Paid Staff

B

Bro Blue

Looking for some opinions on just how necessary some paid staff positions are.

Asst. Pastor
Music Director
Youth Pastor
Piano player

I realize that any independent church can vote in anything they want to, but surely there people that are already in the congregation with these talents that perhaps wouldn't be a financial burden to the church.

I'd say how necessary those are depends mostly on the size of the church. A big one will likely require more time commitment from those people than volunteers are generally able to give.

Scenario-A church running 700-900, three services a week, maybe 18 songs weekly. Staff him or no?

Bro Blue said:
Scenario-A church running 700-900, three services a week, maybe 18 songs weekly. Staff him or no?

Yes, one that big would IMO need the paid staff. In my church, the piano player is replaced by a worship arts pastor, who mainly leads the praise and worship band. Yes, with electric guitars and drums, etc. 

Bro Blue said:

Asst. Pastor
Music Director
Youth Pastor
Piano player

I realize that any independent church can vote in anything they want to, but surely there people that are already in the congregation with these talents that perhaps wouldn't be a financial burden to the church.

As the music director, it would make me blissfully happy if the Methodists decided that was a necessary PAID staff position...

Bro Blue said:

Asst. Pastor
Music Director
Youth Pastor
Piano player

It really depends on the size of the church and what level of Training you want in people who fill those roles.

In a larger church, it takes more planning, practicing, coordinating to do music ministry. You need a full time person.  They do far more than stand up there and lead worship in a couple services a week.  Piano player? Even in larger churches, I don't know that it is a full time position. But if you want someone to give a lof of their time to it, and they are trained and qualified, you will have better quality if you pay them what they are worth. I am not saying pay every person who plays an instrument. Just that there may be times when it is wise to have someone who dedicates more time to it and is well trained.

Surely in a large church there could be several people people gifted enough to lead music. What about everyone being able to use their gift for the edifying of the church?

Bro Blue said:

Asst. Pastor
Music Director
Youth Pastor
Piano player

The piano player should make the most. And that is my un-biased opinion!  ;D

Bro Blue said:
Surely in a large church there could be several people people gifted enough to lead music. What about everyone being able to use their gift for the edifying of the church?

Read my post again, please.

"Leading" music versus  planning, coordinating and leading is much more than that. It is a time issue, and should not every person who must make their service to the Lord a full time job get paid?

Along the same vein, I could play the devil's advocate and say that there must surely be people with the gift of preaching who could use their gift for the edifying of the church.  Do you see my point?

Bob L said:
Bro Blue said:

Asst. Pastor
Music Director
Youth Pastor
Piano player

The piano player should make the most. And that is my un-biased opinion!  ;D

And what about the Organ player?
8)

My "title" is Assistant Pastor. 

My duties:
* Music Pastor
* Choir & Orchestra Director
* Media Director (television, sound & lights ministry, website, etc)
* Director of Christian Education (40 classes)
* New Converts Sunday School Class Teacher
* Visitation Director
* "other duties as assigned"  :)

As to other gifted volunteers, there are dozens of highly committed participants in these ministries, and over 100 teachers and class room assistants in the teaching ministry.

We also have a "full-time" Youth Pastor (who also has a similar list of ministry responsibilities), as well as a Pastor to the Deaf (who too has a broad list of ministry responsibilities). 

Our senior pastor carries an even heavier load in the care of the ministry.

We also have an intern who recently completed Bible College who is working 40+ hours in the ministry.

Our six deacons each oversee specific ministries in our church, as well.

If all I did was plan and oversee our music program, it would be a job.  But this is far more than just a job, it is ministry.

There are some church duties that you just cannot put a price on.

chili.jpg

One thing that kind of bothers me is that business is a big part of a lot of churches. Things can get so complicated. There is simplicity in Christ. It is what it is. I think finances, and this includes paying multiple staff, is a big stumbling block for churches. How many preacher boys are waiting for their golden opportunity to have a salaried position at some church? Like having to work a secular job is beneath them.