Render unto Ceasar... what is Ceasar's

FSSL

Staff member
Administrator
Doctor
Reaction score
I am among those who know that masks are ineffective against the Corona virus. Unless you have a N95 or greater, mask... nothing will prevent or slow down the transmission of the virus. Even Fauci, WHO and CDC have waffled on the subject and their initial reactions were that masks were ineffective. Politics is winning the day.

Paul, the Apostle, lived in an era where his government was capricious and his government had very strict demands (comparison to the US). What was his approach?

Every soul is to be submissive to the governing authorities.1 For there is no authority except by God, and the existing authorities have been appointed by God. 2 So that the one who resists the authority is resisting the ordinance of God. And those who resist will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For the rulers are not a cause of fear to the good work but to the bad. Now do you want to avoid fear of the authority? Do good, and you will receive praise from him. 4 For he is God’s servant for you, for the good. But if you do what is bad, fear. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God’s servant, an avenger who brings wrath on the one who practices what is bad. 5 Therefore it is necessary to be submissive, not only because of wrath but also because of conscience. 6 For also, because of this, you are paying taxes....

This goes against the grain of my "American freedom." I have had to check myself on this topic. While we can debate whether the government has the right to require masks, that is not the level of our concern as Christians. Certainly, vote, take legal action that keeps government at bay. But, since we find ourselves under their rule... there is no equivocation by Paul that we are to "be submissive."

I believe this "mask" issue is just the beginning and our Christian attitudes will be challenged!

Of course, when the government comes into conflict with the Gospel... we are obligated to obey God rather than man.

I am among those who know that masks are ineffective against the Corona virus. Unless you have a N95 or greater, mask... nothing will prevent or slow down the transmission of the virus. Even Fauci, WHO and CDC have waffled on the subject and their initial reactions were that masks were ineffective. Politics is winning the day.

Paul, the Apostle, lived in an era where his government was capricious and his government had very strict demands (comparison to the US). What was his approach?

Every soul is to be submissive to the governing authorities.1 For there is no authority except by God, and the existing authorities have been appointed by God. 2 So that the one who resists the authority is resisting the ordinance of God. And those who resist will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For the rulers are not a cause of fear to the good work but to the bad. Now do you want to avoid fear of the authority? Do good, and you will receive praise from him. 4 For he is God’s servant for you, for the good. But if you do what is bad, fear. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God’s servant, an avenger who brings wrath on the one who practices what is bad. 5 Therefore it is necessary to be submissive, not only because of wrath but also because of conscience. 6 For also, because of this, you are paying taxes....

This goes against the grain of my "American freedom." I have had to check myself on this topic. While we can debate whether the government has the right to require masks, that is not the level of our concern as Christians. Certainly, vote, take legal action that keeps government at bay. But, since we find ourselves under their rule... there is no equivocation by Paul that we are to "be submissive."

I believe this "mask" issue is just the beginning and our Christian attitudes will be challenged!

Of course, when the government comes into conflict with the Gospel... we are obligated to obey God rather than man.
I agree whole-heartedly with you. We will be forced to "Obey God rather than man." I have friends in CA that are doing that just now. I am waiting to see the fallout from their stand.
And while we nit-pick at each others differences on this forum, the world will lump us all into one of two categories in the very near future: Believers and Non-believers.

I agree. I also see a side benefit. As long as the politicians and people believe these masks make the wearer bullet proof, things can be opened up with just the minor inconvenience of a mask. If the "experts" knew the masks were worthless they might be tempted to close things down much tighter.

The difference now is the severity of the penalty. You might get fined but not get shot ("he beareth not the sword in vain"). It's like a speeding ticket. Not wearing a mask like speeding is potentially harmful. It depends on the circumstances. However unlike laws against speeding wearing a mask isn't mandatory everywhere just recommended in certain situations.

Understood properly, the words of Paul are not a blanket approval for the actions of any and every earthly authority.

Notice the words.....

For he is God’s servant for you, for the good. But if you do what is bad, fear. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God’s servant, an avenger who brings wrath on the one who practices what is bad.

Paul is clearly referencing God's purpose to suppress lawlessness. Laws are meant to contain the lawless. To suppress evil. To keep it "in check" throughout history to bring about God's purpose. Which is why Paul used the argument earlier in Roman's to show that the Gentiles nation had laws they made them equal in guilt as did the Law of God to national Israel.

When a nation turns away from righteous laws establishing rightful guilt for the good, the words of Paul do not apply. Paul wasn't endorsing evil laws.

God sets up kingdoms and sets them down again. He does this all through people resisting evil authority to restore law to the lawless.

The way passive peoples apply the words of Paul, no government would ever change. They could do anything they wanted and no one should/would resist.

Last edited: