Prophecy is 'our' definition Biblical?

prophet

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
If "prophecy" only includes predicting the future,  why are we told:
1Co 14:39
39 Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.
?

I heard, recently, a Baptist preacher say that 'the prophet office' is gone,  with the apostolic office.  Is this true?  Was there once an office of prophet in the Church?

Thoughts?

Anishinaabe

I don't believe that "prophecy" is merely telling the future, but more correctly speaking the truth of God that is unknown to a people.  In the Old Testament the Prophet would share with the people the message God gave that they could not know except God speak it through a person (this did of necessity include the unknown future).  That being the case there is a difference between a pastor/teacher who mainly speaks to believers & and an evangelist whose message is the way to salvation, and the prophet, who takes the message of God that is completely unknown and shares it.  Of course the basis for that message is that it be biblical!  It is not a matter of being a fortune teller.  :)

T-Bone said:
I don't believe that "prophecy" is merely telling the future, but more correctly speaking the truth of God that is unknown to a people.  In the Old Testament the Prophet would share with the people the message God gave that they could not know except God speak it through a person (this did of necessity include the unknown future).  That being the case there is a difference between a pastor/teacher who mainly speaks to believers & and an evangelist whose message is the way to salvation, and the prophet, who takes the message of God that is completely unknown and shares it.  Of course the basis for that message is that it be biblical!  It is not a matter of being a fortune teller.  :)
This is very close to what I see, in the scriptures.

Anishinaabe