Pastor's School 1996 Professionally Filmed?

TommyBoy

Registered
Reaction score
From watching this Al Lacy sermon from the 1996 Pator's School, it looks like it was filmed professionally as there are multiple camera angles and what auditorium/stage is he speaking from? Also check out Jack Hyles wearing sunglasses at the end 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTQSQ9-wN74

16KJV11

Doctor
Reaction score
TommyBoy said:
From watching this Al Lacy sermon from the 1996 Pator's School, it looks like it was filmed professionally as there are multiple camera angles and what auditorium/stage is he speaking from? Also check out Jack Hyles wearing sunglasses at the end 8)

Wow, I might have been there, not sure...  I was pastoring in Iowa at the time at the Landmark Baptist Church that I started in 1995.
It's amazing how far technology has come from that day!

bgwilkinson

Doctor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, but distributed on horrible VHS.

The building is the Genesis Convention Center, Gary, Indiana.
180x300 smaller than new FBCH auditorium which is 224x320.

TommyBoy

Registered
Reaction score
So how often did Hyles run Pastor's school in other venues like the one in Gary,IN?

Was this VHS a commercial release with official box sleeve or was it just only sold through FBCH?

For 1996 it looks like 1976 production values and ya gotta dig Hyles in sunglasses that he wore in the 90's.

Will FBCH bring back Pastor's School or is the bloom of the rose by now with all of the splits in Fundamentalism and everyone picking sides (FBC-Hyles/PCC/Bob Jones/Liberty).

GeneFrenkle

Registered
Reaction score
That would be about the same time as the famous Kiss concert at the Hammond Civic Center, no?

Were any of you at the protests?

Baptist City Holdout

Doctor
Registered
Reaction score
PS was already canned before the fall that took place in July 2012. Word was out in 2011 that there would be changes. It has been replaced with a fall Homecoming Conference.

WESLEY

Registered
Reaction score
16KJV11 said:
TommyBoy said:

Wow, I might have been there, not sure...  I was pastoring in Iowa at the time at the Landmark Baptist Church that I started in 1995.
If you listen to this at 1:16, you can hear Dr Hyles blast those who send their "darlings to Pensacola..."  at around 1:17:24, you can hear Ray Young Amening.... I wonder if he still agrees with that, with John Tutton being @ PCC :)

TommyBoy

Registered
Reaction score
WESLEY said:
16KJV11 said:
TommyBoy said:

Dr. Hyles wasn't shy about his true feelings towards PCC.  I believe he also wasn't fond of Bob Jones either claiming both PCC and BJU were "liberal" for having plays/art festivals etc. Also there's a video on YouTube of Tony Hutson slamming BJU for having plays etc.

So KISS was in concert the same night as Pastor's School 1996? I remember seeing on the Stuff Fundies Like page that back in the 1970's Hyles & his men tried to stop a Doobie Brothers concert in Chicago ( I doubt that that happened).

Also I remember someone posting that Larry Brown tried to protest at a Carmen concert and bragged about it ( I could see this as Brown followed Hyles stance on CCM)

Was 1996 the only Pastor's School to be filmed professionally and the only year it wasn't filmed at HAC/FBC?

If you listen to this at 1:16, you can hear Dr Hyles blast those who send their "darlings to Pensacola..."  at around 1:17:24, you can hear Ray Young Amening.... I wonder if he still agrees with that, with John Tutton being @ PCC :)

TidesofTruth

Registered
Reaction score
Baptist City Holdout said:
PS was already canned before the fall that took place in July 2012. Word was out in 2011 that there would be changes. It has been replaced with a fall Homecoming Conference.
No its not.

The Homecoming conference was not intended to replace pastor school nor did it have many of the things that pastor school was originally intended to do.

There is another meeting that better embraces the spirit of the original pastor school.

https://member.fbchammond.com/default.aspx?page=3690

Teri in NC

Registered
Reaction score
TommyBoy said:

At the end, when JH says "homeses", it make me think of Joe Combs.  Ick.

TommyBoy

Registered
Reaction score
Teri in NC said:
TommyBoy said:

At the end, when JH says "homeses", it make me think of Joe Combs.  Ick.

Yes Hyles didn't like Maranatha College either. He also wans't fond of Pensacola or Greg Mutsch but that's another story.

Jack didn't want the flock to keep up with pop culture but he did like to wear those stylin' sunglasses.

TidesofTruth

Registered
Reaction score
I am quite certain that the OP is a Sock Puppet of AlvinMartinezVoice  given his inane and incorrect observations stated repeatedly.

FTR Brother Hyles did not wear sun glasses in the pulpit.  And the you could not tell that from observing the video because time had degraded it.

Mountain View

Registered
Reaction score
ha! I was there that year, I was a senior in HS and  was staying at the dorms during PS to get a feel for what college life would be like when I started there in the fall... Boy if I could have a do over...  ::) My church was there as well but staying at a hotel. I remember getting lost in Gary (by myself at night) after it was over tying to find my way back to the college. Ah the days before GPS...

Baptist City Holdout

Doctor
Registered
Reaction score
TidesofTruth said:
Baptist City Holdout said:
No its not.

The Homecoming conference was not intended to replace pastor school nor did it have many of the things that pastor school was originally intended to do.

There is another meeting that better embraces the spirit of the original pastor school.

https://member.fbchammond.com/default.aspx?page=3690
Ah, Thank you for separating the two.

Binaca Chugger

Doctor
Registered
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, it was recorded with the latest 8mm cameras (would that have been hi-fi?).  There were several cameras.  Most of them were hooked up to a small tv so the volunteer could better see what he was recording.  This was the days before flip out viewers.  Radios were used to tell camera men what to do with the camera and it was mixed live.  Cutting edge for a group of volunteers at the time. 

TonyHutsonComedian

Registered
Reaction score
If you listen to this at 1:16, you can hear Dr Hyles blast those who send their "darlings to Pensacola..." at around 1:17:24, you can hear Ray Young Amening.... I wonder if he still agrees with that, with John Tutton being @ PCC :)

Didn't most of Hyles' crew bash PCC as "Sissies"? Tony Hutson isn't fond of them or BJU for wanting to have "plays" etc.

I enjoyed Al Lacey's sermon BTW.