Recovering Fundamentalist Podcast's marketing campaign

That’s cute. Stay in your echo chamber. I can azure you as one of the host of the recovering fundamentalist podcast… that your take on our show is a bipolar opposite of what we actually are about! We want to help encourage those whose lives have been negatively affected by fundamentalist legalism in the church and we wanna challenge those who promote tradition over scripture. Recoveringfundamentalist.org
I've been in some "recovery" groups for those affected by fundamentalists. One I believe was started with the help of "Marine" (Tim Lee) back in the day of the old FFF. Being one that was damaged greatly under the tyrannical hypocrisy of the Pharisees who were rulers in the IFB movement, I was lucky to come out "sane." So glad that my "sentence" with them is over! Yet, I find that, for the most part, I was able to work through it on my own. I didn't need an "echo chamber" as you called it, though I believe that's EXACTLY what your podcast would be...a bunch of individuals too weak to do what the Bible says, and to forget what was behind and rebuild and look forward to the things of God in GRACE and power.

The popularity of the podcast went down significantly. I hardly hear about it anymore.
Even their church listing is no longer available and account has been suspended. https://rfsearch.church/cgi-sys/suspendedpage.cgi
Their recent episodes have nothing to do with "IFB" anymore. They do not have enough content because the IFB "movement" is no longer relevant as it was before.

Last edited:
The popularity of the podcast went down significantly. I hardly hear about it anymore.
Even their church listing is no longer available and account has been suspended. https://rfsearch.church/cgi-sys/suspendedpage.cgi
Their recent episodes have nothing to do with "IFB" anymore. They do not have enough content because the IFB "movement" is no longer relevant as it was before.

Hey. JC here. Host of the RFP. Fun Fact. The popularity of the podcast is more active now than ever! 45 to 50K downloads per episode. We are approaching 2.5 Million downloads. I know those numbers can be hard to comprehend. But, rest assured the RFP is not slowing down nor has it "gone away"

Yes, the church listing stopped working.. That was done by a listener on a trial bases. He didn't realize how much work is was going to be to keep it up I reckon. When we noticed it had stopped working we removed it off the website. Again. We had nothing to do with that other than have it on our website.
Episode 121 just came out today! Give it a listen.

Hey. JC here. Host of the RFP. Fun Fact. The popularity of the podcast is more active now than ever! 45 to 50K downloads per episode. We are approaching 2.5 Million downloads. I know those numbers can be hard to comprehend. But, rest assured the RFP is not slowing down nor has it "gone away"

Yes, the church listing stopped working.. That was done by a listener on a trial bases. He didn't realize how much work is was going to be to keep it up I reckon. When we noticed it had stopped working we removed it off the website. Again. We had nothing to do with that other than have it on our website.
WHYne? Er..why? ;)

Again, we appreciate you noticing and reacting to us…it gives us much needed affirmation. 😉

I followed the RFP on Facebook. One of my friends encouraged me to join. I appreciated the concept in helping people deal with their fundamentalist pasts, but it became clear, real soon, that they have a common interest (discussing fundamentalism's problems).

Like this forum, it is just a hodgepodge of beliefs... I'm not sure what it really offers.

Last edited:
In all transparency, I haven’t listened, nor do I really have a desire to. The name of the podcast alone gives me pause. I understand a kid who is raised in a legalistic church not having a choice in where they attend, but as adults, if you’re not happy and spiritually satisfied with your church experience, no one is holding a gun to your head, move on and find a place you and your family will be able to grow and be satisfied.

In all transparency, I haven’t listened, nor do I really have a desire to. The name of the podcast alone gives me pause. I understand a kid who is raised in a legalistic church not having a choice in where they attend, but as adults, if you’re not happy and spiritually satisfied with your church experience, no one is holding a gun to your head, move on and find a place you and your family will be able to grow and be satisfied.
For some, it's not that easy. Some churches pull you in until your daily life outside of your work revolves around church activities. Everyone you interact with on a regular basis is from the church. Leaving that is like taking on a completely new life - especially when you leave a church where everyone shuns you for leaving. No one comes asking about you. They just write you off as you never existed. That's a difficult situation even for an adult to just up and leave.

I've listened to the podcast. I would love for them to interview Cindy Hyles Collins

For some, it's not that easy. Some churches pull you in until your daily life outside of your work revolves around church activities. Everyone you interact with on a regular basis is from the church. Leaving that is like taking on a completely new life - especially when you leave a church where everyone shuns you for leaving. No one comes asking about you. They just write you off as you never existed. That's a difficult situation even for an adult to just up and leave.
I suppose you’re right, I guess I’ve just never really experienced a church like that, or if I was in one like that, I guess I’m just the type of person who doesn’t really get too close to people unless I really want to…or maybe they just didn’t want to suck me in to begin with?!? 😬

I suppose you’re right, I guess I’ve just never really experienced a church like that, or if I was in one like that, I guess I’m just the type of person who doesn’t really get too close to people unless I really want to…or maybe they just didn’t want to suck me in to begin with?!? 😬
Many of us grew up in these kinds of churches and still have, at times, problems with breaking away from that legalistic mindset. I guess one could call it "religious Stockholm Syndrome."

Many of us grew up in these kinds of churches and still have, at times, problems with breaking away from that legalistic mindset. I guess one could call it "religious Stockholm Syndrome."
I attend an IFB church with my family. As I’ve alluded to in the past, there are some oddities there among some of the staff and members, but I’ve always just embraced what I like and I just kind of ignore some of the other stuff. For example, most of the men wear a jacket and tie to services. As a rule of thumb, I only wear a jacket and tie for weddings and funerals (and the rare fancy dinner or business meeting that calls for such, which is maybe once a year). They don’t preach about men wearing a jacket/tie, but it’s obviously somehow part of the culture. I just ignore it and do my own thing.

I attend an IFB church with my family. As I’ve alluded to in the past, there are some oddities there among some of the staff and members, but I’ve always just embraced what I like and I just kind of ignore some of the other stuff. For example, most of the men wear a jacket and tie to services. As a rule of thumb, I only wear a jacket and tie for weddings and funerals (and the rare fancy dinner or business meeting that calls for such, which is maybe once a year). They don’t preach about men wearing a jacket/tie, but it’s obviously somehow part of the culture. I just ignore it and do my own thing.
If that’s the only problem you have, it seems you’re navigating it well. Many IFB churches in our area share that trait but it seems minor if that’s the only complaint.

If that’s the only problem you have, it seems you’re navigating it well. Many IFB churches in our area share that trait but it seems minor if that’s the only complaint.
Yes, and I wouldn’t even call it a “problem,” just an oddity. I’ve been mostly attending there for around six or seven years. I’ve sampled a couple other churches on occasion, but mainly always attended the IFB church. I can’t really think of anything else except maybe music. I do listen to a little country music sometimes and I know the staff probably don’t, but I don’t think they’ve ever preached against it, they just sometimes mention why they prefer to do the traditional music over the non-CCM music. Again, it doesn’t really bother me.

I think it was RF that interviewed Ken Schaap. He didn't throw IFB culture under the bus but sure didn't embrace it either.
I listened to the podcast and felt he had a very well balanced approach. He clearly was not bitter. He spoke well of his father and grandfather but he did not try to cover for them. Judging from what Ken said and the way he said it, I sensed a lot of grace in his speech.