBC recognized that calling it wild fire.

The young guys are following the LORD while trying to correct the grievous mistakes some of their fathers made.

I don't see that in most of the young guys. Sorry, but I don't.
Instead, I see and hear basically the same things i've heard my father tell of the young men of his day who said much the same things. Those young men of dad's day are either old as he is now  or are passed on. Would you believe  most of those  who said the same things back in his day died or are living today no longer quite sure God's Word is even true? 

I have been a part of three different types of Baptist circles, and the younger have risen up in all three stating those  similatr things and most have gone the  same  way as those young men of Dad's day.

Let's wait and see how these young turn out, and remember the old were once young too. I pray the young will stay true.

And let me praise the Lord and be thankful to Him for a Father who stayed true to the foundations of God's Book when he was but one of very few who did. He lost many so-called frirnds along the way.  He followed the Lord, not what the young men said.

(BTW, I am far from being a fan of any names mentioned in recent above  posts, nor am I defending them. )

patriotic said:
bgwilkinson said:
sword said:
BALAAM said:

Does anyone know?
\

I don't see that in most of the young guys. Sorry, but I don't.
Instead, I see and hear basically the same things i've heard my father tell of the young men of his day who said much the same things. Those young men of dad's day are either old as he is now  or are passed on. Would you believe  most of those  who said the same things back in his day died or are living today no longer quite sure God's Word is even true? 

I have been a part of three different types of Baptist circles, and the younger have risen up in all three stating those  similatr things and most have gone the  same  way as those young men of Dad's day.

Let's wait and see how these young turn out, and remember the old were once young too. I pray the young will stay true.

And let me praise the Lord and be thankful to Him for a Father who stayed true to the foundations of God's Book when he was but one of very few who did. He lost many so-called frirnds along the way.  He followed the Lord, not what the young men said.

(BTW, I am far from being a fan of any names mentioned in recent above  posts, nor am I defending them. )

What do you see, as for the young guys?

BALAAM said:

Old BG1 has been on a tear lately about his online college and how much it has cost him. He has been ripping up about young whippersnappers who won't listen to old timers. A lot about how old guys can still be used. Reheboams. Young guys rebuking elders yadda yadda yadda.

Does anyone know?

I think you had a typo about -- where I have red; I think you meant BG1, not BG2; I assumed it was so and made it BG1.

Anything we would say would be speculation, but since that doesn't ever stop anyone...

It wouldn't surprise me if BG2 is a bit biffed at his father these days.  BG1 may feel that his son is not listening to him any more. Let's look at facts of what has happened:

- BG2 has stopped holding the Soul-Winning Conferences

- BG2 has renamed the college

- BG2 has changed the service times (this would be a minor issue of church liberty, except that BG1 made such a big deal about it).

- BG1 has started an on-line college.

- BG1 came off rather badly in a blog war with Jeri Massi

Theorizing:
BG2 wants to show that he is not just his daddy's puppet, thus the changes.

BG2 picked up Alan Domelle's ministry ("Old Paths") after Jeff Owens abruptly resigned his church in WV.  At the time, I don't think there was much a rift between BG1 and BG2; my impression is that AD is closer to BG1.

I think it is common for pastors to go out on the preaching / lecture circuit when they retire; in my opinion, they discover it's not as great as they imagine it after the first year or two.  When you're no longer the authority, you can't "make" people do what you say, and you just don't have that "I'm in charge" feeling you get when people do what you say and come to you for advice.  By starting the online college, BG1 may get some of this back.

However, by opening the college, BG1 is now going to be promoting "his" college, and BG2's work to get the college on its feet again is going to be all the harder, so I can imagine that BG2 isn't happy about what BG1 is doing.

So, yes, I can believe that there is a bit of a rift between BG1 and BG2 at the moment.

Remember, all of this is speculation based upon observation.

I don't see the online college pulling many prospective students from West Coast, Golden State, HAC, or Crown. I think the target student for the online school will be laymen, part time staff who have full time secular jobs and long time pastors who want a paper to hang on the wall or even some bible training. Texas Independent Baptist Seminary never had too many students and Bob the First can't be helping much.

Those going into full time ministry are far more likely to go to one of the schools mentioned above not Web U.

If the right person was teaching the right online class I would consider taking it. Not likely to happen though.

sword said:
I don't see the online college pulling many prospective students from West Coast, Golden State, HAC, or Crown. I think the target student for the online school will be laymen, part time staff who have full time secular jobs and long time pastors who want a paper to hang on the wall or even some bible training. Texas Independent Baptist Seminary never had too many students and Bob the First can't be helping much.

Those going into full time ministry are far more likely to go to one of the schools mentioned above not Web U.

If the right person was teaching the right online class I would consider taking it. Not likely to happen though.

:) definitely not pulling from West Coast, completely, total opposite mentality.