SBC and Homosexuality

AmazedbyGrace

Elect
Reaction score
"The statements from the largest and one of the most conservative Protestant denominations made waves in the religious and gay communities. Some praised the Southern Baptist Convention for softening its tone and message when discussing homosexuals. Critics complained that nothing really had changed.

But others who attended said a shift was taking place. In private meetings and one-on-one encounters during the week, Southern Baptists and gay-rights advocates said they established relationships they hope will carry both sides through a time of deep cultural change, particularly as the church navigates issues such as the increasing acceptance of same-sex marriage."

http://online.wsj.com/articles/southern-baptists-gay-community-break-bread-at-conference-1414691923

That is quite a liberal interpretation...the SBC has been clear on this matter and Mohler wrote a long piece on there being no third way.  That being said, a small group meeting with a small group on any issue...do not speak for the SBC!

Actually, I thought it sounded more balanced because it mentioned the opinions of both groups. Some see this as a step in another direction, while others say nothing has changed.

AmazedbyGrace said:
Actually, I thought it sounded more balanced because it mentioned the opinions of both groups. Some see this as a step in another direction, while others say nothing has changed.

I got that and I would certainly agree with the second interpretation...the headline itself in many reports is intentionally misleading ...as I stated this small group meeting is not the SBC. And even at the end of the article the pro group said that Mohler would not change his stand as the pro group would not change their stand.

"NASHVILLE, Tenn.—A gathering of Southern Baptists here opened this week with Albert Mohler, stalwart head of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, apologizing for “denying the reality of sexual orientation,” but saying orientation “can change.”'

(Just pointing out that Mohler was present at this meeting for those who did not read the story.)

I could not read the whole article, but the statement by Mohler in the opening paragraph is a shift towards pro homo.  Homosexuality is a sin, an abomination.  Giving that sin and its culture any credence is a mistake  I am shocked that Mohler would make such a statement and be involved with such a meeting,  no matter how small the group was.

Binaca Chugger said:
I could not read the whole article, but the statement by Mohler in the opening paragraph is a shift towards pro homo.

Then it is taken out of context, because anyone familiar with Mohler would instantly see that he is not shifting "pro homo."

Ransom said:
Binaca Chugger said:
I could not read the whole article, but the statement by Mohler in the opening paragraph is a shift towards pro homo.

Then it is taken out of context, because anyone familiar with Mohler would instantly see that he is not shifting "pro homo."

Yup...one must read the whole article....headlines and quote clips are not always what they seem!

T-Bone said:
Ransom said:
Binaca Chugger said:

Yup...one must read the whole article....headlines and quote clips are not always what they seem!

Or what one wishes them to be....

You mind filling us in, then?  Why would Mohler even be part of such a meeting?  What did he mean by this "Apologizing for denying the reality of sexual orientation?"

Binaca Chugger said:
You mind filling us in, then?  Why would Mohler even be part of such a meeting?  What did he mean by this "Apologizing for denying the reality of sexual orientation?"

I would meet with the devil to share the truth of the Scriptures...never to compromise but to clarify.  He was saying, I guess since I can't read his mind that he believed people were born with the inclination towards homosexuality...just like we are all born with the inclination towards our beseting sins.  Until he makes a statement otherwise , will refer you to his clear statement and stand about homosexuality being a sin.  I have already stated that at the end of the meeting the pro homosexual guy said it was clear Mohler was not going to change his mind.

I agree that Mohler has probably not changed his thinking at all.
Neither have I. I continue to have zero interest in being SBC.
ABC maybe, possibly.

T-Bone said:
Binaca Chugger said:

I would meet with the devil to share the truth of the Scriptures...never to compromise but to clarify.  He was saying, I guess since I can't read his mind that he believed people were born with the inclination towards homosexuality...just like we are all born with the inclination towards our beseting sins.  Until he makes a statement otherwise , will refer you to his clear statement and stand about homosexuality being a sin.  I have already stated that at the end of the meeting the pro homosexual guy said it was clear Mohler was not going to change his mind.
Thanks.

Binaca Chugger said:

As he himself explains:

Albert Mohler said:
As I explained in my address, I had previously denied the existence of sexual orientation. I, along with many other evangelicals, did so because we did not want to accept the sexual identity structure that so often goes with sexual orientation. I still reject that notion of sexual identity. But I repented of denying the existence of sexual orientation because denying it was deeply confusing to people struggling with same-sex attraction. Biblical Christians properly resist any suggestion that our will can be totally separated from sexual desire, but we really do understand that the will is not a sufficient explanation for a pattern of sexual attraction. Put simply, most people experiencing a same-sex attraction tell of discovering it within themselves at a very early age, certainly within early puberty. As they experience it, a sexual attraction or interest simply “happens,” and they come to know it.

