Seating capacity at FBC Hammond old and new

bgwilkinson

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
The old auditorium was seating around 4,500 by actual head count in 2003-2004. We had the ushers do head counts in each of their sections. This was a packed house, seats all the way to the back wall downstairs, mez loaded with seats and all TV only sections loaded. This was done for several Sundays to get what the real attendance was. Most of us knew for many years that the old auditorium could not hold 5,000 adults. Of course we have not had small children in our auditorium for many years during Bro. Hyles time.
5,000 children at 12"to 18" each would have been possible. If we were using the same math Bro. Hyles used the new building could seat 12,000 or more, it is over twice as big as the old one. In fact you could put three of the old buildings in the new one. Old building was aprox 100 x 200 new building is 320 x 220. Take a look for yourself if you like.

Here is an explanation of the seating in the new auditorium by the guy that sold us the seating.

By Ron Ogden on March 27, 2011 9:26 PM

Let me try to clear up the confusion about the seat capacity at First Baptist Hammond, and perhaps a few other projects. I am V.P. of sales for Series Seating and worked closely with Pastor Jack Schaap when we provided the custom pew seating there. Anyone who estimates the capacity at FBC Hammond at a specific number between 6350 and 7400 could "count" themselves correct. I will explain. These pews have 6350 self lifting seats that average about 21" in width. But since these are designed without arm dividers, the occcupants have the potential to sit closer, if they choose, and are able.

Here's how we get to the 7400. Architects are required to estimate seat capacity in continuous pews at 18" per person as a standard for figuring parking lot space reqiremnts. With 133,350 lin. inches of pew length at FBC Hammond,the capacity would translate to 7408 at 18". This semi-legitimate 18" standard is the reason many worhsip facilities assume a capacity much higher than the actual head count woud reveal on a filled-to-capacity Easter Sunday, yet it is a legitimate claim, But lets face it....you have to really like each other to set at 18" spacing. American diets say no way. So technically-7400...realistically- 6350 For what it is worth, this type of pew at Hammond, like theater seats, will achieve a capacity that is 20% higher than conventioal pews.

Ron Ogden

Well I hope this helps.

Interesting,. Makes me want to go count actual seats.

Bravo said:
Interesting,. Makes me want to go count actual seats.

Bravo, you have your assignment!  Please report back.