Semi-pelagianism discussion, and defence from a non-calvinist perspective

Again, I will preface the following citation by saying that I don’t know Greek rules, and therefore, don’t know if the following statement is a legitimate credible expression of Greek exegesis. But the basis for the disputation is the notion regarding faith, salvation, gifting and its antecedent is argued something like this….
The author unnecessarily says the "strict Calvinist" believes. Since there is no grammatical rule that supports his point in any Greek grammar, could his problem be related to ideology more than exegesis?

If salvation comes from your own natural faith, there would be cause for pride.
Who says it's TOTALLY natural...NOBODY. You've got some strange ideology, FSSL.And, NO there wouldn't necessarily be a cause for pride....That's YOUR interpretation given as evidence. Sorry, bud, no cigar.

So you do not recognize the difference between human faith and divinely given saving faith.

Im not interested in a cigar, but since you did bring up Bud! 💁‍♂️

Last edited:
So you do not recognize the difference between human faith and divinely given saving faith.

Im not interested in a cigar, but since you did bring up Bud! 💁‍♂️
Your ASSumptions are astounding. I recognize a prevaricator and one who assails the brethren who don't agree with his stance. Get thee behind us, Satan.

The author unnecessarily says the "strict Calvinist" believes. Since there is no grammatical rule that supports his point in any Greek grammar, could his problem be related to ideology more than exegesis?
Well, if it’s true that the basis/rule for the method of exegesis doesn’t exist then that is most undoubtedly true. What are you saying specifically is his interpretive error contrary to Greek grammar?

Well, if it’s true that the basis/rule for the method of exegesis doesn’t exist then that is most undoubtedly true. What are you saying specifically is his interpretive error against Greek grammar?
No Greek grammar supports it. Its a journal article written in 2006. I don't see the same thoughts in the more recent grammars. I don't see his article cited either. So, until that happens, I'm not trusting his conclusions.

Your ASSumptions are astounding. I recognize a prevaricator and one who assails the brethren who don't agree with his stance. Get thee behind us, Satan.
You just found a person on a forum that believes saving faith is God's gift. No amount of natural human faith contributes to salvation.

No Greek grammar supports it. Its a journal article written in 2006. I don't see the same thoughts in the more recent grammars. I don't see his article cited either. So, until that happens, I'm not trusting his conclusions.
When you say “ no Greek grammar supports it” what is “it” that is unsupported?

No Greek grammar cites his journal article. This would be groundbreaking if the pronoun toutos always refers to the verb. I could take the time to run a morphology search, but that would just be too much time... 'cause I am outta here for a few days! #DisneyLife

No Greek grammar cites his journal article. This would be groundbreaking if the pronoun toutos always refers to the verb. I could take the time to run a morphology search, but that would just be too much time... 'cause I am outta here for a few days! #DisneyLife
I ain’t really following your point about your lack of evidence for the connection of touto (“this”) and the Greek rules for grammar referents. I continue to see countless citations that demonstrate Greek rules of grammar that say “this” cannot refer to faith….Link

Harold W. Hoehner in the Bible Knowledge Commentarywrites that…

Much debate has centered around the demonstrative pronoun “this” (touto). Though some think it refers back to “grace” and others to “faith,” neither of these suggestions is really valid because the demonstrative pronoun is neuter whereas “grace” and “faith” are feminine. Also, to refer back to either of these words specifically seems to be redundant. Rather the neuter touto, as is common, refers to the preceding phrase or clause. (In Ep 1:15-note and Ep 3:1-note touto, “this,” refers back to the preceding section.) Thus it refers back to the concept of salvation (Eph 2:4, 5, 6, 7, 8a), whose basis is grace and means is faith. This salvation does not have its source in man (it is “not from yourselves”), but rather, its source is God’s grace for “it is the gift of God.” (Walvoord, J. F., Zuck, R. B., et al: The Bible Knowledge Commentary. 1985. Victor)
James Montgomery Boice writes…

In speaking on this text I have sometimes referred to the previous phrase in verse 8 (“and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God”) as referring to faith, teaching that even faith is God’s gift. This is probably not what Paul had in mind, because “faith” (pistis) is feminine, and “this” (touto) is neuter. The statements in verse 8 probably refer to the whole of the previous sentence, teaching that the salvation which is ours through faith is not of ourselves but rather is God’s gift. (Boice, J. M.: Ephesians: An Expositional Commentary)
The KJV Bible Commentary….

The grammatical gender of the word “that,” occurring in the expression that not of yourselves, is neuter; hence, “that” cannot refer to the preceding “grace” or “faith,” both of which are feminine nouns, nor can it refer to “are ye saved” which is a masculine participle. Instead the neuter “that” refers back and embraces the entire foregoing “grace, are ye saved,” and “faith.” This means that no part of salvation is “of yourselves” or due to what we do—the whole of salvation is the gift of God. (Dobson, E G, Charles Feinberg, E Hindson, Woodrow Kroll, H L. Wilmington: KJV Bible Commentary: Nelson)
William Hendricksen has an interesting comment regarding the respected Greek scholar A T Robertson noting that in Robertson's comment on this passage he states "“Grace is God’s part, faith ours.” He adds that since in the original the demonstrative “this” (and this not of yourselves) is neuter and does not correspond with the gender of the word “faith,” which is feminine, it does not refer to the latter “but to the act of being saved by grace conditioned on faith on our part.”… (Hendricksen refutes this teaching stating that) Without any hesitancy I answer, Robertson, to whom the entire world of New Testament scholarship is heavily indebted, does not express himself felicitously in this instance. This is true first because in a context in which the apostle places such tremendous stress on the fact that from start to finish man owes his salvation to God, to him alone, it would have been very strange, indeed, for him to say, “Grace is God’s part, faith ours.” True though it be that both the responsibility of believing and also its activity are ours, for God does not believe for us, nevertheless, in the present context (Eph 2:5-10) one rather expects emphasis on the fact that both in its initiation and in its continuation faith is entirely dependent on God, and so is our complete salvation. (Hendriksen, W., & Kistemaker, S. J. New Testament Commentary Set, 12 Volumes. Grand Rapids: Baker Book House)

Gender is not an issue. There are no neuter antecedents. When that happens, the commin way tk transkate is either take the closest word (like I and others do), or it refers to the group of mixed gender words.

