So, what does it mean to be called?

Norefund

Elect
Reaction score
In another thread, there has been some debate about a blog by former FBC members and whether they are in the position that God "called them" to be in. This is a concept that I have never fully understood. How exactly does this work? When I was 12, I thought I was "called of God" to be a preacher as were many of my peers. Because of the intoxicating and powerful presence of a huge superstar - in my mind and the mind of most at FBC at the time - I think I was justifying my own desire to be that kind of powerful man as "God's Will." My guess is that I am not alone in that kind of self desire/call. As I grew and matured, I made choices based on careful consideration and prayer but I have never at the time thought any of my choices were the absolute call of God. I have always been in secular positions so maybe that is blurring the distinction for me but I have never really understood the concept. In retrospect, some of my choices seem to have propelled a chain of events that have worked out tremendously for my family and quite a few others that may include future generations. Should I consider that as retroactive calling?

I don't mean to make light of anyone's belief or profession. I just want to know how you know that choosing a line of work or a specific location to work is a call from God instead of a choice you make yourself. Enlighten me.

Theologian Dallas Willard put it this way:

There truly is no division between sacred and secular except what we have created. And that is why the division of the legitimate roles and functions of human life into the sacred and secular does incalculable damage to our individual lives and to the cause of Christ. Holy people must stop going into "church work" as their natural course of action and take up holy orders in farming, industry, law, education, banking, and journalism with the same zeal previously given to evangelism or to pastoral and missionary work.

Wherever you are now, wherever you spend the majority of your time

Norefund said:
In another thread, there has been some debate about a blog by former FBC members and whether they are in the position that God "called them" to be in. This is a concept that I have never fully understood. How exactly does this work? When I was 12, I thought I was "called of God" to be a preacher as were many of my peers. Because of the intoxicating and powerful presence of a huge superstar - in my mind and the mind of most at FBC at the time - I think I was justifying my own desire to be that kind of powerful man as "God's Will." My guess is that I am not alone in that kind of self desire/call. As I grew and matured, I made choices based on careful consideration and prayer but I have never at the time thought any of my choices were the absolute call of God. I have always been in secular positions so maybe that is blurring the distinction for me but I have never really understood the concept. In retrospect, some of my choices seem to have propelled a chain of events that have worked out tremendously for my family and quite a few others that may include future generations. Should I consider that as retroactive calling?

I don't mean to make light of anyone's belief or profession. I just want to know how you know that choosing a line of work or a specific location to work is a call from God instead of a choice you make yourself. Enlighten me.

I went to Bible college and have been in the ministry for 7 years. I have been a pastor for 2 years. I can't say that there was a special moment when bells and whistles went off and I was "called" of God. I know that God called me into the ministry because He put that desire in my heart.

I cannot imagine doing anything else with my life. I believe that God has given me the spiritual gift of "pastor" (if He gave me the gift of evangelism, my car would be transformed into an R.V.).  ;) When people are born again, it is important to use the gifts the Spirit gives them.

I believe some of the IFB methods of getting young men to be "called to preach" in the heat of a moment are somewhat irresponsible. I don't think they are completely uncalled for (many who surrender to the "call" have been thinking about it long before the meeting in which they make the "decision"). I just think that some of the pressure tactics are more man centered than Christ-centered.

myeyesareopen said:
Theologian Dallas Willard put it this way:

There truly is no division between sacred and secular except what we have created. And that is why the division of the legitimate roles and functions of human life into the sacred and secular does incalculable damage to our individual lives and to the cause of Christ. Holy people must stop going into "church work" as their natural course of action and take up holy orders in farming, industry, law, education, banking, and journalism with the same zeal previously given to evangelism or to pastoral and missionary work.

Wherever you are now, wherever you spend the majority of your time

Many are called, but few are chosen. 
  If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good thing.
  Do the work of an evangelist.
  Go ye therefore, into all the world..

Anishinabe

I Samuel 3:2-10  And it came to pass at that time, when Eli was laid down in his place, and his eyes began to wax dim, that he could not see;

3 And ere the lamp of God went out in the temple of the Lord, where the ark of God was, and Samuel was laid down to sleep;

4 That the Lord called Samuel: and he answered, Here am I.

5 And he ran unto Eli, and said, Here am I; for thou calledst me. And he said, I called not; lie down again. And he went and lay down.

6 And the Lord called yet again, Samuel. And Samuel arose and went to Eli, and said, Here am I; for thou didst call me. And he answered, I called not, my son; lie down again.

7 Now Samuel did not yet know the Lord, neither was the word of the Lord yet revealed unto him.

8 And the Lord called Samuel again the third time. And he arose and went to Eli, and said, Here am I; for thou didst call me. And Eli perceived that the Lord had called the child.

9 Therefore Eli said unto Samuel, Go, lie down: and it shall be, if he call thee, that thou shalt say, Speak, Lord; for thy servant heareth. So Samuel went and lay down in his place.

10 And the Lord came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

remnant said:

4 That the Lord called Samuel: and he answered, Here am I.

6 And the Lord called yet again, Samuel. And Samuel arose and went to Eli, and said, Here am I; for thou didst call me. And he answered, I called not, my son; lie down again.

8 And the Lord called Samuel again the third time. And he arose and went to Eli, and said, Here am I; for thou didst call me. And Eli perceived that the Lord had called the child.

It would be nice to actually hear the voice of the Lord, but it seems like that doesn't happen in our modern era. Anyone who does hear it usually winds up in a headline for a mass shooting or an insane asylum.

Barring that, my question was the mechanics of the "call." A strong desire of the heart, a door that opens, overwhelming factors, etc - are these the things that make up a calling?

Or (heresy alert!) is there no such thing?