One in Hope and Doctrine

Boomer

Elect
Reaction score
I recently read a book called "One in Hope and Doctrine" by Kevin Bauder. It surveys the history of Baptist Fundamentalism in the fist 50 years of the 20th century with a focus on the Northern Baptist Convention and the GARBC movement. Since I grew up in the Sword/Hyles wing of the IFB, I found this book to be fascinating. It was published in 2014 by Regular Baptist Press.

Have any of you read it?

Boomer said:
I recently read a book called "One in Hope and Doctrine" by Kevin Bauder. It surveys the history of Baptist Fundamentalism in the fist 50 years of the 20th century with a focus on the Northern Baptist Convention and the GARBC movement. Since I grew up in the Sword/Hyles wing of the IFB, I found this book to be fascinating. It was published in 2014 by Regular Baptist Press.

Have any of you read it?

Yes I just finished it. Has a lot of interesting details that I experienced firsthand as a young person.

My family attended FBC and Fourth in Minniapolis. Mom and dad went to Northweastern, dad later went to Central. We helped start several churches in the 50s. I attended Pilsbury early 60s.

Great read waiting expectantly for the last half of the century to be written and published.

bgwilkinson said:
Boomer said:

Have any of you read it?

Yes I just finished it. Has a lot of interesting details that I experienced firsthand as a young person.

My family attended FBC and Fourth in Minniapolis. Mom and dad went to Northweastern, dad later went to Central. We helped start several churches in the 50s. I attended Pilsbury early 60s.

Great read waiting expectantly for the last half of the century to be written and published.

I had the opportunity to meet the author (Bauder) last week at the GARBC national conference. Didn't get to talk to him too long, but he said he is working on the sequel. I can't wait to read it.

I'm considering Central's master's program (among other seminaries). Do you know anything about it?

Boomer said:
bgwilkinson said:
Boomer said:

Have any of you read it?

I had the opportunity to meet the author (Bauder) last week at the GARBC national conference. Didn't get to talk to him too long, but he said he is working on the sequel. I can't wait to read it.

I'm considering Central's master's program (among other seminaries). Do you know anything about it?

My dad went there in the 50s right after it came over from Northwestern during the Billy Graham kerfluffle.

Good solid Independant Baptist School with high intellectual standards. An earned Doc from there would not be a phony Doc.

Maybe I am a bit biased as my heratige as a Baptist came through there.

They are not KJVO nuts either.

bgwilkinson said:
Boomer said:
bgwilkinson said:
Boomer said:

Have any of you read it?

My dad went there in the 50s right after it came over from Northwestern during the Billy Graham kerfluffle.

Good solid Independant Baptist School with high intellectual standards. An earned Doc from there would not be a phony Doc.

Maybe I am a bit biased as my heratige as a Baptist came through there.

They are not KJVO nuts either.

They have almost sold me on the fact that their seminary is entirely "off-line." I would have to take module classes four weeks out of the year on site. I still believe live interaction is the best way to get an education, but I'm still weighing my options at this point. I live in Illinois, so the logistical part of this decision is heavy.

I can't see myself going all the way to the THM or PHD level. I'm going to start with the MA and see what happens after that (maybe M-DIV sometime in the next 20 years???). I'm also considering Faith (in Ankeny, IA), Maranatha, and Summit University (BBC).

Faith is also a good school.

I went there the first couple of years they were there after they moved OBBC  from Omaha and became FBBC.

Good solid school, but I am still a little partial to Central.

Boomer said:

Have any of you read it?

Yes. I thought it was good, but not great. On the negative side it had a tendency to repeat itself. I think that was caused by the two author structure. And it was so harsh on Frank Norris that it came across as biased, though that stuff was eye opening to me. On the positive side, it was well researched and cited. It was thorough without being academically dry. I found it very helpful. I'm looking forward to part two.

I will look for book . I was led to the Lord in a GARB church - I was later told that GARB stood for grand army of rebellious Baptist  - ouchy

Saved by Grace said:
I will look for book . I was led to the Lord in a GARB church - I was later told that GARB stood for grand army of rebellious Baptist  - ouchy

I went to school with Kevin, I can vouch for his integrity and research acumen.

He was always a detail guy and this book is no exception, so I am biased in my view.

I dare say GARB is more doctrinally sound than the IFBx movement as they are extremely weak on theology.

It is one of those things that has caused the movement to falter and decline.

My pastor during the last 40 years of the 20th century was dead set against the study of theology and it has caused our church to waver and flounder.

We were tie to man's philosophy more than the proper teaching and interpretation of God's word.

For many years one of our pastors would regularly say after the Scripture was read, "close your Bibles and look right at me".

He is loosely quoted at the top of the site at times.

At that point there was no need for a Bible as the sermon could not be found in the Bible and the Bible tended to contradict the sermon.