Given the depth of the Bible’s teachings on sin and this fallen world, this should not surprise us. In some sense, each of us finds within ourselves a pattern of desires — sexual and otherwise — we did not ask for, but for which we are then and now fully responsible. When it comes to a same-sex attraction, the orientation is sinful because it is defined by an improper object — someone of the same sex. Of course, those of us whose sexual orientation is directed toward the opposite sex are also sinners, but the sexual orientation is not itself sinful.

With this in mind, the concept of sexual orientation looms as very important, because it helps to identify the effects of the Fall and the depth of sin. Each of us, regardless of our sexual orientation, has a sin orientation that is, at least in part, inexplicable to us (as the Apostle Paul relates concerning his own struggle in Romans chapter 7).

Et cetera.

Interestingly, the KY SBC just disasociated from 2 institutions this week, one because if their acceptance of homosexual union.  The SBC of KY just voted to strengthen their stand to protect their churches and pastors against civil suit for not performing a homosexual marriage.

It's reality that some believers struggle with same-sex attraction their entire lives and aren't miraculously changed to heterosexual after conversion to Christ or reparative therapy.  That is a reality that the church needs to accept if they are to reach homosexuals.  What that does NOT say is that same-sex relationships are okay.  If you claim to believe the Bible is the infallible word of God, you have to hold to his standard and that is one man, one woman, for one lifetime.  For someone who is same-sex attracted that may mean a lifetime of celibacy. 

QuestioningIFB said:
It's reality that some believers struggle with same-sex attraction their entire lives and aren't miraculously changed to heterosexual after conversion to Christ or reparative therapy.  That is a reality that the church needs to accept if they are to reach homosexuals.

I've found that to be very true.

What that does NOT say is that same-sex relationships are okay.

It doesn't say that, but I do.

If you claim to believe the Bible is the infallible word of God, you have to hold to his standard and that is one man, one woman, for one lifetime.  For someone who is same-sex attracted that may mean a lifetime of celibacy.

I don't claim to believe that. Reliable and authoritative, yes. Inerrant and infallible, no.

Within the gay Christian community (yes, there is one!), choosing celibacy for that reason is called "Side B". It seems to be a minority opinion, but it has its adherents.

QuestioningIFB said:
It's reality that some believers struggle with same-sex attraction their entire lives and aren't miraculously changed to heterosexual after conversion to Christ or reparative therapy.  That is a reality that the church needs to accept if they are to reach homosexuals.  What that does NOT say is that same-sex relationships are okay.  If you claim to believe the Bible is the infallible word of God, you have to hold to his standard and that is one man, one woman, for one lifetime.  For someone who is same-sex attracted that may mean a lifetime of celibacy.

I think of same sex attraction much like I do opposite sex attraction in unmarried people.  Yes, there is Matthew 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.  Yes, unmarried people should not lust after another.  But the repentance/prayer for deliverance/forgiveness of “heart lust” is different from the repentance/prayer for deliverance/forgiveness of the actual act of fornication/adultery. 

For example, I am a widowed woman.  I have determined that I will not marry again.  (Now, I realize that God could change my mind, but that’s an altogether different thread.)  But I know the joy of the marriage bed, so I have to conduct myself wisely.  I have chosen to not date or even cultivate a “friendship” with a man.  I choose this path so that I don’t put myself in a position of temptation.  Sure, there are certain men that I find attractive, but I don’t let my mind “go there”.  When I find my mind “going there”, I ask God to deliver me from those thoughts.  So far (for the past 6 years), He has done just that!  Now, it’s not my intention to present myself as any sort of shining example.  I’m simply equating the chosen celibacy of opposite-sex-attracted people with the chosen celibacy of same-sex-attracted people. 

My conclusion is this:  Questioning IFB, your conclusion is correct.  A lifetime of celibacy can be chosen, and it can be walked out, through the grace of our Savior...

...but it's not easy...or common...in the times we live in.

Izdaari speaks of "Side B" as it pertains to the gay Christian community.  I posit that the straight Christian community has its own "Side B"...and both are equally rare.

Sexual sin in rampant in the world today, Christian or not.