So Where Are *YOUR* Converts?

IFB X-Files

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
I got a kick out of RAIDER (don't we all) making fun of someone only spending 10 hours out soul winning.

But it got me thinking about all the converts those on this forum surely had during those days of HAC.  What became of them?  Do you still keep in contact with any?

They are a notch in my 1611 KJV!  :)

I just went to the local Catholic High school walked into a class room with a room full of priest. Went through the Romans road with them and all 36 of prayed and got saved.

So, I know for sure that 36 of them are on there way to heaven.

It was really simple. They acknowledged they were sinners believed Jesus died for their sins, acknowledged Jesus was the only way to heaven and BAM!! got them to pray!

It's really easy to get someone saved. I've led someone to get saved at least once a day for the last 20 years, like many of the greats.

Bruh said:
It's really easy to get someone saved. I've led someone to get saved at least once a day for the last 20 years, like many of the greats.

And we have the newsprint to identify them!

david-hyles-greatest-men.jpg

Actually, I do have a handful I keep in touch with via fb from back in my Bible Club days. They warm my heart very much...

Tom Brennan said:
Actually, I do have a handful I keep in touch with via fb from back in my Bible Club days. They warm my heart very much...

A "handful" is really great.  With all the bragging that goes on in IFB circles about soul winning, in my experience it's a rare thing to have a relationship with anyone you led to the Lord, discipled, seen baptized and helped them to grow.

The last convert I had that type of relation with was Don Falk.  I led him to the Lord when we lived in Las Vegas.  (Saucer parked at Area 51 for service).

I often think of some of the families we reached years ago on our bus route in So. CA.  Fifteen years ago I was driving through the old bus route area and stopped by a house.  I got out just to look around and a girl came up and asked what I was doing.  I told her I used to pick a teen up here on our bus.  She asked who?  I said Ken Skaggs.  She said, "He still lives here.  I'm his wife".  He came out and told me he was in the house reading his Bible!  Still in church!

There's a grave of a 5 yr. old boy in Hobart, IN.  He was murdered by his own father.  Keith rode Miss Donna's bus to Liberty Baptist in Lake Station where my wife and I taught him in Jr. Church.  That boy loved Miss Donna and loved coming to church.

We can't get'em all but we can get a few.  It *WILL* Be Worth It All, When We See Jesus!

IFB X-Files said:
Tom Brennan said:

A "handful" is really great.  With all the bragging that goes on in IFB circles about soul winning, in my experience it's a rare thing to have a relationship with anyone you led to the Lord, discipled, seen baptized and helped them to grow.

I have to DISAGREE with you about it being a rare thing to have a relationship with ANYONE you led to the Lord, discipled, seen baptized and helped them to grow in IFB circles unless things are much worse in IFB circles than I can imagine.

Many parents have led their children to the Lord, discipled them for several years, seen them baptized, and even helped them grow as any halfway decent parent would attempt to do. Some grandparents then continue with their children, their children's spouses, and maybe even the grandchildren, if the Lord so blesses them.

I am not disagreeing if you exclude family, but to me, family is a pretty important inclusion with any discussion concerning salvation, discipling, and having a continued relationship. Ask anyone 50-60 + years old, etc...

But, you already knew that.  :)

I keep their brains in formaldehyde filled jars in my den. 

Matthew1323 said:
IFB X-Files said:
Tom Brennan said:

I have to DISAGREE with you about it being a rare thing to have a relationship with ANYONE you led to the Lord, discipled, seen baptized and helped them to grow in IFB circles unless things are much worse in IFB circles than I can imagine.

Many parents have led their children to the Lord, discipled them for several years, seen them baptized, and even helped them grow as any halfway decent parent would attempt to do. Some grandparents then continue with their children, their children's spouses, and maybe even the grandchildren, if the Lord so blesses them.

I am not disagreeing if you exclude family, but to me, family is a pretty important inclusion with any discussion concerning salvation, discipling, and having a continued relationship. Ask anyone 50-60 + years old, etc...

But, you already knew that.  :)

Amen!  No argument from me!  However, my point was more non-family, but who cares!

