On another note:

B

Bob

Why in Exodus 8:3 does the Lord send frogs into their kneading troughs and ovens?

Because it was a plague of frogs, not merely a nuisance of frogs.  There was nowhere that the Egyptians were going to be free of them - they were even going to get into their cooking utensils.

Incidentally, the plague of frogs was intended as an insult to the Egyptian goddess of fertility, Heqet, who was represented by a frog.

This wouldn't have mattered as much to the Egyptians but would have to the Israelites, but frogs were also considered unclean so it would have made the ovens and kneading troughs, and all food that came from them unclean.

While it doesn't specifically say so for this plague, as it does for most of the others, it is probably safe to infer that the frogs didn't affect the Israelites.

It's like God is saying to the Egyptians, "So, you want to worship frogs, do you? Here, let me make it more convenient for you."

Ransom said:
While it doesn't specifically say so for this plague, as it does for most of the others, it is probably safe to infer that the frogs didn't affect the Israelites.

Yeah, I didn't mean to infer that, just that the frogs in the oven would have had even more significance that say, locusts in the over, to the Isrealites at the time and to their descendants reading about it.

It's like God is saying to the Egyptians, "So, you want to worship frogs, do you? Here, let me make it more convenient for you."

I like that. Can I use it as further argument for trying to convince people that snark can be a spiritual gift?
j/k

Ransom said:
Because it was a plague of frogs, not merely a nuisance of frogs.  There was nowhere that the Egyptians were going to be free of them - they were even going to get into their cooking utensils.

Incidentally, the plague of frogs was intended as an insult to the Egyptian goddess of fertility, Heqet, who was represented by a frog.

I was wondering maybe if it had something to do with some Egyptian deity.

Raine said:

Yeah, I didn't mean to infer that, just that the frogs in the oven would have had even more significance that say, locusts in the over, to the Isrealites at the time and to their descendants reading about it.

Yeah, maybe there was a gross-out factor there.  But its primary purpose was twofold: to mock the Egyptian gods, and to demonstrate to Egyptian and Israelite both that Yahweh, not Heqat or any other false god, was in control of nature.

Bob said:

I was wondering maybe if it had something to do with some Egyptian deity.

As far as I know, all the plagues were aimed at discrediting some or all of the Egyptian pantheon, although I couldn't come up with a list off the top of my head.