Phil Sallie

Still There

Elect
Reaction score
Phil Sallie assed away last week due to Covid. He and his wife Donna lived in Jacksonville, FL. please pray for the family during this time. I’m sure he helped many men with jobs while at HAC.

He helped many people, students ect, will be missed

This thread reminds me of when JH used to have all the people stand up who Sallie had helped get a job. They stood.

I always hoped he'd say, "Now, how about all the people he turned away after promising help to get them there?" I'm sure many more would stand. But alas, he never did and we were never heard.

Never respected him. At all.

This thread reminds me of when JH used to have all the people stand up who Sallie had helped get a job. They stood.

I always hoped he'd say, "Now, how about all the people he turned away after promising help to get them there?" I'm sure many more would stand. But alas, he never did and we were never heard.

Well, Amen, just let it all out.

Gene:
Your the first person I've ever heard was looking for Bro. Sallie's help who were turned down. There may be thousands of people like you, your just the first who shared their story with me.
I've heard many students say they did not care for the job he got them, but never that he refused to help them..
Did you end up finding a job on your own like many of us did or did you just go hungry. I've found if your willing to show up for work; everyday, on time, and you do what is expected of you, there are plenty of jobs out there.

Gene:
Your the first person I've ever heard was looking for Bro. Sallie's help who were turned down. There may be thousands of people like you, your just the first who shared their story with me.
I've heard many students say they did not care for the job he got them, but never that he refused to help them..
Did you end up finding a job on your own like many of us did or did you just go hungry. I've found if your willing to show up for work; everyday, on time, and you do what is expected of you, there are plenty of jobs out there.
He helped me get a job at UPS in Orland Park, IL, but I ended up quitting after a month b/c I was making something like $120 gross a week, spent 8 hours a day in traveling & hanging out waiting for the two supervisors I carpooled with. The job was killing my back and not paying my bill so I quit. Bro. Sallie wouldn't help me after that and I don't blame him, but that didn't matter, got my own jobs after that and still graduated in 3.5 years.

Gene:
Really? No, I knew of a bunch of people he did this to. Maybe we congregated or were somehow drawn to each other??

Yes, I ended up finding a job. I went there married and trusted him when he said that when I got there he'd have a job for me and an apartment lined up. Yes, looking back I should never have trusted a man that much for something that was my responsibility. I was 22...young!! And coming from the IFB world implied to trust guys like him. So I blame myself and not him, but still hold no respect for him.

He talked to me for a couple minutes and basically told me to look at the classifieds.

There were a couple of families that were willing to take us in until we found a job and apartment. Eventually graduated. Still in the ministry 17 or so years later. :)

PS had a gig lined up with a few employers that hired MANY HACkers. Not sure if PS got a kickback from them or not. I know he worked like a temp agency, promising employers dozens to hundreds of loyal employees who would work hard and be reprimanded if they failed the boss in any way. Most such agencies do get paid from the employers or get a bonus for each good employee they send to a company. This is just a guess, but I would guess that he did get paid by these employers. He didn't have any special connection or ability, he had three words for you "U-P-S." Shipping companies and call centers. That was really all he had. He didn't care about your skill set and didn't have connections all over town. Just three words: "U-P-S."

The housing he helped provide was in run down apartments that gave kickbacks to him for finding good renters. The houses he helped people find was rental units that he managed, normally for church members. He received payment from all of these people for managing their rental units and keeping renters in them and acted like he was a sincere saint that was serving in ministry through his so many great connections. Basically, he was being paid by the college and by the landlords. If he didn't like you for some reason, or if you fell out of favor with any of his landlords, you were dead to him and could expect no more referrals.

If PS didn't like you, he wouldn't give you a referral to one of his special employers. He judged this based on your appearance and demeanor. Those he didn't like were called "slick." If you were "slick," you could count on never receiving a reference from him and never getting help placed at a job. That was just his way. If you turned down what he offered or complained or the employer complained about you, you were dead to him. If your personality didn't gel with him or you didn't fit the HACker mold, you were dead to him. This is just the way he was. He meandered through the college halls with an arrogant air and a demeaning sideways drawl that said he was better than you and you better know it. I don't know of any ministry involvement he ever had. I don't know of any classes that he taught. I do know that his wife wanted to know something most every week during question and answer time, that she never really wanted to know.