I have always thought, strictly from a great commission standpoint, most fundamentalist miss the most important step. Without growth of the new convert the soul winner never replicates themselves. They never see the long term results of Gods plan. 

Strictly from a number standpoint which is better seeing 10 people saved a month but never seeing them grow,  or seeing one convert saved a month but then helping them get into a good church (not necessarily your own), growing spiritually, becoming a faithful witness and repeating the same process. Over time the second program with continue to multiply itself and reach many more people for Christ. How many converts could one of your converts see saved over a lifetime if you invested time in them.

I understand we can not, in our own power, do anything to get someone saved. On the other hand God has chosen to use us as his main method to see people come to him.

My biggest failure as a witness is the followup on converts after their conversion. I have often wondered what the results would be if I spent one week a month going out soul winning and 3 weeks a month following up, encouraging and when possible discipling my converts.   

sword said:
I have always thought, strictly from a great commission standpoint, most fundamentalist miss the most important step. Without growth of the new convert the soul winner never replicates themselves. They never see the long term results of Gods plan. 

Strictly from a number standpoint which is better seeing 10 people saved a month but never seeing them grow,  or seeing one convert saved a month but then helping them get into a good church (not necessarily your own), growing spiritually, becoming a faithful witness and repeating the same process. Over time the second program with continue to multiply itself and reach many more people for Christ. How many converts could one of your converts see saved over a lifetime if you invested time in them.

Which is better?  This is a bit of a false choice - under most modern "soul-winning" methods, the 10 you describe may not be saved.  IFB is far to quick to count someone as saved if they can be manipulated into saying a prayer. Salvation changes a life: they don't instantly become perfect Christians, but there is a change that should be evident.  Ten "saved" who have no interest in God or His church or His word are very likely not saved.

Having got that rant off my chest, ten truly saved are probably better -- just because salvation is the best thing of all, and ten lives translated to heaven is better than one life.

But I whole-heartedly agree with you that we tend to fall down on the 3rd part of the so-called Great Commission.  Probably because #1 and #2 are easy to brag on and compare, but how does one compare or brag about the number of people growing in Christ?

Walt said:
... but how does one compare or brag about the number of people growing in Christ?

That's easily done "down South" where church splits and sheep stealing are proof of "growth".

Walt said:
sword said:

Which is better?  This is a bit of a false choice - under most modern "soul-winning" methods, the 10 you describe may not be saved.  IFB is far to quick to count someone as saved if they can be manipulated into saying a prayer. Salvation changes a life: they don't instantly become perfect Christians, but there is a change that should be evident.  Ten "saved" who have no interest in God or His church or His word are very likely not saved.

Having got that rant off my chest, ten truly saved are probably better -- just because salvation is the best thing of all, and ten lives translated to heaven is better than one life.

But I whole-heartedly agree with you that we tend to fall down on the 3rd part of the so-called Great Commission.  Probably because #1 and #2 are easy to brag on and compare, but how does one compare or brag about the number of people growing in Christ?
When I witness to someone, I spend lots of time and try to be very thorough.  Unfortunately, even if they do accept Christ on the spot, there is rarely any spark of desire to go forward in their new found faith.
It's frustrating to me and often gets me down.
But I have to go back my own conversion.
Several people witnessed to me when I went to the University of Pittsburgh.
I even prayed a prayer when two Campus Crusaders for Christ buttonholed me at a party they put on for that very purpose, to witness.
But nothing really happened in my life until Keith Hanson witnessed to me after I went into the Air Force a year later.
It was then when I fully understood Eph. 2:8,9.
So, one person planted a seed, another watered, Keith Hanson reaped the harvest.
I still know one of the people who was in the process God used at Pitt, and I thank him profusely for witnessing to me.
Keith Hanson is one of my best friends in the world.
The Campus Crusaders will reap their rewards in heaven.

16KJV11 said:
Unfortunately, even if they do accept Christ on the spot, there is rarely any spark of desire to go forward in their new found faith.
It's frustrating to me and often gets me down.

If A, then B.

Might want to reevaluate whether the given was valid.