Question about I Peter 4:7

Bob H

Elect
Reaction score
"But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore of sound mind, and be sober unto prayer" {1901} ASV

"The end of all things is near. Therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray" NIV ( at least the NIV that I got and the one that NAC {Commentary} uses)

"But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer." KJV

I started a personal bible study beginning at I Pet 4:7 thru chap 5. Don't ask me why  :) Apparently it just caught my eye. Anyways, it's concerning the two verbs {imperatives} "sound mind" and "sober" or as the NIV states "clear minded" and "self-controlled'. (You guys can look up the Greek words & definitions if needed  :)) .... I hope I can get this question right.
                The two verbs, close in meaning, are connected by "and" (kia); There is a question to whether only the latter or both imperatives are to be taken with "unto prayer." The first {former} view is represented by the ASV, which by the use of the comma after the first verb keeps the two commands distinct (as seems the KJV does) where as the NIV prefers to join both verbs with "unto prayer". D. Edmund Hiebert, one of my favorite commentators believes/states """We prefer the former construction because it is more comprehensive: the readers were to maintain an inner disposition of balance and prudence as well as to maintain their prayer lives""...where as Thomas Schreiner {another one of my most  favoritist commentators  :)} in the NAC  states "' the two verbs "be clear minded" and "self-controlled" are virtually synonymous and should be understood together. Indeed the word "pray" is attached to both verbs"". I tend to go with the ASV and Hiebert. What thinkest thou?

Bob H said:
... What thinkest thou?

The KJV was good enough for the Apostle Paul, it's good enough for me.

;-)

Oh, and Harbaby is a whiner. :D :D :D