Spirit of fear or spirit of timidity

A

admin

I recently ran into a KJVO who made a big deal out of the NIV using the word "timidity."

2 Timothy 1:7:  For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

NIV: For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.

Unfortunately, to make their case, they replied, "I have no fear of anything." Not only is that a  dishonest statement, it fails to understand the context. (I pointed out the meaning in the Greek, but as you would imagine, that fell on deaf ears).

admin said:
I recently ran into a KJVO...

Unfortunately, to make their case, they replied, "I have no fear of anything."

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom.  ;)

rsc2a said:
admin said:

Should we then approach the throne of grace timidly?  ;)

rsc2a said:
admin said:

1Jo 4:18
18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear:because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

It is not the end.

Anishinaabe

This is yet another example of differences in the two translations.  You know my position - the KJV is a correct translation for the English speaking people, therefore I need no other.

Fear and Timid imply different emotions.  Fear is either the result of misplaced faith or an abiding reverence, depending on how it is being used.  Timid is slightly different - it implies that I will try, but with great care. 

Some see no difference between the two and claim the general idea is the same.  I prefer the KJV translation as the wording chosen displays a deeper truth that is supported by the rest of the passage.  How 'bout that?  A fundy is interested in context!