"Service" vs. "experience"

HeDied4U

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Over the past couple / few months, I've noticed that our pastor (and other leaders in the church) has been, more and more, referring to our services as "experiences" instead, as in "after the 8:30 experience is over, stick around for a time of fellowship in the cafe." It's even begun showing up in church publications (i.e., the bulletin, newsletters and online). Not sure yet what I think about this. On the one hand, it's been a "service" for as far back as I can remember and "church service" has a nice, albeit traditional, ring to it. On the other hand, people sould expect to experience God when they come to worship Him, so I can sort of understand why some would call the gathering an "experience." Maybe I'm just set in my (old'ish) ways and am resistant to change and live by the seven dreaded words 'visionary' pastors hate to hear..."we've never done it that way before." LOL!!

Would like to hear what y'all think of "service" vs. "experience."

:)

Is he influenced by Blackaby? He wrote a book called "Experiencing God" and it is popular in our church--not so much with me :)

The Assembly was never service.

earnestly contend

OTOH, "experience" God on your own.
Worship God on your own.
Assemble with the believers for edification.

earnestly contend

We have a general meeting in a few weeks. I'm going to move that we start calling our services "happenings." Or "wingdings." I'm undecided.