Praise Band... the end of a transformation?

FSSL

Staff member
Administrator
Doctor
Reaction score
Music is one of those subjects over which IFBXrs have real difficulty yet no consensus.

Pensacola has been criticized for their praise music...
Maranatha criticized the gospel music found at Hyles...
BJU criticized Patch the Pirate...

When music is discussed, you can count on getting criticized as giving up the final fundamental for being considered fundamental.

Northland has now formed a praise band. As you can expect, they are taking "heat" for it EVEN though music like this exists in many IFB churches!

I have ZERO qualms or issues with this. I think it is great to see our colleges move in this direction.

Redeemed Presents Pizza and Praise

I don't know about transformation, but we are admonished not to be conformed to this world. 

What is 'great' about this hedonistic pizza n praise?  The people won't come to God, so we bring Him down to earth?

Anishinabe

prophet said:
What is 'great' about this hedonistic pizza n praise?  The people won't come to God, so we bring Him down to earth?

Anishinabe

Yeah, giving away baby chick's, pickles, a drawing for prizes, or winning a trip from a spring or fall program are much more effective.

qwerty said:
prophet said:

Anishinabe

Yeah, giving away baby chick's, pickles, a drawing for prizes, or winning a trip from a spring or fall program are much more effective.
Same doo-doo, different campus.

Anishinabe

"not to be conformed to the world"... "hedonistic"

Interesting, but not surprising phrases to be used on a IBF forum regarding music. However, here is the "rub." This praise band is certainly not involved in anything other than worshiping God in lyrics and appearance. The setting is even appropriate. IFBs do not have a consistent application as to what "worldly" means and to attempt to apply it here just falls flat.

Since many are not happy about this, please tell us what college institution has the right music and why. Since it is clear (probably not, but for discussion, I will assume so) in the minds of IFBrs that there are objective reasons for other institutions' wrong music, who is doing it right and prove it biblically. As I noted above... nearly every IFB institution has a "beef" with another's music standards.

FSSL said:
"not to be conformed to the world"... "hedonistic"

Interesting, but not surprising phrases to be used on a IBF forum regarding music. However, here is the "rub." This praise band is certainly not involved in anything other than worshiping God in lyrics and appearance. The setting is even appropriate. IFBs do not have a consistent application as to what "worldly" means and to attempt to apply it here just falls flat.

Since many are not happy about this, please tell us what college institution has the right music and why. Since it is clear (probably not, but for discussion, I will assume so) in the minds of IFBrs that there are objective reasons for other institutions' wrong music, who is doing it right and prove it biblically. As I noted above... nearly every IFB institution has a "beef" with another's music standards.
'Interesting'

Anishinabe

I am appalled that they would partake in such a worldly passion.

PIZZA?!?!?  :eek:

Don't hey know pizza is Italian? The capital of Italy is Rome. Rome is the head of the roman catholic church. Catholics are worldly and eat PIZZA! How much clearer do I have to make it?

I never liked pizza until my parents took us to Italy on vacation.  We went to Lido de Pomposa and stayed in bungalows not far from the beach.  We used to go into town quite often to a restaurant with a brick pizza oven.  That's where I learned to love pizza.  To get to that restaurant, we had to walk by a fascist commune!  And while we were trying to enjoy the beach, Italian perverts bothered us by pinching our butts!

It's a wonder I ever came to Christ.