Once again...

Mitex

Elect
Reaction score
"When Americans reach for their Bibles, more than half of them pick up a King James Version (KJV), according to a new study advised by respected historian Mark Noll.

The 55 percent who read the KJV easily outnumber the 19 percent who read the New International Version (NIV). And the percentages drop into the single digits for competitors such as the New Revised Standard Version, New America Bible, and the Living Bible..."
http://www.christianitytoday.com/gleanings/2014/march/most-popular-and-fastest-growing-bible-translation-niv-kjv.html

Aw, c'mon, Brent's just trying to strike up a little (gently contentious) conversation!

"Nine in 10 Americans who read the Bible on their own consider Scripture to contain the literal word of God or the 'inspired Word of God."

"The top two reasons respondents said they read Scripture were for personal prayer and devotion and to learn more about their religion — with at least six in 10 citing each factor. The third most popular reason was to seek guidance in personal decisions and relationships with spouses, parents, children and friends.

The least likely reason, among the eight choices offered, was to learn about abortion and homosexuality;"

Actually, I don't find such results at all surprising; as though people who read their Bibles would be doing so primarily in order to evaluate current cultural mores!

It is my experience that everyone who seriously reads the Bible on a regular or consistent basis does so for personal devotional reasons.

Of course, in regard to all those reputed "KJV readers", it would be interesting to know what percentage of them used and compared other Bible versions with their KJVs vs. those whose Bible reading was solely of the KJV.

In other words, the question is whether KJV-only use is so widespread among believers?

Mitex said:
"When Americans reach for their Bibles, more than half of them pick up a King James Version (KJV), according to a new study advised by respected historian Mark Noll.

At another forum, it was pointed out that those who read the NKJV were counted with those who read the KJV, making it an inaccurate count of those who only read the KJV.

"On behalf of ABS, Barna Group found that 52 percent of Americans read the King James or the New King James Version"

Certainly one reason that the percentage is so high is because of it's availability.  It's a public domain text that reproduced all the time at high profit rates which is why it is still being printed so much.  I'd guess that most Christians would have a copy or two of the King James Bible somewhere in their house.  I read it myself for devotional study or sometimes to teach from, but it's never because I think it's the better one or the most effective language when ministering with 20-somethings.  It's because I can't find any of my other versions at the moment.