Gender is not an issue. There are no neuter antecedents. When that happens, the commin way tk transkate is either take the closest word (like I and others do), or it refers to the group of mixed gender words.
Ok, for now I will take your word for it. The question that seems obvious to me is why all of these reputable exegetes make the case (what rules are they utilizing that trump what you are claiming) that touto should not be considered to be referring to faith?

... and others say

"In the first clause, which emphasizes the divine initiative and activity, some have taken this to refer specifically to faith, which immediately precedes. The point being made, then, is that the response of faith does not come from any human source but is God’s gift. This interpretation is grammatically possible, assuming that the term denotes faith and not Christ’s faithfulness, and it is consistent with Pauline teaching elsewhere (cf. Phil. 1:29). However, the context demands that this be understood of salvation by grace as a whole, including the faith (or faithfulness) through which it is received." Peter O'Brien Pillar Commentary

"Paul intends to emphasize that even faith is not from us apart from God’s giving it.
Some have objected to this interpretation, saying that faith (pistis) is feminine, while that (touto) is neuter. That poses no problem, however, as long as it is understood that that does not refer precisely to the noun faith but to the act of believing. Further, this interpretation makes the best sense of the text," MacArthur

"Ephesians 2:8 (EBC Eph-Phm): Lest faith should be in any way misinterpreted as man’s contribution to his own salvation, Paul immediately adds a rider to explain that nothing is of our own doing but everything is in the gift of God. Does “and this” (kai touto) connect with “faith,” with “saved,” or with the entire clause? Probably the latter interpretation is preferable. Hence Barclay translates: “The whole process comes from nothing that we have done or could do.” The element of “givenness” applies to faith as well as to grace, for faith is a direct outcome of hearing the saving message (Rom 10:17)." Expositors

In all. Faith is not conjured up within man. God gives saving faith.

... and others say

"In the first clause, which emphasizes the divine initiative and activity, some have taken this to refer specifically to faith, which immediately precedes. The point being made, then, is that the response of faith does not come from any human source but is God’s gift. This interpretation is grammatically possible, assuming that the term denotes faith and not Christ’s faithfulness, and it is consistent with Pauline teaching elsewhere (cf. Phil. 1:29). However, the context demands that this be understood of salvation by grace as a whole, including the faith (or faithfulness) through which it is received." Peter O'Brien Pillar Commentary

"Paul intends to emphasize that even faith is not from us apart from God’s giving it.
Some have objected to this interpretation, saying that faith (pistis) is feminine, while that (touto) is neuter. That poses no problem, however, as long as it is understood that that does not refer precisely to the noun faith but to the act of believing. Further, this interpretation makes the best sense of the text," MacArthur

"Ephesians 2:8 (EBC Eph-Phm): Lest faith should be in any way misinterpreted as man’s contribution to his own salvation, Paul immediately adds a rider to explain that nothing is of our own doing but everything is in the gift of God. Does “and this” (kai touto) connect with “faith,” with “saved,” or with the entire clause? Probably the latter interpretation is preferable. Hence Barclay translates: “The whole process comes from nothing that we have done or could do.” The element of “givenness” applies to faith as well as to grace, for faith is a direct outcome of hearing the saving message (Rom 10:17)." Expositors

In all. Faith is not conjured up within man. God gives saving faith.
OK, but all of that back-and-forth just essentially validates what I originally said, that the passage is reasonably disputed as to whether or not the gift in Ephesians 2 is referring to faith. And the interpretations, as you pointed out earlier, may very well be tethered to a theological presuppositional bias.

Where I will concede my own tender underbelly on this issue is that though I do believe that it’s arguable that faith is originally given by God and not something that humans supply by God’s grace, I have always struggled with the notion that in this soteriological scheme it is hard to argue that such an attribute is not somehow worthy of “boasting” about as a good thing that I possessed. But then I have also concluded on the other side of that ledger is that faith by its very nature looks outward and not inward, so nobody who possesses true saving faith would ever arrive at the conclusion that the faith they have is anything other than by the grace of God. And now back to the other side of my Cal/Anti-Cal 2-sided mouth😁, every good gift comes from above.😉

Last edited:
A return to the OP and its main thrust, that the proper definitions of terms is exceedingly useful if there's to be any mutually beneficial conversation (which is basically the reason for my initiating the argument(s) over the nature of the dispute in Ephesians 2 regarding the referent of "gift"), so in light of that idea I offer this quote (from a reformed Baptist nonetheless)...

“Unfortunately, the label ‘Hyper-Calvinist’ is used frequently in our day to insult or ridicule anyone who is more Calvinistic than oneself. As far as the Pelagians are concerned, semi-Pelagians are Hyper-Calvinists. As far as semi-Pelagians are concerned, Arminians are Hyper-Calvinists. As far as Arminians are concerned, four-point Calvinists are Hyper-Calvinists. As far as four-point Calvinists are concerned, five-point Calvinists are Hyper-Calvinists. Depending on where you find yourself on the theological spectrum, everyone (except the Pelagian) is a Hyper-Calvinist. Oh yes, and as far as authentic Hyper-Calvinists are concerned, everyone else is just confused!”--Link